Getting to know your coworkers on a personal level is beneficial. Although getting personal in the workplace can be challenging, you will need the right attitude, and fun activities like get-to-know-you questions to steer the process in the right direction.
These questions will help the team familiarize with new employees, bond with current employees, and thus boost productivity. You will find out places they prefer to visit, fashion trends that inspire their style, or even their most productive season of the year.
Get To Know You Questions for Work
You can put active listening to good use by asking additional questions about your coworker’s responses. If for instance, your coworker has met a famous person before, you would like to find out what transpired next.
Throw a couple of these “get to know you” questions for work, in a team-building exercise, or even a one-on-one catch-up, sure to help you bond with your colleagues on a whole new level.
1. What is a fun or interesting fact about your hometown?
2. What’s your job title?
3. What do you do at [Company] and in what circumstances would I come to you for something?
4. Where are you in birth order (oldest? middle? youngest?) and do you think it affects your personality?
5. What sort of duties do you have at work?
6. What’s one professional skill you’re currently working on?
7. How many different states have you lived in?
8. Do you have any mentors in your professional life?
9. What’s your go-to productivity trick?
10. What kind of pet do you have, and how did you choose its name?
11. What was your first paying job?
12. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
13. Who inspires you?
14. What kind of music do you like?
15. Who has influenced you most when it comes to how you approach your work?
16. If you had to listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
17. What’s the best concert you’ve been to?
18. What animal do you think most closely matches your personality?
19. Do you like traveling?
20. What behavior or personality trait do you most attribute your success to, and why?
21. If you could choose one age to be forever, what age would it be and why?
22. What’s the best place you’ve traveled to?
23. How do you prefer to start your day?
24. What are three items you’d take with you to a deserted island?
25. Do you like reading? If so, what genre of books do you like?
26. What’s your favorite famous or inspirational quote?
27. What’s the best book you’ve read recently?
28. How do you prefer to end your day?
29. What’s your favorite sports team?
30. What’s the most exciting part of your job?
31. What was your first job?
32. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
33. Where did you work before this position?
34. What’s the worst job you’ve ever had, and what did you learn from it?
35. What’s your favorite hobby?
36. What animal would you consider your spirit animal?
37. What’s a mistake you made early on in your career, and what did you learn from it?
38. What TV show or movie do you absolutely refuse to watch? Why?
39. Do you have any vacations planned?
40. What led you to this career?
41. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
42. What’s something you’re proud of?
43. What energizes you at work?
44. Name one thing you’re willing to spend more money on to make sure you get the best quality?
45. What’s your favorite food?
46. What drains you at work?
47. What’s the best thing that has happened to you so far this week?
48. What’s your favorite movie?
49. What’s one thing that surprised you about working at [Company]?
50. What characteristics do you like most about yourself?
51. Do you have any hidden talents or hobbies?
52. What’s a work-related accomplishment that you’re really proud of?
53. If you could live in any city, where would it be and why?
54. Do you have any pets?
55. If you could change something in the world, what would it be?
56. Are you a coffee or tea person?
57. What did you want to be when you grew up when you were in elementary school?
58. Who do you look up to within the company?
59. What’s your biggest work pet peeve?
60. Where was your first job?
61. If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?
62. Do you prefer closed-door offices or open-concept layouts? Why?
63. What motivates you at work?
64. What’s your most interesting/embarrassing office story?
65. What’s one thing you’re really bad at?
66. What’s the biggest misconception people have about your position?
67. What motivates you?
68. What’s one thing you’re really good at?
69. If you could add one thing to [Company’s] office, what would it be?
70. How do you wind down after work?
71. What show are you currently binge-watching?
72. If you could write a book about your life, what would the title be and why?
73. What could you give a 30-minute presentation about with no advance preparation?
74. Have you ever met anyone famous?
75. What advice would you give to your teenage self?
76. What’s something that has surprised you about your chosen career path?
77. What’s a skill you’d like to improve on?
78. What do you do to turn things around when you’re having a bad day?
79. What’s a trip that changed you, and why?
80. What is your favorite thing to do when you’re not working?
81. What’s a topic you wish you knew more about?
82. If you could have a career in anything, what would it be?
83. What’s one of your favorite memories from the past year?
84. Do you like old-fashioned calendars or do you save all your events digitally? Why?
85. What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?
86. What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?
87. Are you more productive in the mornings, afternoons, or evenings? Why?
88. What’s your least favorite chore around the house?
89. What’s one thing you’re currently trying to make a habit?
90. What’s the coolest or most interesting thing you’re working on right now?
91. What’s your favorite holiday?
92. What’s one thing you’re learning now, and why is it important?
93. If all jobs had the exact same salary, which career would you want?
94. Can you speak more than one language?
95. What’s a challenging situation you had to overcome professionally, and how did you handle it?
96. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
97. What was your favorite subject in school?
98. What’s something you saw recently that made you smile?
99. How do you describe what you do for a living to family and friends?
