When you think of Los Angeles, what first crosses your mind is a smog-filled city full of legendary actors and actresses (you can actually use some tips to help you spot celebrities in L.A.). From Hollywood to Disneyland, West coast hip hop to skateboarding and punk rock, this city of Flowers and Sunshine never ceases to amuse us!
Los Angeles Facts Trivia Quiz Questions and Answers
Did you know Los Angeles has countless hotels with rooftop pools than any other city in the United States? Los Angeles has much more to offer: the long splendid beaches, museums, street art galleries, notable star restaurants, and we just can’t get enough of this iconic city!
By answering these Los Angeles trivia questions, evaluate your knowledge of the city where the Stars live. This collection will even challenge the most knowledgeable Angelenos.
1. How many public parks are there in the Santa Monica Mountains?
2. What are the physical features to the north and east of Los Angeles?
3. How long is LA’s western border?
4. What are the physical features to the south and west of Los Angeles?
5. Which of these beaches is a haven for movie stars? Your options Malibu, Venice Beach, Santa Monica Beach
6. About one-third of the population live in?
7. Which neighborhood is worth visiting to gawk at the mansions?
8. The San Fernando Valley is separated from the rest of L.A. by what?
9. In which neighborhood would you find art galleries?
10. San Fernando Valley, separated by the city’s major outdoor recreational park, which is called ___?
11. How many square miles is LA?
12. In what year was Los Angeles settled?
13. Name exotic flowers native to LA?
14. What was LA called in 1781?
15. Which neighborhoods should you avoid at night?
16. A nearby Native American village,Yang-Na, has been assimilated over the years. Its location is now known as?
17. What is LA’s population?
18. L.A.’s main growth began after 1876 with the arrival of ___what?
19. What is the average summer temperature in LA?
20. What are the residents of L.A. known as colloquially?
21. What is the average winter temperature in LA?
22. What is the main center of performing arts called?
23. Which airport is LA’s primary airport?
24. In which auditorium does the L.A. Philharmonic Orchestra perform during the winter months?
25. If you’re renting a car, which roads should you avoid due to notorious traffic back ups?
26. Plays, musicals and light opera are performed in ___?
27. What is the best way to get around LA?
28. In good weather concerts and plays are performed in a natural amphitheater in Hollywood. Its name is___?
29. What is Hollywood Studios?
30. A unique collection of fossils, formerly housed in the Museum of Natural History has been transferred to the George C. Page Museum of La Brea Discoveries Where?
31. Which hotels are famous for hosting celebrities?
32. If you wanted to see a remarkable collection of Native American Art and Artifacts you would go to the Southwest Museum Where is that?
33. If you want a glimpse of a fossilized dinosaur, where should you head?
34. If you wanted to get a look at L.A. over the years, you would take a walk around ___what?
35. How many locations does the Museum of Contemporary Art have?
36. Which of the 21 California Missions is located within the city limits of present-day Los Angeles?
37. Which are the three locations the Museum of Contemporary Art have?
38. How many countries have ruled over Los Angeles?
39. If you are looking for a reasonably priced spa experience, where should you head?
40. Which are the countries that ruled Los Angeles?
41. Where are the best places to stay in LA?
42. This man oversaw the construction of the California Aqueduct that brought water from the Owens Valley in Central California to the Los Angeles Basin.
43. What was the first major professional sports team in Los Angeles?
44. Who was the first publisher of the “Los Angeles Times” newspaper?
45. Where did the Rams come from?
46. In which U.S. Census did the population of Los Angeles first exceed one million?
47. Which year did the Rams come to LA?
48. In the early 20th century, Los Angeles had one of the most advanced rapid transit systems in the nation, primarily utilizing an extensive system of streetcars of what color?
49. Prior to the Rams’ arrival, the L.A. sports scene centered on UCLA, USC, and two minor league baseball teams?
50. What is a natural calamity common in LA?
51. This man became the first African American mayor of Los Angeles?
52. Name some of the earthquakes that caused damage in LA?
53. Which year was Tom Bradley elected as the mayor of Los Angeles?
54. Which year did the Long Beach earthquake strike LA?
55. Bradley was an L.A. City police officer and City Councilman who served a record of how many years?
56. Which year did the Sylmar earthquake strike LA?
57. Which year did Loma Prieta strike LA?
58. The Sylmar earthquake is also known as?
59. In what U.S. Census did Los Angeles first become the second most populous city in the U.S.?
60. Which year did the Northridge quake strike LA?
61. In 1940, Bing Crosby had a #1 hit song about this geographic area of Los Angeles.
62. Name one famous sign in LA?
63. When Hollywood was originally erected, what did it say?
64. Los Angeles was the only city on the U.S. mainland to be attacked during World War II.
65. When California passed a law that sharply reduced penalties for marijuana possession, pranksters hung sheets that altered the sign to read?
