Everyone is a little nervous on the first day of school including teachers. Whether you are a middle school learner, high school student, or even in university, the first encounter with a new teacher and in a new class is bound to feel awkward.
Getting to know your students can directly affect how engaged they are during class throughout the school year. You may have to create a good rapport with them by knowing their interests and their preferred mode of study e.t.c.
Get To Know You Questions for Students
Students are more likely to be active in class if they are learning things that spark their interests. For instance, when teaching literature you may inquire if learners enjoy reading fiction books like the harry potter book series, hardy boys or non-fiction books e.t.c.
Here is a list of “get to know you” questions for students sure to make a lively classroom experience.
1. What’s your favorite book or movie?
2. If you could have any extinct animal as a pet, which would you choose?
3. Who is your hero?
4. Who would you most like to meet in real life?
5. What’s your favorite snack at the movies?
6. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
7. What’s the last thing that made you laugh out loud?
8. What’s the best sport to watch but not play?
9. What is your biggest fear?
10. Where would you most like to go on vacation?
11. Which movie makes you laugh every time you watch it?
12. What is your favorite family vacation?
13. What’s your earliest memory?
14. What celebrity would you want to be your best friend?
15. What would you change about yourself if you could?
16. What is the best gift you have ever received?
17. You’re a theme park character! Which one would you be and why?
18. What really makes you angry?
19. If you were a superhero, what superpowers would you like to have?
20. Which name would you choose if you had to rename yourself?
21. What is the perfect weather for you?
22. What motivates you to work hard?
23. If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
24. What’s the weirdest thing in your backpack/purse right now?
25. What makes you laugh the most?
26. What’s your least favorite smell?
27. What was the last movie you went to? What did you think?
28. What three things can you not live without?
29. If you could be any bug, what would you be?
30. What is your favorite game or sport to watch and play?
31. If you were King / Queen for a day, what would you do?
32. What’s the most expensive mistake you’ve ever made?
33. What would you sing at Karaoke night?
34. What do you think makes a good teacher?
35. What’s the corniest joke you know?
36. Which would you rather do: wash dishes, mow the lawn, clean the bathroom, or vacuum the house?
37. What do you do when you have free time?
38. Who in your family drives you the craziest?
39. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
40. How would your friends describe you?
41. How many languages does your family speak?
42. Who is your favorite author?
43. What’s your dream job?
44. What’s your favorite family dish or recipe?
45. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
46. In how many languages can you say ‘hello’?
47. What’s your best family memory?
48. Do you like or dislike surprises? Why or why not?
49. If you could join a famous band/pop group, which one would you join?
50. In the evening, would you rather play a game, visit a relative, watch a movie, or read?
51. Who would play you in a movie about your life?
52. What’s the strangest thing you have ever eaten?
53. Who’s the funniest person in your family?
54. What are your hobbies?
55. What’s your favorite kind of food?
56. List two pet peeves?
57. Does your family have a motto or slogan?
58. Where do you see yourself in five years?
59. Do you have any pets?
60. What animal best symbolizes your family?
61. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
62. What would you buy first if you had a million dollars?
63. If the space program was looking for volunteers to explore an alien planet, would you sign up?
64. What’s your favorite zoo animal?
65. Describe your ideal birthday party.
66. Would you prefer a night of all math homework or all English homework?
67. If you could go back in time to change one thing, what would it be?
68. What interesting places have you visited?
69. What is your favorite kind of character to read about?
70. How many pillows do you sleep with?
71. What three things would you take with you to a desert island?
72. If you had to choose between a science class and an art class, which would choose?
73. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
74. What would you like to achieve this year?
75. What time period would you definitely not want to live in?
76. What’s the longest you’ve gone without sleep (and why)?
77. What’s the tallest building you’ve been to the top in?
78. If you could have a magic homework machine that you could only program for one subject, which subject would you choose?
79. What weird topic would you most like to research?
80. How often do you buy clothes?
81. What is the perfect job for you?
82. What’s your favorite holiday?
83. If your life was a video game, what character would you be?
84. What was the last thing you recorded on TV?
85. What talent would you like to learn someday?
86. What was the last book you read?
87. If you could play any sport professionally, which would it be?
88. Are you a clean or messy person?
89. Do you like tent camping or do you prefer hotel vacations?
90. Who would you want to play you in a movie of your life?
91. In your perfect schedule, what would you spend your time doing?
92. What kitchen appliance do you use every day?
93. What makes a teacher a really good teacher?
94. Do you love or hate rollercoasters?
95. What part of school makes you feel frustrated?
96. What is your favorite childhood memory?
97. How old were you when you learned Santa wasn’t real? How did you find out?
98. What small change would make school a million times better?
99. Is your glass half full or half empty?
100. What’s a school rule that everyone knows but isn’t written anywhere?
101. Is it easier for you to learn by reading, by listening, or by doing?
102. What’s the craziest thing you’ve done in the name of love?
103. Do you prefer group work or working alone?
104. Is there anything you wished would come back into fashion?
105. Would you like to listen to music while you work, or would you rather work in silence?
106. Are you related or distantly related to anyone famous?
107. If you had to choose between president, vice-president, secretary, or treasurer of a club, which would you choose and why?
