The Lord of The Rings is a highly successful fantasy book and among the best movie series of our time. This masterpiece has been listed as a high-grossing movie breaking numerous records at the box office. LOTR’s popularity has amassed fans all over the globe.
Talking of die-hard fanatics, Christopher Lee (who played Saruman) was a huge fan of the source material that he wanted a role in the film so badly that he campaigned for it. In the 90s, he purposely auditioned for wizard-adjacent roles, which land him the role of Olwyn in The New Adventures of Robin Hood. He became the only cast member to have met the author J. R. R. Tolkien.
Lord of The Rings Facts Trivia Questions and Answers
Did you know that Andy Serkis auditioned in person for a voice-over, only for Peter to be blown away that he decided to use performance-capture technology so that Andy could play the character on set?
This series had a great influence on pop culture that the Beatles band wanted to make an adaptation of it. Unfortunately, author J. R. R. Tolkien rejected the idea.
The following Lord of the Rings trivia will test your knowledge of the finer details of the series. Also, check out a similar fantasy series; Game of Thrones Trivia to jog your mind.
1. During Bilbo’s birthday party, who was tasked to wash the dishes for stealing some fireworks from the back of Gandalf’s wagon?
2. He is Frodo’s loyal friend who journeyed with him from Middle Earth to Mount Doom.
3. Who was the director of ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’?
4. What is the name of the Ent who carries Pippin and Merry through Fangorn Forest?
5. What is the name of the Elven character with the blonde hair and blue eyes who was lethal with a bow and charming with his looks?
6. How much did ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ earn worldwide?
7. While traveling through the mines of Moria, which member of the Fellowship of the Ring is killed by the Balrog?
8. Which actor played Samwise Gamgee?
9. In ‘The Hobbit,’ what was the name of Thorin’s Elven sword that originally came from Gondolin?
10. How many rings of power were made for the Elves, Dwarves, and Men?
11. Who created the background score in the movie?
12. What do Merry and Pippin steal from Gandalf?
13. How many Academy Award nominations did the movie receive?
14. In The Return of the King, who kills the Witch King?
15. Which are referred to as the Two Watchers that form an invisible barrier that couldn’t be passed through?
16. How many Academy Awards did the movie receive?
17. Who does Sam marry at the end of The Return of the King?
18. In The Two Towers, who is Saruman’s spy in Rohan?
19. The Lord of the Rings films are based on a novel written by which author?
20. Which categories did ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ receive Academy Awards in?
21. How did Farmer Maggot protect the Bamfurlong farm from people?
22. Which country was ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ movie shot in?
23. Which hero tries to steal the Ring from Frodo?
24. How many rings of power were made for the Elves, Dwarves, and Men?
25. What is Bilbo’s relation to Frodo?
26. Which famous composer turned down the offer to compose the music for the film?
27. What happened to Lobelia Sackville-Baggins after the War of the Rings?
28. In the ‘Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring,’ who said, “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone”?
29. How many Academy Awards did The Lord of the Rings trilogy win?
30. What marks the end of the Third Age?
31. What happened to Lobelia Sackville-Baggins after the War of the Rings?
32. Name the last war against the armies of Mordor.
33. Who was the cinematographer of the movie ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’?
34. Who are the two War of the Ring heroes?
35. In ‘Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring,’ Bilbo gives Frodo a powerful sword named “Sting.” Does this weapon have the magical ability to glow blue when which specific race is nearby?
36. How did Farmer Maggot protect the Bamfurlong farm from people?
37. Which ancient sword is known to be made by Telchar of Nogrod?
38. When was the ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ movie released?
39. In Mordor, what kind of food does Frodo say he can’t remember the taste of?
40. Which woman was Sam talking about in The Green Dragon?
41. In what place was the set of Hobbiton village taken?
42. What are the objects that Pippin drops into the well from the mines of Moria?
43. In ‘The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King,’ which army does Aragorn summon using the Sword of Elendil?
