Famous for its historic boardwalk, Virginia beach is ranked top by the Guinness World Records as the World’s longest stretch of pleasure beach. The three beaches, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake Bay Beach, and the globally known Sandbridge Beach, all together form 56 kilometers of scenic coastline.
Virginia boasts as the motherland of 8 American Presidents. The state is nicknamed ‘Mother of Presidents’- the following US Presidents; George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor, and Woodrow Wilson call it home.
It is also ‘The birthplace of Nations’ given that Jameston, Virginia was the first English settlement in the United States.
Virginia Facts Trivia Questions and Answers
Virginia State has a rich history, and as of April 2014, the state was recognized for its unmatched seafood. On Chincoteague Island, we find the World’s only oyster museum. While considered a delicacy today, earlier in America’s history, oysters were cheaper than beef and a staple menu at homes and restaurants. Pubs and taverns frequently offered oysters to be enjoyed with beer and ales.
Read on to explore Virginia state in-depth.
1. What is the capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia?
2. How many tornadoes hit Virginia on average each year?
3. What police organization is the oldest police department in the U. S.?
4. According to the American Lung Association, 11 counties in Virginia received failing grades for air quality, with what is county being the worst in the state due to car exhaust?
5. What city in the Commonwealth has the most residents?
6. Haze in the mountains is caused in part by what kind of power plants?
7. What is the Virginia State Slogan?
8. What percentage of Virginia is covered by Forests?
9. Who established the Colony of Virginia as the first permanent New World English colony in the year 1607?
10. What is the Virginia State Fish?
11. How big is Virginia in square miles?
12. Williamsburg was Virginia’s capital from when to when?
13. Where does Virginia rank in size when compared with the rest of the US States?
14. Colony life was hard, and many settlers died during the Starving Time in 1609 and in the Indian Wars, and by 1624 how many of the 6,000 early settlers had survived?
15. What is the Virginia State Shell?
16. What is the Virginia State Nickname?
17. Virginia is bordered by what two states to the north?
18. On May 15, 1776, Virginia declared its independence from the British and then adopted the Virginia Declaration of Rights, which was then included in a new what?
19. What is the tallest spot in Virginia?
20. What is the Virginia State Insect?
21. How many of Virginia’s thousands of caves are open to tourists?
22. At the start of the Revolutionary War, who was selected to head the colonial army?
23. The largest earthquake experienced by the state of Virginia was an estimated 5.9 magnitude in 1897 near what city?
24. During the war, Governor Thomas Jefferson had to move to Richmond?
25. On average, how many days of thunderstorm activity does Virginia experience per year?
26. In 1781, Continental and French forces trapped the British army on the Virginia Peninsula, where troops under George Washington and Comte de Rochambeau defeated British General Cornwallis in what famous event?
27. What is Virginia’s average yearly precipitation?
28. What is the Virginia State Fossil?
29. The United States Supreme Court, in 1967, struck down Virginia’s ban on interracial what?
30. The surrender of General Cornwallis on October 19, 1781 led to peace negotiations in Paris and secured what?
31. In 1989, Douglas Wilder became the first “what” elected as governor in the United States?
32. What is the Virginia State Boat?
33. How many counties does the state of Virginia have?
34. What document were the Virginians instrumental in writing?
35. Which city has the most population of any city in Virginia?
36. What is the Virginia State Mammal?
37. Norfolk is the site of the world’s largest what?
38. By 1860, what percentage of the population were slaves in Virginia?
39. Suffolk is the largest city by area how many square miles?
40. What is the Virginia State Motto?
41. According to the Census Bureau the state population of Virginia on Jul 1, 2013, how many people?
42. After the Civil War, Virginia adopted a constitution which provided for free public schools, and guaranteed what?
43. Christ Church in Alexandria was frequented by what two famous military men?
44. What is the Virginia State Flower/Tree?
45. According to a study by Phoenix Marketing International, where did Virginia rank among the states in the number of millionaires per capita?
46. What did Virginian James Albert Bonsack invent in 1880 that led to industrial scale production centered around Richmond?
47. Arlington Virginia is the home of the world’s largest what?
48. What is the Virginia State Bird?
49. What percentage of the land in Virginia is used for Agriculture?
50. In 1886, who founded Newport News Shipbuilding, which was responsible for building six major World War I-era battleships for the U.S. Navy?
51. As of 2012, how many farms were located in the state of Virginia?
52. Protests started by Barbara Rose Johns, in 1951, against segregated schools led to the lawsuit Brown v. Board of Education, which rejected the segregationist doctrine of what?
53. What police organization is the oldest police department in the U. S.?
54. What is the Virginia State Dance?
55. Smithfield ham, sometimes called “Virginia ham”, is a type of ham protected by law, and can only be made in what Virginia town?
