Mexico has so much more to offer than just tacos, beer, and breathtaking beaches. The country has a rich history, wonderful museums, and a plethora of natural wonders. It is home to the newest seven wonders of the world – Chicken Itza!
Mexico is the home birth of the famous artist, Frida Kahlo, who is well known for her fantastical self-portraits. Read on to learn about many other Mexican talented individuals!
Mexico Facts Trivia Questions and Answers
Did you know that Mexico is the Latin American country with the highest number of international visitors and is ranked 10 worldwide? This comes as no surprise given Mexico’s diverse cultural heritage and nature.
These insights into Mexican culture can be very revealing when it comes to understanding a country and its people. Want to learn more about Mexican culture? Take up this Mexico trivia quiz!
1. What state of Mexico is the ancient Mayan city of Uxmal located in?
2. What is the capital of Mexico?
3. What year did the Mexican revolution take place?
4. About 90% of the state of Oaxaca is covered by which type of terrain?
5. How many people live in Mexico?
6. True or false, the United Mexican States is the correct way to say Mexico’s name in English?
7. Okay, a general question for an opener. Which Mexican state would you find Cancun?
8. What year did the Mexican-American war end?
9. Being from the United States, to get to Mexico I take Duran Duran’s advice and “dance across” this famous river to traverse the border from Texas into Mexico. Which river is this that Duran Duran sang of?
10. What bird is on Mexico’s flag?
11. What colors are Mexico’s flag?
12. Spaniard Fermin Mundaca arrived on the shores of Isla Mujeres in 1858 after acquiring his wealth selling captured Mayan slaves and, some say, pirating. He is buried in which of the following places?
13. What continent is Mexico on?
14. Where is the Aztec Empire located?
15. What year did New Mexico claim independence from Mexico and join America?
16. In what Mexican state is Mazatlan located?
17. How many States are in Mexico?
18. What year did the Mexican victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla end?
19. Jalisco is home to Mexico’s largest freshwater lake, which is located near the city of Guadalajara. What is it called?
20. What is the official language of Mexico?
21. Who were the first people to make civilization in Mexico?
22. Where is the city of Huatulco?
23. Mexico is home to the world’s largest what?
24. What dishes is Mexico famous for?
25. “El Malecon” (the boardwalk) is where a regularly occurring event takes place. What is that event?
26. The National University of Mexico is the oldest university in North America. Built in 1551, how many years older, is it, than Harvard University?
27. What is the national animal of Mexico?
28. Who is the president of Mexico as of 2021?
29. You’re strolling in any plaza (town square) on a Sunday afternoon. Along comes a group of musicians, playing and singing, dressed in fancy, tight-fitting suits and large sombreros. What are these musicians called?
30. Our first stop was the colonial city of Puebla. Puebla was the site of a historic battle that took place on May 5, 1862. The Mexicans were victorious over which country’s army?
31. What is the national sport of Mexico?
32. At approximately 17,800 feet, what is the second-highest natural peak of Mexico?
33. The world’s smallest dog breed originated in Mexico; what is the breed’s name?
34. What is soccer in the United States called in Mexico?
35. Which port city, whose name translates to “Hidden Port”, hosts surfing competitions at Zicatela Beach?
36. What is the largest wild cat to be found in Mexico?
37. What bugs are commonly eaten in Mexico?
38. Downtown Cancun comprises supermanzanas (superblocks), but what is the central downtown area best known as?
39. What is Mexico’s currency?
40. Where is the world’s smallest volcano?
41. From which country did Mexico get its independence?
42. Originating in Mexico, this invention’s first transmission happened in 1943.
43. What sweet dessert was given to the world by Mexico?
44. The Villa Rolandi Thalasso is a spa, gourmet and beach club, listed in the directory of Small Luxury Hotels of the World. To which of the following world leaders and his spouse did it once play host?
45. If someone said ‘te amo’ to you in Mexico, what would they mean?
46. What church is probably Puerto Vallarta’s best-known attraction?
47. Where was the meteorite responsible for the extinction of dinosaurs’ land?
48. In any plaza, you’ll come across a cantina (bar) where Mexico’s national alcoholic beverage is served. It’s distilled from the maguey (or agave) succulent. You’ll need it for your margaritas. Can you name this beverage?
49. How long has Mexican cuisine been around?
50. Our next destination was the capital of the state of Veracruz. Can you name this city?
51. What type of fat are a lot of Mexican dishes fried in?
52. How many active volcanos can be found in Mexico?
53. This volcano, located in the state of Puebla, has semi-frequent eruptions usually resulting in little more than ash and steam.
