Do you enjoy playing golf? Are you so much into the game that you joined a golfers club and even purchased a golf simulator? You’re not the only one! Golf is played worldwide, in fact, it is Ireland’s most popular game.
Golf sport offers a chance to connect with other players. While many golfers may have vast knowledge in golfing techniques and strategies, they may not know its incredible history. This trivia exercise will unveil interesting facts you didn’t know about Golf.
Golf Trivia Questions and Answers
You may have wondered how the game’s rules have developed over time. Go through each question below to find out the origin of Golf customs.
Check out the following Golf trivia questions and answers to help any curious golfer become knowledgeable.
2. What is the longest club in a golf set?
3. Who was chosen as the captain for Team USA for the 2012 Ryder Cup?
4. Who won his only Open Championship at Royal St Georges, Sandwich in 1985?
5. The word ‘golf’ is an acronym that stands for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden. True or false?
6. At 61, which golfer became the oldest winner of a senior major since 1980?
7. In which country will the 2022 Ryder Cup be held?
8. According to the USGA rules, how many golf clubs are you allowed to have in your bag?
9. Who was Jack Nicklaus’ teacher?
10. Which major is Rory McIlroy yet to win?
11. Which of the following is not a golf club: putter, copper, driver, iron, wood?
12. Who wrote “Golf for Dummies”?
13. Who became the first European player to score what is now the maximum of five points in a single Ryder Cup in 2018?
14. What is the difference between a birdie and a bogey?
15. Who invented the sand wedge?
16. What is the maximum amount of time allowed to look for a lost ball?
17. What are the four major golf championships?
18. What did the Gutta golf ball replace?
19. What is Tiger Woods’ real first name?
20. What is the maximum mass and diameter of a golf ball?
21. Which Korean golfer won the 2011 Players Championship after defeating David Toms in a playoff?
22. Who was the first Englishman to win the US Open after World War II?
23. What is an albatross?
24. Which American tour rookie was a surprise winner of the 2011 PGA Championship?
25. By what name is the trophy presented to the winner of The Open Championship most commonly known?
26. Only four people in history have made an albatross in the Masters. Name one of them?
27. Golf is an Olympic sport. True or false?
28. What year did the United States Open expand to 72 holes from 36?
29. Which two golfers have been world No 1 without winning a major?
30. Which club hosts the Masters’ Tournament?
31. Who was the first golfer to successfully defend his Masters title?
32. Which US golfer had 11 successive tournament wins in 1945?
33. How many times has Tiger Woods won the Masters?
34. What Hawaii-born golfer won the 2014 U.S. Women’s Open, her first career major win?
35. Who competes in the Ryder Cup?
36. Which golfer captured the Masters in 2011?
37. True or false – a ball that rests between the flagstick and the cup is considered to be holed?
38. Which is the oldest golf course in the world?
39. Which golfer won two LPGA majors in 2011?
40. What are the five defined areas of the golf course?
41. Who was the first golfer to make a hole-in-one on television?
42. Which golf term is defined as a “score of one over the designated par for a hole”?
43. Which Swedish golfer, who retired in 2008 with 90 international titles, is widely regarded as the best ever female player?
44. At the Masters in Augusta, Sam Snead finished how many times in the top 25?
45. How many holes are there in a round of professional golf?
46. Which Scottish king banned golf in 1457?
47. Which Filipino golfer was the cash leader for the 2011 Asian Tour?
48. Which country has the largest number of golf courses?
49. Who won golf’s 2017 CIMB Classic?
50. What was the name of the golf course where the European Ryder Cup team infamously came back to clutch victory from the jaws of defeat?
51. Which Northern Irish golfer won the 2011 Open Championship?
52. How old was Hale Irwin when he won the 1990 U.S Open Golf Championship?
53. Many people will credit the Scottish with inventing the game of golf that we are familiar with today. However, which European nation developed a similar game all the way back in the 13th century?
