Winter is known to be the coldest time of the year. For some, especially kids, enjoy making a snowman and playing in the snow. Others prefer to go ice skating and skiing. What a beautiful way to relive our outdoor activities!
A time when trees lose their leaves and animals enter into a deep sleep. We get to experience longer nights and shorter days. Did you know that the term Winter comes from a German word that means “Times of Water”? Well, I bet you didn’t!
Winter Trivia Questions and Answers
How about you learn of the winter holidays celebrated around the world?
Below is a list of fascinating winter trivia questions and answers to gauge how much you know about the season. You may also consider learning about other seasons too through summer trivia and spring trivia respectively.
Give this a shot!
1. What do we call the state when animals sleep during the winter?
2. The word ‘winter’ comes from an old germanic word ‘wintar’. What does it mean?
3. Which ancient stone monument is aligned with the winter solstice sunset?
4. What is the recorded coldest temperature in the United Kingdom?
5. Which hemisphere experiences a colder winter season than the other?
6. Snowflakes are actually of what color?
7. How long does winter last in the northern hemisphere?
8. What is the shortest day of the year called?
9. The word “solstice” means what?
10. How long does winter last in the southern hemisphere?
11. What is the name of the medical emergency that occurs when your body loses heat faster than it can produce it and the body’s temperature gets dangerously low?
12. The Winter Derby is a Group 3 flat horse race in Great Britain held at Lingfield Park during which months?
13. How much money can a policeman fine a driver for driving a car with snow on the roof in the United Kingdom?
14. Which months mark the beginning and end of winter respectively?
15. The lowest temperature ever recorded occurred at what place?
16. Which kind of snow is suitable for making a snowman?
17. During which season in the Northern hemisphere does the earth reach the point in its orbit where it is closest to the sun?
18. What is Biathlon?
19. What do we call the condition characterized by an extreme fear of snow?
20. What is the lowest temperature ever recorded in the United States of America?
21. From November 22 to December 21, what zodiac sign is it?
22. In the winter of 1620 when the River Thames in London became frozen, a fair was held on the water. What was its name?
23. What is the coldest state in the United States of America?
24. Winter Festival of Lights takes place in which country during winter?
25. Where do slugs go during the winter when the temperature goes below the freezing level?
26. The Arctic Fox turns white during winter and then changes back to its grey color when it is over. True or False?
27. “People do not notice whether it is winter or summer when they are happy.” Which famous writer said that?
28. When animals hideaway during winter and emerge when it is over it’s called migration and when birds and animals travel to warmer places when it is cold in their natural habitat, it’s called hibernation. True or False?
29. Fat biking is a winter sport — true or false?
30. What is the main cause of winter?
31. Where is the snowiest place in the United States?
32. Which major sports events have never been held in the Southern Hemisphere, and no country has ever applied to host them?