56. In 1958, led by the influential segregationist Senator Harry F. Byrd and his Byrd Organization, the Commonwealth prohibited desegregated local schools from what?
57. What is the Virginia State Dog?
58. Where does Virginia rank in terms of public spending on the arts?
59. Which of the following titles did English King Charles II give to Virginia? Your options: [ Fighting Hokies ] [ Tell Me ] [ Old Dominion ] [ Show Me ]
60. Where is the headquarters of the newspaper USA Today located?
61. Which of the following cities does Portsmouth, Virginia, not share a border with? Your options: [ Norfolk ] [ Virginia Beach ] [ Chesapeake ] [ Suffolk ]
62. What is the Virginia State Beverage?
63. This 17.6-mile-long road over water links the eastern shore (Delmarva peninsula) to the cities of Norfolk and Virginia Beach.
64. How many television stations are located in the state of Virginia?
65. Virginia (VA) Rt. 7 is known by several names, except:
66. As of 2011, were there many colleges and universities located in the Virginia Commonwealth?
67. Who or what was Newport News named after?
68. How many major airports does Virginia have and what are their names?
69. Jamestown, the first of the original 13 Colonies was founded for the purpose of what?
70. What organization is the largest law enforcement agency in Virginia?
71. Virginia is also called the ‘Mother of ___’. Complete the nickname.
72. In 1982 Virginia resumed using the death penalty, and since then how many people has Virginia put to death?
73. There are three and a half military bases located in Virginia Beach. These include NAS Oceana, NAB Little Creek, US Army’s Fort Story, and what other bases?
74. Portsmouth, Virginia, was founded in what year?
75. This project, completed in 2001, was Portsmouth, Virginia’s biggest investment in years, costing a total of $46 million.
76. The city of Virginia Beach merged with what county in 1963 to avoid being annexed by Norfolk?
77. The George Washington Parkway is called this as it runs through Alexandria.
78. US 50 is known by several names, except:
79. Newport News is the home of the world’s largest(________________)?
80. What bridge created on Lake Maury in 1931 still stands today?
81. How many Presidents of the United States were born in Virginia?
82. How many Presidents are buried in Virginia?
83. Name the mountain range running through the complete western section of the state of Virginia.
84. Western-central Virginia has a beautiful valley area. What is the valley’s name?
85. Located in Virginia Beach is a very large landfill. Many events take place on and around this landfill, including Independence Day fireworks, carnivals, and much more. What is the name of this landfill, and the lake next to it?
86. What picture is on both the Virginia Beach flag and seal?
87. Which of these areas of Portsmouth, Virginia, is not a historic district? Your options: [ Downtown ] [ Brighton ] [ Olde Towne ] [ Park View ]
88. Who was the founder of Portsmouth, Virginia?
89. How many independent cities lie within the Hampton Roads region?
90. VA 123 is known by how many names?
91. There is a variety of ‘Glebe Road in Alexandria and Arlington. Which of these is not one of them? Your options: [ Old Glebe Rd. ] [ North Glebe Rd. ] [ New Glebe Rd. ] [ West Glebe Rd. ]
92. The PFAC or Peninsula Fine Arts Center in Newport News has housed works by all of the following artists EXCEPT: Your options: [ Norman Rockwell ] [ Andy Warhol ] [ Elizabeth Catlett ] [ Keith Herring ]
93. What famous artist was from Newport News?
94. The first ________ grown in the United States were grown in Virginia.
95. How many Presidents’ wives were born in Virginia?
96. What state is Virginia Beach closest to?
97. Virginia enjoys Atlantic Ocean beaches. Name the largest (and most popular) beach.
98. What famous warship was sunk, and later raised and repurposed, at Gosport (now Norfolk Naval Shipyard) in Portsmouth?
99. Virginia Beach contains one water park. What is this water park’s name?
100. Virginia has three capital cities. One is Richmond, another is Jamestown. Name the capital Virginia had from 1699 to 1779?
101. What’s the name of the mall that the Victory Crossing Shopping Center replaced?
102. What region of the United States is Virginia Beach located in as per the US Census Bureau?
103. What were the two ironclad battleships which fought on Hampton Roads during the Civil War. Your options: [ CSS Virginia and USS Constitution ] [ Monitor and CSS Virginia ] [ USS Clinton and CSS Bush ] [ Mayflower and Susan Constant ]
104. Which star is not from Portsmouth, Virginia? Your options: [ Wanda Sykes ] [ Dre’ Bly ] [ Missy Elliot ] [ Latasha Colander ]
105. Where is the state fair held?
106. What is the main waterway that splits the region into two main sections and empties into Hampton Roads?
107. Van Dorn St. starts in the city of Alexandria, and continues into Fairfax Co. as this:
108. Fairfax County has several versions of Ox Rd., except:
109. Newport News is also home of what famous collection of nautical models?
110. What housing community in Newport News boasts of houses from the 1600’s and was once known as ‘The Gold Coast’?
111. This is the only city that is a city in Tennessee and a city in Virginia.
112. Patrick Henry made his ‘Give me Liberty or Give me Death’ speech in what Virginia city?
113. How many sister cities does Virginia Beach have?
114. Which four cities make up the port of Hampton Roads?
115. Newport News is home of one of the first African Americans to try a case before the Virginia Supreme Court. What is his name?