66. Through 2005, Los Angeles has hosted the Summer Olympics twice. Which years?
67. Throughout its history, Los Angeles has annexed many neighboring cities, thereby contributing to its rapid growth. Name a city that was one of those annexed by Los Angeles?
68. Which was the only city by 2005 to have hosted the summer Olympics?
69. Name other cities that were annexed by LA?
70. What does Los Angeles mean?
71. L.A is the biggest city in…?
72. The Hollywood sign originally read “Hollywoodland.” True or false?
73. Which of these things is LA famous for? Your options are baseball, their huge meatloaf industry, Movies, and TV
74. Are there hidden tunnels under Los Angeles?
75. The Walk of Fame is in LA. True or false?
76. Where is the steepest street in California?
77. In LA, it’s illegal to lick toads. True or false?
78. Which was the first city to measure the speed of light?
79. Which of these is NOT a real NFL team from LA? Your options: Los Angeles Rams, Los Angeles Chargers, Los Angeles Express, Los Angeles Broncos
80. Which year was the first modern and truly accurate measurement of the speed of light?
81. Complete the sentence: LA has more ___ per person than any other city in the world.
82. Where was the first modern and truly accurate measurement of the speed of light conducted?
83. Which award did Albert A. Michelson win?
84. Who conducted the first modern and truly accurate measurement of the speed of light?
85. Before the late 1950s, Los Angeles didn’t permit any part of buildings other than decorative towers to be more than how many feet?
86. Which year did the ‘Battle of Los Angeles’ happen?
87. Little Tokyo became Bronzeville before it became Little Tokyo again. True or false?
88. L.A. used to have a Little Italy. True or false?
89. Where are the hidden remnants of Little Italy strewn?
90. Which year did the ‘four level’ world’s largest stacked interchange open?
91. The Harbor, Hollywood, Pasadena, and Santa Ana Freeways became 32 lanes moving in how many directions?
92. Which year did LA have a tornado touch down in DTLA?
93. Which year did the ‘four level’ world’s largest stacked interchange complete?
94. “Tanya” was?
95. Which songs are about Angela Davis?
96. The FBI believed that Weather Underground members were hiding out?
97. Eldridge Cleaver, the Peace and Freedom candidate for president in California in 1968, was ruled ineligible to run because?
98. The L.A. Free Press published?
99. In its early days, KPFK broadcast?
100. The Renaissance Pleasure Faire started out as?
101. “Burn Baby Burn” was?
102. “Death to the Fascist Insect” was?
103. Wattstax was?
104. Which were targets of terrorist attacks by anti-Castro Cubans in L.A.?
105. The most famous L.A. artist in the ‘60s was?
106. The biggest mass felony prosecution of black student activists in U.S. history was the 1,730 felony charges against 24 students at?
107. Which of the following headlines about the Watts Uprising did NOT appear on the L.A. Times front page?
108. In March of 1968, a mass walkout of Chicano students was scheduled to take place at local high schools. Students at which Los Angeles high school jumped the gun, with 2,700 walking out en masse the day before?
109. The Treaty of Cahuenga signed on July 13, 1847, gave the United States what territory?
110. Los Angeles was founded on September 4, 1781, and was called what by the Spanish governor of Alta California?
111. Los Angeles was once the West’s wealthiest county due to what?
112. Which year were the first oranges exported from LA?
113. What produce was exported from Los Angeles for the first time on February 14, 1886?
114. In the early twentieth century, LA experienced what?
115. William Mulholland constructed what to bring more water to the city of Los Angeles.
116. Which year was the 200-mile-long aqueduct completed?
117. The completion of what transportation route opened up Los Angeles to shipping?
118. What allowed for the quadrupling of the Los Angeles population in the mid-nineteenth century?
119. In the early twentieth century, what led filmmakers to Los Angeles?
120. Los Angeles has a knack for keeping itself relevant. For example, was known by what moniker during the California Gold Rush?
121. Which year did D.W. Griffith shot the first movie in LA?
122. Who was the first person to film a movie in Los Angeles?
123. How long was the aqueduct that William Mulholland proposed?
124. The first-ever film shot of the city was on ___________when an employee of Thomas Edison used a motion picture camera to capture Los Angeles street life.
125. Los Angeles County, in which Los Angeles is located, is the largest county in?
126. Around 47.7% of all Californians live where?
127. Los Angeles is similar in size to?
128. Los Angeles is located in Southern California, often called?
129. What is the official abbreviation of Los Angeles?
130. LA city sits at the same latitude as which other city?
131. The highest temperature ever recorded in Los Angeles was?
132. The lowest temperature ever recorded in Los Angeles was?
133. What is the official abbreviation of the Los Angeles International Airport code?
134. Slogans for Los Angeles included?
135. Some common nicknames for Los Angeles are?
136. The Los Angeles flag shows the official City Seal in the center. The background zigzag stripes represent three major California crops: which are they?