100. How would your friends describe you?
101. What’s something you’ve done, but will never do again?
102. Discuss a project or achievement that may not have happened if you weren’t involved?
103. Are you able to keep a secret?
104. Do you like roller coasters?
105. What’s the best piece of professional advice you’ve ever received?
106. Do you have any phobias?
107. If you could play an instrument, what would it be?
108. Which historical figure would you most like to meet?
109. What’s something—big or small—that you’re really bad at?
110. What’s your idea of a perfect day?
111. What’s the best advice you were ever given? Who was it from?
112. What was the worst job you ever had?
113. If you could pick up a new skill in an instant what would it be?
114. What’s your guilty pleasure?
115. What fictional place would you like to visit?
116. What was your favorite band 10 years ago?
117. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
118. What’s something you’re planning on doing in the next year that you’ve never done?
119. Been anywhere recently for the first time?
120. If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would you choose?
121. What’s something that recently made you smile?
122. If you had to pick one age to be permanent, which age would you choose?
123. What is your 15 minutes of fame?
124. What fashion trend do you regret?
125. Who had the most influence on you growing up?
126. What would we most likely find you doing on the weekend?
127. If you could select a superpower, what would it be?
128. What’s the funniest pick-up line you have either heard or used?
129. What was the first thing you bought with your own money?
130. What’s your favourite dad joke?
131. What’s something you want to do in the next year that you’ve never done before?
132. If you could only have three apps on your smartphone, which would you pick?
133. What do you pretend to hate but actually love?
134. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited?
135. What would the title of your autobiography be?
136. How do you like your eggs?
137. If you were the only human left on Earth, what would you do?
138. What’s the weirdest fact you know?
139. Do you have a favorite charity you wish more people knew about?
140. What trend do you hope makes a comeback?
141. Why should we hire you?
142. Got any phobias you’d like to break?
143. What’s one hobby you’d love to get into?
144. What is your attitude towards work?
145. What’s one item you can’t leave your house or apartment without?
146. What do you know about our company and the position you are interviewing for?
147. Have you returned anything you’ve purchased recently? Why?
148. What’s one item you want to own that you don’t?
149. How did you choose your field of study?
150. Do you collect anything?
151. What’s one song or artist that you’re embarrassed to admit you like?
152. What do you dislike about your current job?
153. What’s your favorite breakfast cereal?
154. What’s one song you have completely memorized?
155. If you didn’t have to work, what would you do with your time?
156. Spring, summer, fall, or winter?
157. What’s one totally irrational fear that you have?
158. What’s the best meal you’ve ever had?
159. What’s the top destination on your must-visit list?
160. Do you cook? What’s your favorite recipe?
161. What’s your favorite place to eat around here?
162. Pineapple pizza. Yay or nay?
163. What’s your weirdest habit?
164. What was your favorite band 10 years ago?
165. Do you have any side hustles?
166. What’s your go-to karaoke song?
167. If you had a yacht, what would you name it?
168. What’s the most interesting job you’ve ever had?
169. What’s the weirdest thing a boss or coworker has ever done?
170. What’s your most hated household chore?
171. Which fictional family would you want to be part of?
172. How would you describe your job to a bunch of five-year-olds?
173. What’s the weirdest thing a customer has ever done?
174. What’s your most used emoji?
175. Show the best meme you have in your phone?
176. What makes a good boss?
177. How would you spend a million dollars in 24 hours?
178. What’s the worst career advice you ever received?
179. What’s the coolest thing you’re working on right now?
180. How do you like to get feedback?
181. What do you listen to on your commute?
182. What are the toughest challenges you’ve had at work?
183. What’s your favorite childhood memory?
184. What upcoming technological innovation will dramatically impact the industry in the next five years?
185. What skill do you think everyone should learn?
186. Have you taken a huge leap of faith at work? Did it pay off?
187. What’s your favorite thing to do with your family?
188. What is your favorite part of your job?
189. If you could be an animal, what animal would you be and why?
190. What’s your best scary story?
191. What TV or movie family best represents your own?
192. Are you a dog or cat person?
193. If you had 25 hours a day, how would you use your extra time?
194. What do you know about your family’s origins?
195. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
196. How would you spend a million dollars? How about a billion?
197. Who was your childhood best friend? Are you still in touch with them?
198. If you were a vegetable, what vegetable would you be and why?
199. What is your favorite way to spend your free time?
200. What movie have you seen the most times?
201. Which decade would you like to live in?
202. What is your most-used social media app?
203. What are your three favourite foods?
204. Would you survive a zombie apocalypse?
205. What are your three favourite drinks?
206. What is your favorite material possession?
207. Do you enjoy podcasts? What are your favorites?
208. What was your favorite subject in high school?
209. What’s your favourite breakfast cereal?
210. If you could meet anyone, dead or alive, who would it be? Why?
211. If you were a wrestler what would be your entrance theme song?
212. If you could broadcast a show, what would it be about?
213. If you had to play one album forever which one would it be?
214. Have you ever been told you look like someone famous, who was it?
215. If you could eliminate one thing from your daily routine, what would it be and why?
216. What would you like to be known/remembered for?
217. If you could choose any historical figure to be your imaginary friend, who would it be and why?