108. What do you do to keep fit?
109. Which school supply is most important to have at all times?
110. Who was your favorite teacher in school and why?
111. Would you rather have open-note longer tests or shorter quizzes with no notes?
112. What three things do you think of the most each day?
113. Give an example of a time when you had to learn or relearn something.
114. What song would you say best sums you up?
115. What’s your catchphrase?
116. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
117. What are you the proudest of?
118. What’s something I would never guess about you?
119. Who was your first crush?
120. Who is the most intelligent person you know?
121. What is one thing you will never do again?
122. Who knows you the best?
123. What’s one song that you’ll always remember the words to?
124. If you could win an Olympic medal for any sport, real or fake, what would it be?
125. What’s your favorite quote and why?
126. What’s your most hated household chore?
127. What do you consider a relationship deal-breaker?
128. Do you get good grades in school? Do you think you could do better? Explain.
129. What’s your biggest dream in life?
130. If you could erase one event from history, which one would you erase?
131. If you had a choice to come to school, would you come? Why or why not?
132. What has required the most courage of you in your life so far?
133. What are your greatest talents? If I needed your help to do something, what would it be?
134. What’s one thing that you worry about?
135. What are you excited about most in your life right now?
136. What is something that hasn’t happened yet, but would certainly break the internet?
137. Do you like group work or individual work?
138. Describe your relationship with your parents/guardians.
139. What’s the most spontaneous thing you’ve done in your life?
140. What’s a charity or cause that you support?
141. Describe something that annoys you?
142. What’s your favorite thing to do with your friends?
143. Who is someone you consider a hero in your life? Why?
144. What’s the most useful thing you own?
145. What’s your biggest fear?
146. If you could live anywhere, where would you live? Why?
147. What is the craziest thing you have ever done?
148. Which cartoon character do you wish was real?
149. Do you put your cereal in the bowl before the milk or the milk in before the cereal?
150. Who is someone you consider a friend? What do you like most about him/her?
151. What is the most interesting thing you have ever tasted?
152. What’s the funniest name you can think of for a pet?
153. What name do you like to be called in class?
154. What are you looking forward to in school this year?
155. What food do you like to cook?
156. Do you have any crazy roommate stories?
157. What do you like the least about school?
158. What can I as your teacher do to help you this year?
159. What is your favorite season? Why do you like it?
160. What’s the best Wi-Fi name you’ve seen?
161. In one sentence, how would you sum up the internet?
162. Do you prefer closed-door offices or open-concept layouts? Why?
163. What is your best quality or greatest strength?
164. Why are you learning English?
165. What job would you be terrible at?
166. What is the best song ever?
167. What do you buy at the store?
168. What is the best compliment you have ever received?
169. What online software, websites, and apps do you use to help you study and with projects?
170. What new technology are you interested in trying this year?
171. What do you spend your money on? Why?
172. What is the saddest movie you have seen?
173. Which 5-7 words best describe you? How do friends describe you?
174. What is the hottest place you have ever been to?
175. What stood out for you during your summer holidays? Describe your summer in one to three sentences?
176. What would you buy with $100?
177. What is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen in nature?
178. Would you like to attend college? If so, which colleges are your top three?
179. Tell me something you want me as a teacher to know about you.
180. What would you wish for if you had three wishes?
181. If you were the teacher, a leader or someone who influences society, what will you do differently?
182. Do you like humans or animals better?
183. Where would you spend all your time if you could?
184. What is the most valuable thing anyone has ever told you or what you have read?
185. When do you feel stressed? How do you deal with stress?
186. If you could choose to be one character from Harry Potter, who would you be?
187. What does creativity mean to you? Give an example of you being creative.
188. Describe yourself in three words?
189. If you could be any person for a day, who would you be and why?
190. If you were in charge of a school, what would it be like?
191. If you could design a school uniform, what would it look like? What colors would it be?
192. If you could do high school all over again, would you?
193. If you could have one song play every time you entered a room, what would it be?
194. If you could play any instrument, what would it be?
195. If you could redecorate your bedroom, what would it look like?
196. What would your life be like if you were a famous singer or idol?
197. What was your favorite age growing up?
198. What’s your favorite flower or plant?
199. Would you say you’re more of an extrovert or an introvert?
200. If you could write a book, what genre would you write it in? Mystery? Thriller? Romance? Historical fiction? Non-fiction?
201. What’s your favorite sleeping position?
202. What’s your go-to guilty pleasure?
203. The zombie apocalypse is coming, who are 3 people you want on your team?
204. What activity instantly calms you?
205. What is your most-used emoji?
206. Are you a fan of musicals—why or why not?
207. What was the worst haircut you ever had?
208. What’s the best joke you’ve ever heard?
209. If you were a wrestler what would be your entrance theme song?
210. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s: Which decade do you love the most and why?
211. What’s your favorite board game?
212. What is your absolute dream job?
213. What’s your most prized possession and why?
214. What is your favorite magical or mythological animal?
215. What’s the best concert you’ve ever been to?
216. What does your favorite shirt look like?
217. What’s something you’re excited about right now?
218. You’re going sail around the world, what’s the name of your boat?
219. What’s an essential part of your daily routine?
220. What is your favorite television network?