Religion is broad and cuts all across the world, from Christianity, Jewish, Pagans, to Non-pagans among many others. Each religion is different in terms of values, practices, sets of beliefs, and perspectives. These differences ought to remind us to be sensitive while speaking of them.
Let’s talk about Christianity and, in a more specific way, Catholicism.
Are you a Catholic faithful or just interested in the Catholic faith? Under the umbrella of Christianity, the Catholic faith is the most adopted faith across the world, with hundreds of millions of followers. Catholics have their own way of worship, which differentiates them from other religions.
Catholic Quiz Questions and Answers – 2022 and 2023
How much information do you have regarding the Catholic Faith? Well, perhaps you know the basics like the fact that the Catholic faithful start their prayers by doing the sign of the cross, or they are led by the Pope who resides in the Vatican, Rome. However, there is so much to learn about this religion.
There’s no better way to gain more knowledge than through trivia questions. You can gather around on a weekend and try answering some of these questions. The kids should also be tagged along, they will also learn a thing or two from these questions.
Let’s see how good of a Catholic faithful you are now, shall we?
1. “On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, A partridge in a pear tree…” According to a Roman Catholic symbolic interpretation, who does the partridge represent in the carol “The Twelve Days of Christmas”?
2. In St, John’s Gospel, who is called the “Word of God”?
3. Catholic church is also known as?
4. Apart from family prayers every night, our faith began to be taught in earnest by the nuns at primary school. What was the name of this subject beginning with C?
5. Who is called the patron saint of missions, even though she never left her convent?
6. Which church is the largest church of the Christian?
7. According to Catholics, there are three theological virtues. Which of these is not one of them? Faith, Justice, Hope, Charity.
9. How many dioceses does the Catholic Church have around the world?
10. What was the name of the young priest credited with the formation of the Knights of Columbus?
12. Who is the chief poster of the Catholic Church?
13. What prominent heresy did the First Council of Nicaea condemn?
15. What is the core belief of Catholicism?
16. How many sacraments does the Roman Catholic Church have?
18. According to the catholic church who is the successor to the Christ apostles?
19. According to the Book of Exodus, where did Moses receive the Ten Commandments?
21. What influenced the catholic church?
22. Which of these words refers to the area over which the Pope has jurisdiction as its bishop? St. Peter’s Cathedral, Holy See, Roman Curia, Lateran Palace
24. In which century was the word catholic is used to describe the church
25. Who succeeded Pope John Paul II?
27. Which church is the second-largest church of the Christian?
28. According to the Catholic Church, which of these is NOT a Fruit of the Holy Spirit? Patience Fortitude, Modesty, Goodness
30. Which council addressed the relationship between the catholic church and the modern world?
31. Sister Mary Mary presumed that you mastered the Sign of the Cross in the first grade. Which hand were you trained to use?
32. Which hierarchy does the catholic church follow?
33. In 1979 Pope John Paul II created a patron saint of those who promote ecology. Who is this heavenly Patron?
34. Who is the current pope of the catholic church?
35. You are in a Catholic Church. Where would you normally expect to find the pictures of the Stations of the Cross?
36. Who is the leading bishop of the catholic church?
37. Is Philadelphia an archdiocese or diocese?
38. According to which law does the catholic church regulate the government and organization?
39. Which law is the oldest continuously functioning legal system in the West?
40. A flat metal container used to carry Communion to the sick.
41. What concerns the Canon law?
42. In the stations of the cross, how many times did Jesus fall?
43. The Eastern Catholic Churches follow the traditions and spirituality of?
44. According to Luke, what type of animal were the two disciples asked to collect and bring to Jesus for his procession into Jerusalem?
45. What is the title of the canon law In 1990 for the eastern catholic church?
46. According to the Catholic Church, in what year was it founded?
47. What percent of the world are Catholics?
48. The Most Blessed Sacrament is reserved in vessels kept inside the ____________ for later distribution to the sick and for adoration.
