So any time you are in the outdoors, horse riding in your cowboy boots and a cowboy hat, you can’t fail to feel the country music vibe as portrayed by most artists.
Country Music Trivia Questions and Answers
There is something Kenny Roger’s music does to your soul, and all you want to do is sing along or cry it out. Something to do with the twang in the artists’ voice or the message conveyed.
Is your Country music knowledge in key, or does your memory miss some beats? Test your knowledge with these country music trivia questions and answers.
1. Which singer famously played two live shows at Folsom Prison in January 1968?
2. Country music has its root in the folksongs of which region?
3. In 1980, which country legend had a number one hit with “He Stopped Loving Her Today”?
4. Which country music star wrote and first recorded “I Will Always Love You”, a song which later became one of the biggest selling singles of all time for Whitney Houston?
5. Which country legend duetted with Julio Iglesias on 1984 single, “To All the Girls I’ve Loved Before”?
6. Which river became a crossroad for country music?
7. In which city is there a famous mural celebrating country legends?
8. In Bobby Gentry’s “Ode to Billie Joe”, what is the name of the bridge that Billie Joe McAllister jumps off?
9. What is popularly called the birthplace of country music?
10. “Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)” was the first single released by which singer?
11. Why is Tennessee called the birthplace of country music?
12. Who replaced Taylor Swift on the Nashville mural that celebrated country legends?
13. Which singer, known as “The King of Country”, won a Grammy in 2009 for his album “Troubadour”?
14. Which convention, held in 1925, helped inspire modern country music?
15. Who is the best-selling female artist in country music history?
16. Which influential country singer-songwriter died at the age of just 29, while being driven to perform a concert in Ohio on New Year’s Day, 1953?
17. Which city in the ’20s gave rise to the first generation of country music’s earliest recording artists?
18. How many records has Shania Twain sold?
19. Billie Jo Spears hit the number one spot on the Billboard country chart in 1975, with which song?
20. In which year did James Gideon Tanner, one of the first stars of country music, die?
21. Which singer recorded the first country song to sell one million copies?
22. Which singer, who has won more Grammy awards than any other male country music artist, was hired by the Eagles in 2017, following the death of Glenn Frey?
23. What was the name of James Gideon Tanner’s band which was popular in the ’30s country music scene?
24. Which Loretta Lynn song inspired a 1980 biographical film of the same name?
25. Who rose to fame with their debut single “She’s in Love with the Boy” in 1991?
26. Who did the vocals for the Skillet Lickers?
27. The dissatisfaction with Nashville music and the aftermath of the British invasion resulted in which crossbred genre?
28. In the late 60s and early 70s, Dolly Parton had a regular spot on which country singer’s weekly syndicated TV show?
29. Which was the first record label to start issuing so-called ‘Hillbilly Music’?
30. Whose album “Not a Moment Too Soon”, featuring the number one record of the same name, was the best-selling country music album of 1994?
31. Which artist’s record was first officially released as ‘Hillbilly Music’ by Okeh Records?
32. Which country star was known as “The Singing Brakeman”?
33. “There’s Your Trouble”, “Cowboy Take Me Away” and “Landslide” were hit records for which country music group?
34. Which artist had their country music record released by Columbia Records?
35. Tommy beats up the Gatlin brothers after they assault his woman Becky, in which Kenny Rogers hit song?
36. When was the genre of ‘neo country disco music’ popularized?
37. Which country legend died in a plane crash at the age of 30, on March 5, 1963?
38. What genre did The Long Ryders and Mojo Nixon belong to?
39. Which singer, known as the “First Lady of Country Music”, is best known for the song “Stand by Your Man”?
40. In which decade did country music truly attain worldwide fame and popularity?
41. Which influential star had several stints in juvenile detention centers when growing up, as well as spending time in San Quentin Prison from 1958-60 before turning his life around and finding success in country music?