55. What term is used in describing a situation where a golfer scores 8 on a hole?
56. Nicknamed “The Big Easy”, this multi-sport-playing golfer turned pro in 1989. He won the U.S. Open in 1994 and 1997. Who was this South African golfer?
57. Which golf term is defined as the “area of grass surrounding the putting surface”?
58. Which American golfer was nicknamed “The Joplin Ghost”?
59. My driver is from the most popular Driver Manufacturer on the planet. It has 4 different weight ports for trajectory modification on the back of the head. The face is titanium and the head is all black. The standard graphite shaft is black, gold, and red. Which one is it?
60. Who won the World Golf Championships-HSBC Champions in 2017?
61. When did Nick Faldo first win the Masters Tournament?
62. After graduating from the University of Arizona, American golfer Jim Furyk carded his first professional win at which event on the U.S. PGA Tour?
63. Which golfer is nicknamed “Cinderella”“?
64. After graduating from Stanford University, American golfer Tom Watson carded his first professional win at which event on the U.S. PGA Tour?
65. In which year did Fred Couples win his first major championship in golf?
66. Irish golfer Padraig Harrington won 9 events on the European Tour before carding his first win at which event on the U.S. PGA Tour?
67. Where is the Torrey Pines Golf Club?
68. Which female golfer won the 2018 LPGA Rookie of the Year Award?
69. In the 1940s, the British Open was only played from 1946-49 due to World War II. Who below did not win a British Open during that period?
70. Who was the first golfer to win over $1 million in a single year?
71. Which year did American legendary golfer, Tiger Woods win his first Masters Tournament?
72. The American boom in golf began shortly after a 20-year-old American amateur won the U.S. Open in 1913. Name the person?
73. Which golfer is nicknamed “El Nino”?
74. Tiger Woods is one of the world’s most decorated golfers. Which year did he win the PGA Championship?
75. 2003 has been christened the “Year of the 40-Somethings” in golf. Which of these “oldie” golfers won the fewest tournaments in 2003?
76. What is golfer Jack Nicklaus’ nickname?
77. Ariya Jutanugarn is one of the most successful female golfers. Which country does she come from?
78. At what event did Phil Mickelson’s first PGA Tour victory occur and what year?
79. How many attempts did it take Mi Hyun Kim to qualify for the LPGA?
80. How many PGA Championships did Gene Sarazen win?
81. Forty some years ago, Bob Charles became the first left-hander to win a Golfing Major, when he won the 1963 British Open. On which course did he accomplish this feat?
82. Who won golf’s 2017 CIMB Classic?
83. What is the international governing body for golf?
84. Who won golf’s 2017 Sanderson Farms Championship?
85. Which was the first Irish course at which the British Open was held?
86. Which golfer was the runner-up to Patrick Reed in the 2018 Masters Tournament?
87. Who did Ryder Cup captain Lanny Wadkins overlook as a captain’s pick for the 1995 U.S. Ryder Cup team, despite the fact this player had won twice earlier in the year?
88. Which famous golf player is nicknamed “Lefty”?
89. Who did Craig Stadler defeat in a playoff to capture the 1982 Masters?
90. In Canada, what is the national governing body for golf?
91. In what tournament did Tiger Woods miss his first cut as a professional?
92. Bernhard Langer is a distinguished golfer. Which country was he born in?
93. In stroke play, what is the penalty when a player hits a putt from the green and the ball strikes another player’s ball on the putting surface?