49. Easter is also known as?
50. What is the title of the Vicar(s) of Christ on earth?
51. Most Christians refer to the week before Easter as?
52. Who is referred to as the first Pope?
53. Easter days include?
54. What do the two turtle doves in the “Twelve Days of Christmas” supposedly represent?
55. What is Eastertide?
56. As we grew older, we were taught about the Seven Sacraments of the Church, which were all to do with striving towards goodness in the possible steps we may encounter in life. What was it called if a man joined the priesthood?
57. How long does the Eastertide last?
58. The Catholic Church says that of all the virtues, one is the most excellent one. Which one is it? Faith, Charity, Justice, Hope
59. Easter customs include
60. What is sunrise services?
61. What was the primary reason the Knights of Columbus was formed?
62.What is the ecclesiastical full moon?
63. What resulted from the First Council of Lyon?
64. What is the ecclesiastical lunar calendar?
65. It is the time of the year when Catholics prepare for the resurrection of Christ: Easter. What is it called?
66. In which year was the book Book of Common Prayer published?
67. What is the first Commandment practiced by members of the Catholic Church?
68. What is the meaning of the word paschal?
69. According to Catholic tradition, who founded the Catholic Church?
70. In which year did the paschal full moon fall on Saturday, March 21?
71. What is the name of the rope/cord used to fasten the alb?
72. What is the golden number?
73. Sister Mary Mary leads the class to Mass every morning. What does the class do when the gospel is read?
74. The term Quartodeciman refer to
75. The first station is called “Jesus is condemned to death”. Who imposes the death sentence on Jesus?
76. What is Hebrew Calendar?
77. What is the name of the seminary in Philadelphia?
78. Who is pope victor 1?
79. The outer garment worn by the priest celebrating Mass is called?
80. When was the world council of churches founded?
81. How many apostles were there during the time of Jesus’ ministry (before his crucifixion), as validated and listed in the gospels?
82. The word saint is derived from?
83. Which Pope started the Second Vatican Council?
84. The catholic church defines a saint as?
85. What percentage of beeswax must all candles used during the Mass be made up of?
86. What is Canonization?
87. Who is saint Optatus?
88. According to Catholic teaching, who was the woman, chosen by God, to bear His only-begotten Son?
89. Who is Augustine of Hippo?
90. What is the term for the change of bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ during the Mass?
91.Which are the important works done by Augustine Hippo?
92. In “The Twelve Days of Christmas”, what nationality are the gifts of the hens?
93. Who is recognized as a saint in the Catholic Church?
94. Apart from conferring a name upon an infant and welcoming it into the family of Christ, for what other symbolic liberating purpose was Baptism carried out?
95. Which is the third-largest Christian communion?
96. Which of the following is not a sin against the virtue of Charity? Hate, Gluttony, Discord, Envy
97. Who is the doctor of the catholic church?
98. What is the first principal of Columbian Knighthood?
99. Who is the patron saint of brewers, printers, theologians?
100. The Council of Trent was called to respond to which major historical event?
101. What is Congregation for the Causes of Saints/
102. Any person holding this office is believed to be the successor of Peter. What is it?
103. Who is the founder of the procedure of congregation?
104. The ninth Commandment states, “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife”. What does this mean?
105. What is An apostolic constitution?
106. During the Church’s early years, persecution of Christians was commonplace under the Romans. However, Emperors Constantine I and Licinius signed what edict that declared religious tolerance?
107. who is the most recent perfect cardinal?
108. What is the color worn by the Priest during the ordinary time?
109. In which Year did Cardinal Giovanni Becciu resign?
110. Which of these is not one of the three chief kinds of sacramentals? Blessed objects of devotion, Receiving Holy Communion in the state of grace, Blessings given by priests and bishops, Exorcisms against evil spirits
111. What is the patron saint?
112. All good little Catholic boys and girls carry a rosary. How many Hail Mary beads are on a standard rosary?
113. who is Saint Veronica?