44. Who gave Frodo Baggins the Phial of Galadriel?
45. What was the color of Legolas’s horse when he rode to Rivendell?
46. How many rings were given to the Elves at the very beginning during the forging of the Great Rings?
47. How many hobbits INITIALLY set out from the Shire?
48. Which armies participated in the Battle of Isengard, also known as the Destruction of Isengard?
49. What was the mountain in Middle Earth called where Gollum took the Ring?
50. How many wizards are there in Middle Earth?
51. What is the name of the bridge that Gandalf destroys in the battle with Balrog?
52. How many Nazgul are there?
53. In the War of the Ring, which forest does Saruman order the Orcs to cut down?
54. What comparison does Bilbo draw of himself when he reasons why he wants to leave the Shire?
55. Where does the Fellowship of the Ring break up?
56. Who used to own the Ring of Power until Bilbo Baggins picked it up in the cave?
57. What does the Elvish word ‘mellon’ mean?
58. What was the riddle that Gandalf could not figure out to open the door?
59. On which finger is Sauron seen wearing the Ring?
60. What is the name of the remade version of “the sword that was broken”?
61. Who was the only elf in the Fellowship?
62. What is the name of the fictional metal which the armored chain shirt of Frodo is made from?
63. What activity is Frodo engaged in when we see him for the first time?
64. What was Frodo stabbed with at the Skirmish at Weathertop?
65. How is Arwen related to Galadriel?
66. What was the name of Boromir’s brother who died en route to Mordor When the Fellowship was torn?
67. How are Pippin and Merry punished by Gandalf for stealing his fireworks?
68. Name Gollum’s friend who he choked to get the Ring of Power?
69. The Fellowship consists of how many members?
70. What is the fake name that Frodo Baggins used after departing from the Shire?
71. How many BAFTA awards did the movie win?
72. Who were the acclaimed VFX creators for ‘The Two Towers’?
73. Name the spider, a fictional demon that Frodo fought bravely to recover the One Ring.
74. Who are the screenplay writers of the movie?
75. What box office record did the movie set?
76. Where did the movie premiere?
77. Name the Lord and Lady of Caras Galadhon.
78. What injury did Orlando Bloom sustain while making the film?
79. Who gives Aragorn the remade sword and asks him to take the Dimholt road to summon the Army of the Dead to fight for him?
80. Who is Eomer banished from the Kingdom of Rohan in Middle Earth by?
81. Name Sam’s favorite pony.
82. What do Merry and Pippin find in Isengard in Middle Earth?
83. What is Theodon’s nephew’s name?
84. Na meSauron’s second-in-command.
85. What is Legolas’s horse’s name?
86. What is the pool in which Gollum is fishing?
87. In ‘The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King,’ which army does Aragorn summon using the Sword of Elendil?
88. What is the relation between Eowyn and Eomer?
89. What is the total strength of Eomer’s Cavalry, which is pivotal in winning the Battle of Helm’s Deep?
90. Whom does Arwen pledge her heart to?
91. What is one of the properties of Elven rope?
92. How does Boromir meet his end?
93. What is the unusual thing that Frodo feels about the Ring?
94. In which decade of life is Aragorn?
95. What is Uruk-Hai of Isengard’s sign?
96. How does Frodo know Sam?
97. How much money did the movie earn at the box office?
98. Which famous animator created the “Lord of the Rings” animated movie?
99. Where was the movie first premiered?
100. Who played Saruman in the Lord of the Rings?
101. Who was the editor of ‘The Return of the King’?
102. Who does Pippin dance with inside the Golden Hall?
103. Who played Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings?
104. How does Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, along with the Army of the Dead, reach the Battle of Pelennor Fields?
105. Who produced the Lord of the Rings trilogy?
106. What is the object on Denethor’s lap when Gandalf and Pippin visit Denethor?
107. What is the name of the first movie in the trilogy?
108. What is the name of King Elendil’s sword in Middle Earth?
109. What does Aragorn say when he releases the Army of the Dead in Middle Earth?
110. Aragorn first met Frodo where?
111. Who stabs Frodo in Weathertop?
112. What is the name of the bridge that Gandalf destroys in the battle with Balrog?
113. Who plays the role of Arwen?
114. In “The Fellowship of the Ring”, Frodo and Sam run into Merry and Pippin while fleeing farmer Maggot’s place. What do they find shortly after that?
115. Who plays the role of Celeborn?
116. What injury did Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) get?
117. Who plays the role of Elrond?
118. Who voices the One Ring?
119. Who plays the role of Eomer?
120. Who plays the role of Gamling?
121. Who plays the role of Theoden?
122. In “The Fellowship of the Ring”, what is the name of the ferry the hobbits use to escape the Black Riders?
123. The documentary shows long excerpts of a live performance of the Symphony in which city?
124. In “The Fellowship of the Ring”, Merry and Pippin are punished for taking some fireworks. What type of punishment do they receive?
125. The composer was obviously interviewed for the “Creating the Lord of the Rings Symphony” DVD. Who else was interviewed?
126. When did the animated version come out?
127. It is Bilbo’s 111th birthday. What is the year according to Shire’s reckoning?
128. What was the animation technique used in the animated version of “LOTR”?
129. A flock of blackbirds, spies of Saruman, fly over the Fellowship. What sort of birds are they?
130. He was 30 years old when “The Lord of the Rings” started shooting and is the oldest of the four actors playing the hobbits in the Fellowship.
131. Who wrote the soundtrack for the animated “LOTR”?
132. What sort of insect does Gandalf send for help when he is being held prisoner by Saruman?
133. What relation is Gimli to Balin?
134. Who provides the voice of Fangorn, a.k.a. TreeBeard?
135. I accidentally knocked a piece of armor down the well in Moria!
136. Where were the Misty Mountains filmed?
137. On what date does Frodo wake up and find he is in Rivendell?
138. What are the enormous animals that Frodo, Sam, and Gollum see in “The Two Towers” called?
139. Do not let our height fool you, For we are bold, brave and strong. Yet we do admit, that at one time, We thought mingling with Elves was wrong. Who are we?
140. What are the wolf-like animals that attack Theoden and his people called?
141. Which place in Middle Earth is famous for its horses?
142. Which music theme is punctuated by the use of metal plates and chain links inside a piano?
143. What sort of animals sometimes tickle Treebeard?
144. According to Andy Serkis, what was the most challenging thing he had to do as Gollum?
145. The rendition of “The Breaking of the Fellowship” theme in the documentary might be somewhat disappointing to those who are accustomed to the original version in “The Fellowship of the Ring” movie and soundtrack CD. What is different with the rendition in the documentary?
146. After spending many hours composing the music in solitude, or in a studio, Howard Shore was quite enthusiastic about conducting the live Symphony. How many performers were involved in the performance, on the “Creating the Lord of the Rings Symphony” DVD?