33. Which term is used to refer to a car that loses traction on the rear wheels?
34. What are heavy snowfalls with winds over 35 miles per hour with limited visibility called?
35. What is the name of House Stark’s ancestral house in the HBO series Game of Thrones?
36. What is the name of the winter play by William Shakespeare?
37. How much of the world’s fresh water supply comes from snow and ice?
38. February is named after the ancient Roman purification festival “Februa,” which took place every year on what date?
39. Which type of bird turns its brown features into white in the winter?
40. Is it possible for snow to fall over a desert?
41. A black bear’s pulse can drop to how many beats during winter?
43. How many sides do snowflakes have?
44. What is the name of a famous winter festival that takes place in Miami Beach?
45. The first Olympic Winter Games were held in which country?
46. What is the average speed at which snowflakes fall from the sky?
47. Which basic sled, unlike other sleds or sleighs, has no runners or skis on the underside (or only low ones)?
48. What does snow blindness mean?
49. What is the largest width ever recorded of a snowflake?
50. Reykjavik Winter Lights Festival takes place in which country during winter?
51. Which condition refers to the damage to body tissue caused by freezing?
52. What causes the red color of watermelon snow, which is most commonly found in the Canadian Rockies?
53. During the winter, which New Zealand bug freezes solid?
54. What is the necessary weather condition for a blizzard to happen?
55. The most snow to fall within 24 hours ever recorded was 76 inches. Where was this?
56. What is a pretty strange winter Olympic sport that involves sliding large stones towards a target?
57. Why do people place salt on icy roads in the winter?
58. Which city in the United States became the first US city to host the Winter Olympics twice?
59. Where did the public festivities conducted on the frozen Thames during the 17th and 18th centuries get their name?
60. The first snowmobile in the world was patented in which country?
61. Which sport involves acro, aerials and moguls?
62. Shovel racing, a dangerous winter sport was invented in which city in the 1970s?
63. Which country made use of extreme winter conditions to fight against Germany during World War II?
64. Which winter sport evolved from skateboarding and surfing?
65. What is the name of a famous winter festival that takes place in New Orleans?
66. “Winter Is Coming” is the motto of which family in “Game of Thrones”?
67. In which country did speed skating originate?
68. Where in fiction is the kingdom of talking animals and mythological creatures that has been governed by a White Witch for 100 years of severe winter?
69. In which European city can we visit The Winter Palace?
70. What was the first international winter sports competition to be organized?
71. “Winter banana” is a variety of which fruit?
72. Which alpine skier won the men’s Giant Slalom in the Winter Olympics in the years 1988 and 1992 ?
73. Skijoring is a winter sport and a part of the Olympics — true or false?
74. The “Burning the Clocks” is an annual winter solstice festival taking place in which British city?
75. Who was the first player to compete in the Winter Olympics after having played in the National Hockey League?
76. “Febris” is a Latin term that means what?
77. Which Christmas carol is written based on a poem by Christina Rossetti?
78. Who became the first woman to win four Olympic gold medals in alpine skiing?
79. The inaugural Winter Olympics, which took place in 1924, were held at the foot of which mountain?
80. The Winter War took place between 1939 and 1940 between Russia and which country?
81. Which is the snowiest city in the world?
82. In which city in February 1999, the biggest documented snowman was created?
83. What does a chinook mean?
84. What is the Ukrainian New Year, which is celebrated in mid-January and is famous for its rowdy and masquerade-like traditions, called?
85. How long was the ice age?
86. Which kind of snow turns into a glacier?
87. What is the name of Winter Solstice celebrations in Iran?
88. Even today, at the start of winter, which Indians of British Columbia change their names and take on the names of their ancestors?
89. Austria has its own version of Santa Claus, but he is a little more strict. He not only comes to reward nice children but also to punish naughty ones. What is he called?
90. What is the biggest shopping day during the winter?
91. Where is the event called Night of the Radishes, which is a three-day festival starting on 23 December, celebrated?
92. In April 1815, the Mount Tambora volcano in which nation erupted, causing a ‘Year without Summer’ in the Northern Hemisphere?
93. In the winter of 2015, what could you rent from a Massachusetts resident on AirB&B for $10 per night?
94. In which country is Saint Lucia Day celebrated, where on 13 December the youngest girl from each family dresses up as the martyr Saint Lucy of Syracuse?
95. An hour was 45 minutes in the winter and 75 minutes in the summer because which civilization utilized sun and darkness to calculate the time?
96. As well as during winter, what other season sees the most frequent avalanches globally?
97. Which Chinese Festival is celebrated in January or February, depending on the lunar calendar?
98. Hwacheaon Sancheoneo Ice Festival takes place in which country during winter?
99. What 3-star signs could you have if you were born in winter?
100. What is the ancient African harvest festival, celebrated between 26 December and 1 January, whose name literally means “first fruits” called?
101. How many snow particles fall from the sky every winter?
102. How much daylight is there at the North and South pole during winter?
103. The Kureri tradition is thousands of years old, men and women put on masks that appear like monsters and costumes and dance around to scare evil spirits away. To which country does this Kukeri tradition belong?
104. Name the ‘ice sport’ that involves participants riding a small sled down a frozen track while lying forward-facing and face down?
105. Which dangerous gas can be released if you don’t get your furnace serviced regularly?
106. Some of the best snow for snowmobiling can be found in where?
107. How thick is ice that can be skated on safely?
108. The Winter of Discontent was a period in the United Kingdom during which public sector trade unions went on strike, seeking higher pay; who was Prime Minister at the time?
