The state of California is home to 40 million U.S. residents, 1 in 8 people live there. The population dwarfs that of Canada while the place ranks third amongst the largest territories in the U.S.
It has long been home to Native Americans. Many of the Native American tribes including the Quechan (Yuma), Maidu, Pomo, and Hupa all lived in California.
California Facts Trivia Questions and Answers
If you’re looking for a place to sharpen your innovative skills, then a visit to California’s innovation hubs will do you good. Many innovations were created in California, this includes wetsuits, skateboards, Barbie dolls, Apple products, Frisbee, and even the Internet.
The County of San Francisco is known as “The City of Dogs,” this is attributed to its unusually large population of various Dogs. It is estimated that in 2016, there were about 150,000 dogs, a larger population compared to that of children (115, 000 babies).
Ready to explore California? You can learn more from our California trivia questions and answers as shown below.
1. California is located on what coast of the United States?
2. What is the name of the States capital city?
3. Where does California rank in population compared to all the other states?
4. Where does California rank in the area compared to the rest of the states?
5. How many state parks are there here?
6. What state borders California to the north?
7. What is the average life expectancy for CA residents?
8. Where does California rank in population compared to all the other states?
9. What sport do the Los Angeles Lakers play?
10. Where does California rank in area compared to the rest of the states?
11. Can you name the 4 major US TV broadcast networks with production facilities in CA?
12. California was admitted as the 31st US state on what date?
13. Can you name the rival LA street gang to the Crips?
14. California’s geography ranges from the Pacific Coast in the west, to the what in the east?
15. What did CA residents think had happened when smog first seized the skies of Los Angeles in 1943?
16. The center of California is dominated by what major agricultural area?
17. What animal is featured on the official flag of California?
18. California contains both the highest and lowest points in the contiguous United States. What are they?
19. What kind of animal is raised more here than in any other state?
20. How does California rank as far as the length of its coastline compared to the other states?
21. What type of geological activity is a common occurrence due to the state’s location along the Pacific Ring of Fire?
22. How many of the 6 homes on a cul de sac just off Mulholland Drive, situated by the eastern Santa Monica Mountains, does Johnny Depp own?
23. How much of the fresh fruit produced in the US comes from California?
24. What LA residential neighborhood was home to the Banks family featuring fresh-prince Will Smith?
25. If California were a country, where would its economy rank in the world?
26. The name California is most commonly believed to have derived from a fictional paradise peopled by Black Amazons and ruled by Queen Calafial in a land inhabited by griffins and other strange beasts, and rich in what?
27. How much did Jennifer Anniston pay for her Bel Air mansion in 2011?
28. In the middle of California lies the Central Valley, with coastal mountain ranges in the west, the Sierra Nevada mountains to the east, the Cascade Range mountains in the north and what mountains in the south?
29. George Clooney purchased his Studio Hills home in 1995. He resides here to this day with his wife; what is her name?
30. What is the highest peak in the contiguous 48 states?
31. For how much has Ellen Degeneres recently put her LA Tuscan-style estate on the market?
32. California’s Sequoia National Park is where you can find the largest living organisms on Earth, which are what?
33. Brad Pitt has a bunch of Hollywood properties. In addition to homes, what kind of park does he own?
34. California’s Clear Lake is the largest freshwater lake by area that is completely within California’s what?
36. About how much of California’s area is covered by forests?
37. Leonardo DiCaprio purchased his Hollywood mansion in 1997 for $2 million. How much is this property valued today?
38. California has more forestland than any other state except what state?
39. What is wrapped around Justin Beiber’s Hollywood mansion?
40. What is the south-central desert is named?
41. Jenny From the Block singer Jennifer Lopez recently purchased a $40 million estate in LA. Where does this star originate?
42. Northeast of the Mojave desert lies Death Valley, which has the lowest and hottest place in North America which is called what?
43. Who was the equally famous next-door neighbor of Jack Nickleson for decades on Mulholland Drive?
44. Which river forms the border with Arizona?
45. In what year did Disneyland open?
46. Much of California has what type of climate, with cool, rainy winters and dry summers?
47. The highest temperature in the world of 134 °F was recorded in California’s death valley on what date?
48. What is the name of CAs famous donut shop?
49. The state flower of California is what?
50. The supposed escape-proof Alcatraz prison closed as a prison in what year?
51. The vast majority of rivers in California are “what” as part of two huge water projects: the Central Valley Project, and the California State Water Project?
52. The largest national park outside of Alaska is in California. What is it called?
53. What does the California State Water project do?
54. What roams around Disneyland at night to keep rodents away?
55. What body regulates California’s coasts, rivers, and other bodies of water?
56. How many years did it take to construct the Golden Gate Bridge?
57. The In California, two most prominent rivers are the Sacramento River and what other river?
58. San Diego Zoo is the most visited zoo in the US. How many animals reside here?
59. California’s indigenous peoples included more than how many distinct groups of Native Americans?
60. How many hours of TV per day do CA watch, on average?
61. In 1542, a Spanish sailing expedition, led by Portuguese captain Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo was the first exploration of the coast as far north as the what?
62. Those in charge of the State are pretty health-conscious. How many health and safety laws apply here?
63. The Golden State was first to ban what in workplaces, bars, and restaurants in 1998?
64. In the early 1800s imperial Russia established a trading post at what location?
65. The above had a huge effect. The national medium for smoking is 21.1%. What is it in California?
66. In 1846 settlers rebelled against Mexican rule during what revolt?
67. On September 9, 1850, California was admitted to the Union as a free state, thus denying the expansion of slavery to the what?
68. By percentage, how many households own at least one pet?
69. What percentage of properties here are known to be vacant?
70. Where was the seat of government for California located under Spanish and later Mexican rule?
71. In 1869 the first Transcontinental Railroad was completed through what pass in the Sierra Nevada mountains?
72. What is the poverty rate in CA?
73. California has the largest population of White Americans in the U.S. with an estimated how many residents?
74. In the U.S., California has the 5th largest population of what group?
75. California’s interconnected water system is the world’s largest, managing how many acre feet per annum?
76. How many counties are there in California?
77. What is the Time Zone of California?
78. Do you know the total area of California State in square miles?
79. What is the Highest Point in California?
80. What is California’s state motto?
81. In which categories history of California is divided?
82. What is California’s state mineral?
83. Which is the largest living tree in the world located in California?
84. What is the size of the trunk of the tree?
85. What is California’s state gemstone?
86. What is the name of the state’s largest mountain?
87. What is the state marine mammal?
88. What was the estimated population of California when the Europeans came?
89. What is California’s state fossil?
90. What is California’s state song?
91. Name the tribes in California?
92. What is California’s state bird?
93. Why did the Franciscans came to California?
94. What is California’s state Animal
95. What are the percentage of Spanish speakers in California?
96. What is the most popular food in California?
97. Do you remember the ISO 3166 code for California?
98. What is Source of Klamath River?
99. What is the trade abbreviation of California?
100. Yerba Buena was the original name of which place?
101. What was the strongest factor in developing California?
102. On 3 May 1535, where Cortes entered with three ships?
103. Who and when California was claimed from for England?
104. When did the explorer Sir Francis Drake died?
105. Where is the Monterey Bay located?
106. When did Alta California became a territory of Mexico?
107. Who established the first Alta California mission?
108. When was the first legislator of California created?
109. Which fruits are largely produced in the state California?
110. What is the EPIC reform movement?
111. Why the Republican governor Earl Warren resigned in 1953?
112. The national parks of the state are devoted for what?
113. What was the shortcut route for getting from the East Coast to California?