137. People from Los Angeles are called?
138. How tall is Wilshire Grand Center?
139. The tallest building in Los Angeles is?
140. Wilshire Grand Center stands at a height of?
141. Name other iconic buildings in LA?
142. LA’s most famous beaches include?
143. The Capitol Records Building is considered iconic because it was built in such a way to resemble a?
144. In 2021, vandals were caught trying to change the Hollywood word to?
145. The 45 ft (13.7 m)-tall, 350 feet (106.7 m)-long white letters of the Hollywood Sign has been gracing Mount Lee in the Hollywood Hills since?
146. Its huge globe statue is yet another iconic Los Angeles sight. It is also one of the oldest and most famous Hollywood studios, plus an amusement park. Name it?
147. The_______, which has been seen in many movies from both inside the train station and the outside, is considered “The Last Great American Train Station”.
148. It is considered the world’s best wax museum? Which is it?
149. There are three national parks within day-tripping distance from Los Angeles: name them
150. Los Angeles is home to two Fortune 500 countries:
151. The ____northeast of Los Angeles are a National Monument. They have peaks higher than 10,000 ft (3000 m) and protect wildlife such as the endangered California condor.
152. How many colleges are there in LA?
153. How many universities are there in LA?
154. Which are the 2 largest universities in LA?
155. ______in Costa Mesa is the largest shopping mall in Greater Los Angeles and on the west coast of the United States.
156. Which is the second busiest airport in the US?
157. The richest person in Los Angeles is ____with a net worth of 21.6 billion USD.
158. 71% of Los Angeles County residents voted for Joe Biden in the?
159. Name some major newspapers in LA?
160. Los Angeles has how many newspapers in total?
161.________ won 33 straight games during the 1971-1972 season. In fact, they hold the record for the NBA’s longest winning streak.
162. Los Angeles has how many major professional sports teams?
163. Name the major professional sports team in LA?
164. 23 National League pennants and six World Series championships were won by?
165. The Kings won two Stanley Cups in?
166. Many famous players have played for the Dodgers, including the first African American in the modern Major Leagues:
167. The 1932 and 1984 Summer Olympic Games were held in Los Angeles, and the city won the bid to host the?
168. Which year did the largest first-time marathon take place in the city–the City of Los Angeles Marathon–with nearly 11,000 participants?
169. Name famous actors born in LA?
170. Which year did the FIFA World Cup final match take place at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Los Angeles?
171. Name a famous actress born in LA?
172. Who was the 40th president of the US born in LA?
173. Name notable singers born in LA?
174. Name a famous brand hailing from LA?
175. How many Nobel Prize Winners come from LA?
176. Name some of the notable Nobel Prize Winners from LA?
177. Los Angeles attained city status in 1835 and became officially incorporated in?
178. The first discovery of Gold at Placerita Canyon prompted the city’s first population boom. Which year was discovered?
179. The city’s first newspaper, the Los Angeles Star, began publication in?
180. Southern California’s first railroad, the Los Angeles & San Pedro line, began operating in?
181. The City Railroad Company was established in?
182. Which year was oil discovered within the city limits?
183. The Hollywood sign was installed in?
184. The Academy Awards began in __ and have been hosted in various venues in the city ever since.
185. Los Angeles International Airport first opened in?
186. Los Angeles hosted the Summer Olympic Games in which year?
187. The population of Los Angeles surpassed 1 million in?
188. Which year did Disneyland open its doors to the public?
189. Which year did Hollywood reach its “Golden Age”?
190. The first ever Grammy Awards ceremony was held in 1959 simultaneously in?
191. The I-15 Highway from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, Nevada was opened to traffic in?
192. In the 1964 Watts Riots, ___members of the National Guard had to be called in.
193. The first City of Los Angeles Marathon took place in 1986, with nearly how many participants?
194. The 1994 Northridge earthquake was the most expensive in Los Angeles history, why?
195. The first Los Angeles Metro Line (blue) opened in?
196. The city’s first mayor of Hispanic descent since 1872, Antonio Villaraigosa, was elected in?
197. Kobe Bryant, one of the best basketball players of all time, and who played for the Los Angeles Lakers, died in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, Greater Los Angeles. Which year did he die?
198. Which year did the SoFi Stadium open in Inglewood, on the former site of the Hollywood Park Racetrack?
199. Which are some of the city’s cultural landmarks celebrating their milestone anniversaries in 201?