54. German explorer and geographer Alexander von Humboldt described what city of Mexico as “The City of Eternal Spring” in the early 1800s?
55. Where is cheese-making traditionally done in Mexico?
56. In terms of rank, where does Mexico sit in terms of being the largest country in the world?
57. Oaxaca has a variety of climates, but which one of the following would you not experience on a trip to Oaxaca?
58. What ingredient is often added to Mexican desserts?
59. How many people cross the USA and Mexico border each year?
60. To travel from the airport to the downtown area, tourists must take which main road in Cancun?
61. How much is the Mexican restaurant sector worth in the US?
62. How many islands are scattered across the coast of Mexico?
63. The Mexican national anthem also mentions “mountains and valleys” more generally (besides any that specifically deal with ruined cities) but tell me, which of these mountain ranges is not at all within Mexico and therefore could NOT be applied to the anthem?
64. Also known as the Alligator Pear, what is the main ingredient for guacamole?
65. What type of salad was invented in Mexico?
66. What countries border Mexico?
67. In what year were nachos invented?
68. True or false, Mexico City is the 8th wealthiest city in the world?
69. In 2002, the ban on which Mexican-grown fruit being imported into the US was lifted?
70. Tacos are traditionally made using what type of tortilla?
71. What Guinness World Record in Mexico City known for?
72. If you’re vacationing in Cabo San Lucas, in which Mexican state are you?
73. What is the date of Mexican Independence day?
74. Where is the largest university in the world?
75. What are the names of Mazatlan’s main islands?
76. How many taxis are in operation in Mexico City?
77. What is Huatulco known for primarily?
78. What state is Puerto Vallarta in?
79. What was the occupation of the man who led the Mexican war for independence?
80. How many years did the war for independence last?
81. How many airports can be found in Mexico?
82. This delicious traditional dish is made with a corn dough (masa) wrapped around meat or other fillings, which is then wrapped in corn husks and steamed. Can you name this Mexican favorite?
83. True or False: Mexico’s Independence Day is a national holiday?
84. How long do Mexican Independence Day celebrations go on for?
85. The official Mexican flag features 3 colors; which color represents independence?
86. Near Xalapa is Mexico’s highest mountain. What is the name of this snowcapped peak?
87. What does a traditional holiday piñata have to have?
88. Which U.S. state does Tijuana share a border with?
89. What traditional Christmas plant is native to Mexico?
90. What is the westernmost city of Mexico?
91. The Selva Zoque region of Mexico, important for its large expanses of tropical forest and its biodiversity, is located in Oaxaca and which two other states?
92. On what date do people open Christmas gifts in Mexico?
93. Christmas eve is when the real celebration happens in Mexico and when the festive meal is served. In addition to turkey, what other 2 dishes are traditionally served?
94. Cancun is home to which of the following beautiful soccer stadiums, home to FC Atlante?
95. Well, what about the valleys mentioned in the national anthem – which of these is the common name for the valley where Mexico City is situated?
96. What Christmas decorations are more popular than trees in Mexico?
97. Mexico is home to the largest ever angel ornament, it was made out of 2946 old what?
98. What does Cinco de Mayo commemorate?
99. What does a red rose mean in Mexico?
100. Which major resort city is situated in the Mexican state of Guerrero?
101. What is the time zone of Mexico?
102. What is the name of the Mazatlan Airport?
103. Which famous actress was born in Mexico?
104. Is Mexico all desert?
105. Who was Frida Kahlo’s husband?
106. In which sea is Isla Mujeres located?
107. When was Mexico City built?
108. A short 200km day trip from Cancun finds a visitor reveling in the beauty of El Castillo, a structure within which of the New Seven Wonders of the World?
109. How many ethnic groups are there in Mexico?
110. What is the Median age in Mexico?
111. Within the Cancun hotel zone there is also a lesser known Mayan ruins complex famous for its tame iguanas. What is the name of this tourist spot?
112. Which mountain range does Puerto Vallarta lie near?
113. Mexico is located in one of the most seismically active areas of the world named
114. What was Lila Downs’ first album?
115. What is the oldest Mexican soccer team?
116. Which Mexican singer is nicknamed “El Charro de Huentitán”, “El Ídolo de México”, and “El Rey de la Música Ranchera”?
117. What is the national fish of Mexico?
118. Which British author wrote ‘Under the Volcano’?
119. Who is the highest-paid soccer player in Mexico?
120. Which author wrote ‘The Death of Artemio Cruz’?