94. In which year was Tiger Woods named the PGA Tour Rookie of the Year?
95. Payne Stewart won his 1st U.S. Open in 1991. At what Course was the event held?
96. How old was Hale Irwin when he won the 1990 U.S Open Golf Championship?
97. If I made a triple bogey on the 1st hole at Royal Lytham and St Annes, what score would I write on my card?
98. In golf, which other word refers to the terminology “a hole-in-one”?
99. Who drained a seven iron from 167 yards on the final hole of the 1990 Bay Hill Invitational to beat Greg Norman?
100. Which male golfer was the winner of 2018 U.S. Open Champion?
101. Who won the 1999 British Open?
102. Bobby Jones won four tournaments in 1930. This accomplishment can be referred to as?
103. Who was the first golfer to shoot a competitive 59?
104. In which year did Chinese golfer Tianlang Guan compete in the Masters Tournament?
105. How many PGA stops were there in Canada in 2000?
106. Ben Hogan has been triumphant in the U.S. Open Championship on how many occasions?
107. Carnoustie, Turnberry, and Royal Troon are frequently-used courses in what major tournament?
108. Before the use of tees, it was common for golfers to use a small pile of sand. True or false?
109. Which year was golf’s last appearance at the Olympic Games before returning to the line-up of sports in 2016?
110. Peter Thomson was a great golfer in his career. He was a three-time Australian Open Champion, and nine-time New Zealand Open Champion. Which major tournament did he win five times between 1954-1965?
111. Golf balls travel significantly further on hot days than on cold days. True or false?
112. Who was top of the golf world rankings prior to lockdown?
113. At the age of 16, Spaniard Sergio Garcia won the European Amateur Championship before turning professional, and carding his first win at which event on the U.S. PGA Tour?
114. The word caddie originated from the French explorer Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac. True or false?
115. In dollars, what is the total prize money purse available in The Players Championship – the most lucrative event on the tour?
116. After graduating from the University of Southern California, American golfer Craig Stadler carded his first professional win at which event on the U.S. PGA Tour?
117. 80% of golfers will never play to a handicap of less than 18. True or false?
118. Tiger Woods was ranked No. __ in the world when he won The Masters in 2019?
119. Who won back-to-back U.S. Women’s Open titles in 1972-73?
120. Golf is the only sport to have ever been played on the moon. True or False?
121. Royal St George’s Golf Club is based in which English town that shares its name with a popular lunchtime food?
122. Prior to the invention of rubber, what were golf balls made of?
123. In a set of wedges, which is also known as a lob wedge?
124. Who is the only U.S. President to have been a club member at Augusta National?
125. Who played with Tiger Woods in the final pairing of the 1997 US Masters?
126. Who was the “Jackie Robinson of golf,” becoming the first African-American on the PGA Tour?
127. Who did Bob Charles defeat in the 1963 British Open?
128. Which country has the most golf courses per capita in the World?
129. What city was the 1999 Ryder Cup held at?
130. How old was Tiger Woods when he got his first hole-in-one?
131. Who has the most PGA Tour wins without ever winning a major?
132. Between 1991 and 2001: what is the only PGA Tour event that both Stuart Appleby and Robert Allenby have each won?
133. What year was the Nextgengolf City Tour founded?
134. What slogan does Vijay Singh have written on his bag?
135. The golf masters championship begun in which year?
136. Who choked on the 72nd hole, with a stupid triple bogey in the 1999 British Open?
137. How many total rules exist in golf?
138. What’s a scratch golfer’s handicap?
139. Who was the first golfer to shoot a 58 in competitive play?
140. The definition of Par in golf?
141. Who was the highest-ranked Canadian on the PGA tour in mid-2000?
142. If your short dropped into a water hazard, what penalty stroke do you receive?
143. What comic actor scored huge sales with his Bad Golf Made Easy instructional videos?
144. What is the standard average for par on an 18 hole course?
145. What do golfers shout to warn other golfers when they hit an errant shot?
146. Who summed up a playoff loss to Jack Nicklaus at the 1991 U. S. Senior Open with “the Bear crushed the Mouse”?
147. Where was the 2009 US Open played?
148. What do you hit a golf ball with?
149. Who’s the most successful Zimbabwean golfer of all time?
150. “The three things I fear most in golf are lightning, Ben Hogan, and a downhill putt”, is a famous quote from which PGA Hall of Fame great?