110. A person is showing symptoms of frostbite on their finger after being subjected to severe cold exposure. What would your first step towards helping them be?
111. Which William Shakespeare’s play opens with the line “Now is the winter of our discontent”?
112. What is the sport of English athletes Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean?
113. “Nothing burns like the cold.” Who said these words?
114. Harbin Ice & Snow Sculpture Festival takes place in which country during winter?
115. How many Winter Olympic Games Sports are held indoors?
116. “In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” Who said these words?
117. During the Winter Solstice, on what date, the Pilgrims arrived in Plymouth?
118. How many ski resorts are there in the US?
119. “It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.” Who said these words?
120. Dragon Carnival takes place in which country during winter?
121. What do people in Lithuania do to forest animals during the winter?
122. What does George promise Mary in ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’?
123. Snowstorms may dump what volume of snow in a single day?
124. In some Nordic countries, what is it acceptable to have babies doing in temperatures of -16 and 41 degrees Fahrenheit?
125. Name the Disney movie in which a princess, the elder of two sisters, has the power to create and manipulate snow?
126. The world record for snowfall is held by which location in Washington state, which received 1,140 inches of snow during the 1998–1999 winter season?
127. What do British children leave out for Santa on Christmas Eve?
128. Eggnog was first introduced in which country?
129. Winter Jazz Festival (Vinterjazz) takes place in which country during winter?
130. How long did the ban on snowball fights last in Severance, Colorado, before being overturned thanks to a very determined 9-year old boy?
131. What does the muskox do to prepare itself for the severe cold?
132. Which civilization believed that evil spirits roam the Earth and that on this night, the energies of the destructive spirit Ahriman are the most strong?
133. How many live spectators attend Times Squares New Years’ Eve celebrations?
134. Traditionally, what is hidden inside a Christmas pudding?
135. What is the name of the famous winter festival that takes place in Cologne, Germany?
136. How many US states should expect at least 1-in of snow on Christmas Day based on historical probability?
137. What does Sam bring back from Alaska t0 his friend George in Seattle in ‘North To Alaska'(1960)?
138. In the history of the Winter Olympics, which country has won the most medals?
139. During winter, Alaska is the coldest American state. But, which is the hottest?
140. What is the famous Russian fur hat worn in winter called?
141. What is snow?
142. How fast does snow falls per second on earth?
143. What sets up the possibility of an avalanche?
144. Snowflakes take on a variety of shapes, basic among these are what?
145. How many slots are used in USA roads during each Winter season?
146. What sort of snow turns into a glacier?
147. What is the name of the city on earth having heavy snowfalls?
148. When does snow make a noise?
149. Which kind of snowfalls is capable of making “Snowman-Building?
150. On which other planets in the Solar System have scientists observed snow falling?
151. What is the actual ratio of perfect snow to water?
152. How much snow is equivalent to an inch of rainfall?
153. Winter cold kills more than twice Americans as compared to summer heat, Is it true?
154. What does a snow groomer do?
155. What is the average speed of the snowfalls when it falls from the sky?
156. Where would you find the snow belt?
157. How much water would produce from One inch of snow?
158. In 1999, which mountain took the record for the most snowfall ever measured in the United States in a single season?
159. Which City holds the record for most snow angels building at a time?
160. How long did it take for the second largest snowman in the world, Angus, to melt?
161. What kind of butterflies flies to Mexico in Winter?
162. In the animated film of Raymond Briggs’ book the Snowman, who sang “Walking in the Air”?
163. What percentage of Earth’s land surface is covered with snow and ice?
164. In 1976/77 which American city had the all-time high for snowfall in a single season?
165. Who popularised the word phrase “Snowmageddon”?
166. In “Let It Snow” the 1945 song by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne what were the singers eating?
167. What is the average min temperature of the Polar Plateau?
168. In which year was the Walt Disney film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs released?
169. What percentage of crashes happens in the USA for wet pavement and during rainfall in Winter?
170. In the 2002 movie Ice Age, John Leguizamo was the voice of Sid. What kind of animal is Sid?
171. What is the most common birthday date in the United States?
172. When did Chicago experience its 1st coldest Winter?