42. Which are the dominant instruments in honky-tonk country music?
43. Who released the country song “One Number Away”?
44. Who was the first artist to play the electric guitar at the ‘Grand Ole Opry’?
45. Which two country stars had a massive world-wide hit in 1983 with the Bee Gees-penned song “Islands in the Stream”?
46. Who released the country song “You Make It Easy”?
47. Who is known as the King of the so-called ‘Singing Cowboys’?
48. On the “Johnny Cash: Forever Words” tribute album, who did “Body on Body”?
49. When was ‘Grand Ole Opry‘ founded?
50. Who released the country song “Broken Halos”?
51. When did country musicians begin playing boogie woogie?
52. When did the term country music gain popularity?
53. Who released the 2018 country song “Singles You Up”?
54. Which is the only TV channel that is dedicated to country music in Canada?
55. What were the two prominent components of country music fashion?
56. Who released the country song “Most People Are Good”?
57. In which country music festival held in Chennai will you find Anglo Indian musicians?
58. Who was the first black star performer in the Grand Ole Opry in 1927?
59. What music label is Morgan Wallen on?
60. Which Taylor Swift album spent 275 weeks on the Billboard 200?
61. Which song of Darius Rucker is one of the most-played country songs ever?
62. Who released the country song “Up Down”?
63. Which band popularized an electro-pop version of the classic southern song ‘Cotton Eyed Joe’?
64. How many country radio stations are there in the United States?
65. Who released the country song The Long Way”?
66. Whose version of ‘Cotton Eyed Joe’ won a Grammy Award in 1985?
67. Where was the alt-country band of Horses (Horses) formed?
68. Which Blues musician gave Hank Williams guitar lessons in exchange for meals?
69. Which country song of 2016 released by Kane Brown?
70. On the “Johnny Cash: Forever Words” tribute album, who did “Spirit Rider”?
71. Who is the female country artist with the most number-one hits on the Billboard Hot Country Songs list?
72. David Lee Murphy & Kenny Chesney hit No. 1 with what song?
73. Which country-influenced album by Kylie Minogue reached number one in Scotland?
74. Where did Country Jam 2018 take place?
75. Who released the country song “Five More Minutes?
76. Which country duo won the Country Music Association Award for top vocal duo every single year from 1972 to 1975?
77. Dierks Bentley is famous for which country song?
78. Who released the country song “Marry Me”“?
79. Which Australian country song artist uses music to communicate about Aboriginal rights issues?
80. Who has got the Female Vocalist of the Year in 2017?
81. What Dixie Chicks album was nominated for “Album of the Year” in the 2007 Grammys?
82. Which track took the Scrumpy and Western music genre to number one in both the UK and Ireland?
83. Which female singer of the 90s released her first hit song I Don’t Want To Be A One Night Stand in 1976?
84. Who was the first member of the original Dixie Chicks band to leave the group?
85. Which country-inspired song by Miley Cyrus was featured in the ‘Hannah Montana’ movie?
86. In which year Reba recapped about 21 songs which 11 of them reached #1 on Billboard and other publications?
87. Which song by Billy Ray Cyrus helped to popularize line dance again?
88. Who won the five Grammy Awards; four for Best Female Country Vocal Performance and the fifth for Best Country Album?
89. Who released the single “Space Cowboy” in 2018?
90. What was Billy Ray Cyrus’ first studio album called?
91. When did Lee Ann Womack release her first album which signaled the neotraditional country music sound?
92. Which singer/songwriter reportedly landed a helicopter on the lawn of Johnny Cash to hand-deliver a music demo?
93. Which song of Mary Chapin Carpenter is about fulfilling the societal mold of what it means to be a wife and a mother?
94. Who released the country song “Female”?
95. At what age did Taylor Swift win an Album of the Year award for the first time?
96. Whose, “Letter to Mom” sings a powerfully perceptive message of encouragement to victims of sexual abuse in this song from 1996?
97. Which country superstar had her award speech interrupted by Kanye West?
98. “Crazy” got the vocals of which singer?
99. Which male country singer co-hosts the TV show The Voice?
100. Who sang “Walking the Floor Over You”?
101. Which artist reached the top of the charts with Ain’t Nothing ‘Bout You?
102. The song”Foggy Mountain Breakdown” was sung by whom?
103. In which movie, starring Sandra Bullock, did Tim McGraw appear as an owner of Taco Bell franchises?
104. In which musical form was Country music originated?
105. Country music is associated with the western cowboy lifestyle and there is a sub-genre called what?
106. What was the name of Garth Brooks’ rock and roll alter ego in the late ’90s?
107. When did country music have a bawdy, rowdy aspect, unlike the later more mellow sound?
108. Which artist has an album title that refers to the “same trailer, different park?”
109. Which 1980 movie transformed Dolly Parton into a household name?
110. What was Shania Twain’s best-selling single?
111. When did a patent medicine called Crazy Water Crystals become big country music and artist sponsor?
112. Which famous Central California city is home to Merle Haggard and Buck Owens?
113. What was the name of the first American country music video cable channel?
114. In the 1990s, which country artist became the first to have five singles from one album reach the top of the charts?
115. ‘Austin’ was the first single of which famous singer?
116. Which tireless singer played the most live shows in the 2000s?
117. How many times has Loretta Lynn been nominated for the Grammy Awards?
118. What was the name of the band that backed Bill Monroe?
119. Who was the first woman to win Country Music Entertainer of Year at the Country Music Awards (CMAs)?
120. June Carter Cash had a role in which Robert Duvall film?
121. Which country music legend wrote Patsy Cline’s hit song Crazy?
122. What was the name of the style of country music that Johnny Cash helped make famous?
123. Which outspoken female country group became publicly critical of George W. Bush during his presidency?
124. About whom did Taylor Swift write the song I Knew You Were Trouble?
125. At the 1975 CMAs, what did Charlie Rich do with the card that announced John Denver as the Entertainer of the Year?
126. Who won the first country Grammy?
127. What is the name of the city that built the Shania Twain Centre in her honor?
128. Who was Johnny Cash’s first wife?
129. In what kind of structure was Merle Haggard born?
130. Which major record label signed Randy Travis in 1985 after many others turned him down?
131. Who coined the term “country music?”
132. From what kind of wood did they make the famous circle that is at the center of the Grand Ole Opry stage?
133. Sara Carter of the Carter Family used a special kind of instrument in her performances. To what family of musical instruments does that instrument belong?