151. You cannot ask advice on club selection for example from anyone other than your team mate. True or false?
152. How many rounds must a golfer have played to be eligible for a handicap?
153. Bobby Locke was the first great South African player having won the British Open in 1949, 1950, and 1952. Essentially, he mentored Gary Player who took Ernie Els and Retief Goosen under his wing. Now a number of South African’s are making waves on the PGA tour. Of the listed players, who is NOT a native of South Africa?
154. You cannot spoon, scrape, or flick it in a style that cannot be described as a?
155. What female golfer’s high school nickname was “Taco”?
156. Justin Leonard sunk the clutch putt in the 1999 Ryder Cup, on the 17th green, that helped lead the Americans to victory. Who was he playing in that match?
157. What is the season number of 2019 PGA tour?
158. What golfer hit Ben Crenshaw in the head with his putter in 1986, forcing Crenshaw to head for the hospital?
159. What college did Billy Andrade attend?
160. What do you play if your ball is lost out of bounds?
161. What is the name of the first golf course designed by Mark O’Meara?
162. Wanamaker trophy presented to the winner of which champion?
163. What Japanese golfer is the only player to have won events on the PGA tour, Senior Tour, Japanese, European, and Australian Tours?
164. What’s the range of irons?
165. What do you use to loft the golf ball?
166. At what course was the 1995 Ryder Cup played at?
167. What is the highest hole at the Masters?
168. What is the lowest hole at the Masters?
169. This South African golfer was nicknamed “The Goose”, and has won two U.S. Open titles. Who is this from Pietersburg?
170. Bobby Jones’s home golf course was?
171. In 2004, the first professional golfer from the country of India qualified to play on the U.S. PGA tour. Who was he?
172. Tiger Wood studied from which college?
173. The most common par on a regulation pro course is______?
174. Where is the Grandview Resort course located which is opened in 2001?
175. Tiger Woods was widely accused of being in a “slump” in 2003, after having failed to win one of the four major championships, in spite of the fact that he won how many tournaments through the first week of October?
176. Hybrid Club is also known as what?
177. What score did David Duval shoot in the 3rd Round of the 2001 British Open?
178. If you’re playing a shorter round, should you pass someone playing a longer round?
179. In golf, what is a ‘rough’?
180. Should a golfer seek advice from their caddie?
181. Which is an imaginary golf course and practically does not exist?
182. What is a caddy?
183. What is Mulligan in terms of golf?
184. After winning the U.S. Girls Junior Amateur Championship, American golfer Amy Alcott carded her first professional win at which event on the U.S. LPGA Tour?
185. Titleist is a company famous for what?
186. Who is nicknamed ‘Boom-Boom’?
187. Who won the Walker Cup 2019?
188. Major winner Vijay Singh hailed from which tropical island nation?
189. Which club has the highest trajectory?
190. Before turning 50 and becoming elgible for the Senior Tour, for what network did Lee Trevino serve as a golf commentator?
191. Which city has an airport with a golf course between runways?
192. Which Irish golf course hosted the 2005 Ryder Cup matches?
193. The first Ryder Cup to be held in America in the 2000s was held in which State?
194. Who won the 1999 Bell Canadian Open?
195. You are in the fairway, trying to get the ball on the green. You take a swing, but unfortunately the ball only goes off the ground a few feet and rolls until stopping well short of the green. What will help the most in correcting this mistake?
196. Zimbabwean Nick Price played on the Southern Africa and European Tours before carding his first win at which event on the U.S. PGA Tour?
197. Spaniard Severiano Ballesteros turned professional at the age of 16 and played on the European Tour, before carding his first win at which event on the U.S. PGA Tour?
198. After completion of his collegiate career at Florida State University in 1981, American golfer Paul Azinger turned professional and carded his first win at which event on the U.S. PGA Tour?
199. What is a “sandy”?
200. Who is known as ‘The Lion’?