116. Which of these towns is closest to Virginia’s geographic center? Your options: [ Roanoke ] [ Buckingham ] [ Arlington ] [ Yorktown ]
117. What are the names of US 1?
118. At the beginning of the 21st century, Chincoteague Island contains the world’s only what?
119. What is the chief export of the port of Newport News?
120. Where was colonial Virginia’s capital city moved to in 1698, after the third burning of the Capitol building in the Jamestown Settlement?
121. On which highway system is the Downtown Tunnel located? Your options: [ Interstate 464 ] [ Interstate 264 ] [ US Highway 58 ] [ US Highway 17 ]
122. Virginia Beach is home to many events and festivals. Name one of the festivals taking place in Virginia.
123. This amusement park is the busiest in Virginia with a motto of “All the fun of Europe, but only closer.”
124. Portsmouth is being studied for a merger between it and what other city?
125. In Virginia, more people work for __________________ more than any other industry.
126. Portsmouth’s Olde Towne district ranks as the largest collection of antique houses in the state of Virginia. True or False?
127. Before Portsmouth became an independent city, what county did Portsmouth belong to?
128. Which of these US Highway pairs runs contiguous in the northern Virginia area? Your options: [ US 17 and 1 ] [ US 1 and 29 ] [ US 29 and 50 ] [ US 1 and 50 ]
129. Portsmouth plays host to what annual festival activity?
130. Which of the following higher learning centers are not located in the Hampton Roads region? Your options: [ College of William & Mary ] [ Virginia Union University ] [ Old Dominion University ] [ Virginia Wesleyan College ]
131. Virginia was named for which of England’s queens? Your options: [ Elizabeth I ] [ Victoria I ] [ Elizabeth II ] [ Anne ]
132. Which of the following people has a museum dedicated to them in Richmond? Your options: [ Nathaniel Hawthorne ] [ Edgar Allan Poe ] [ Robert Frost ] [ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow ]
133. Virginia is the ___th most populous state in the USA.
134. The American Revolution ended with the surrender of Cornwallis at what place?
135. Virginia became a state on which date? Your options: [ June 25, 1788 ] [ June 25, 1790 ] [ June 25, 1789 ] [ June 25, 1787 ]
136. The city of Suffolk has a larger size in total area than all of these cities EXCEPT: Your options: [ New York, NY ] [ Jacksonville, FL ] [ Virginia Beach, VA ] [ Dallas, TX ]
137. Which of these is not a county in Virginia? Your options: [ Monroe County ] [ Pittsylvania County ] [ Tazewell County ] [ Augusta County ]
138. What is the highest point in Virginia?
139. Which of these is believed to be the oldest plantation in the United States? Your options: [ Monticello ] [ Shirley ] [ Carter’s Grove ] [ Bremo ]
140. What is Virginia’s rank in the area compared to the other states?
141. Who wrote ‘Carry me back to old Virginia’?
142. Virginia Tech’s team mascot is a what?
143. True or False? Virginia has been dubbed the ‘Internet Capital of the world’.
144. True or False? Ella Fitzgerald was a Virginian from Newport News.
145. True or False? The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg is the third oldest in the United States, it was founded in 1693.
146. What is the height of the highest point- Mt Rogers?
147. Portsmouth, Virginia, was founded in what year?
148. What is the official language of Virginia?
149. What percent of the world’s internet traffic does Virginia handle?
150. Which world’s largest office building is situated in Virginia?
151. What other languages are spoken in the state?
152. Which airline crashed into the building?
153. How many major Civil War battles were fought in Virginia?
154. Which is America’s most popular horse breed in Virginia?
155. When did the construction of the Pentagon start?
156. When the plane crashed?
157. What is the rank of Virginia among the wine producers?
158. When did Virginia have its first Thanksgiving?
159. What does Virginia also known as?
160. How many wineries does Virginia have?
161. Which is the world’s longest stretch of pleasure beach?
162. What is the major cash crop of Virginia?
163. Which is the first successful electric street railway transit agency?
164. When was the Union Passenger Railway formed?
165. Where did the Union Passenger Railway form?
166. Who designed the Monticello?
167. What is President George Washington’s home called?
168. What does President Thomas Jefferson call his own home?
169. Where is Mount Vernon located?
170. Where did the first women-run bank start in the U.S?
171. What are the major industries in Virginia?
172. Which famous basketball player belonged to Virginia?
173. What is the postal abbreviation of the state?
174. What is the state’s lowest point?