114. John Paul II says that God saw all His creation as “very good”. Where does this concept originate from?
115. What is a sacred tradition?
116. At the second Station Jesus receives something. What is it that He receives?
117. In which church all Christians, whether in heaven or on earth, are regarded as saints?
118. Who was the head of the Catholic Church in Philadelphia in 2002?
119. Which people don’t admire and honor saints?
120. A linen cloth used to clean the vessels used during Communion is known as?
121. How many degrees or levels are there in the Knights of Columbus?
122. Who saw the burning bush?
123. If you were to take a visit to the Vatican and were able to see the Pope, what color shoes would he probably be wearing?
124. Who was enlisted by the Roman soldiers to help Jesus carry his Cross to Calvary?
125. It is the color used in Catholic churches during the Advent season. What is it?
126. Which Pope finished the Second Vatican Council?
127. The Ten Commandments are known by what other name?
128. In the Mass how many Sundays are there in ordinary time?
129. What is the narrow piece of cloth worn over the left arm during the Traditional Latin Mass by priests?
130. Which Catholic prayer begins, “O my God, relying on Thy almighty power and infinite mercy and promises…”?
131. The house in which parish priests in the United States live is usually called what?
132. The third station is “Jesus falls the first time”. Which statement do Catholics most identify with this event?
133. Who was ‘immaculately conceived?
134. What is the name of the Cathedral in Philadelphia?
135. Which one of the following is NOT one of the four people said to be represented by “Four Calling/Colly Birds” in “The Twelve Days of Christmas”? John, Simon, Matthew, Luke
136. What holds the hosts distributed at Communion?
137. Where was Jesus born?
138. Which gifts are given to one by the Sacrament of Confirmation?
139. Not counting the Resurrection (considered by some to be an extra station), how many Stations of the Cross are there in the Roman Catholic tradition?
140. Blasphemy is a sin against which virtue?
141. In what year was St. Sixtus III consecrated Pope?
142. Which Council was held in 381 A.D.?
143. Cardinal virtues are those which help man attain God by rectifying the moral life of an individual in regards to himself. Of the following virtues, which is a cardinal virtue? Compassion, Temperance, Affability, Truthfulness
144. Peter was also known as whom?
145. Which Protestant doctrines was not condemned at the Council of Trent?
146. According to the Catholic Church, where do souls who are still in need of purification from minor sins go after death?
147. What is the feast wherein Catholics commemorate the coming of the Holy Spirit?
148. Which Sacrament celebrates the Last Supper of Christ?
149. In the numbering used by the Catholic Church, what is the seventh Commandment of God?
150. Who does Jesus meet at the fourth Station?
151. Who is the highest earthly authority in the Catholic Church?
152. A room where vestments, church furnishings, and sacred vessels are kept is called?
153. What is the origin of the word “ecology” as used in common parlance and by John Paul II in his message in 1990?
154. What was the name of the angel who appeared to Mary to tell her she was going to be the Mother of God’s Son?
155. Judas gave the thirty pieces of silver he had received for betraying Jesus back to the chief priests. Which piece of land did they purchase with that money?
156. What was it called when a parishioner spoke to a priest about the wrongs he or she had done since the last time they spoke?
157. This cardinal virtue is also defined as “firmness of soul” in the general sense, but as a cardinal virtue, it is the virtue needed to endure the trials of life.
158. Which teaching was firmly established at the First Vatican Council?
159. What is the first day of Lent known as in English?
160. What is the part of the Mass wherein the word of God is proclaimed?
161. What is the permission given by the Pope to celebrate the Tridentine Mass called?
162. The Ten Commandments are recorded in two books of the Bible. Do you know which two?
163. What is the table on which the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is celebrated?
164. What is the position a man may hold while training to be a Priest which allows him to read the Gospel at Mass and assist the Priest?
165. Which heresy maintained that Christ was not truly God?
166. Which saint is said to protect travelers?
167. John Paul II reminds us that the Second Vatican Council said “God destined the earth and all it contains for the use of _______”.
168. In which condition should you be in for the Sacrament of Extreme Unction to be given?
169. What is the flat round piece of unleavened bread used as Eucharistic Bread?
171. There are many popes buried in St. Peter’s basilica. That being said, what is unusual about the coffin of Pope John XXIII?
172. How many days did Jesus remain on earth after his resurrection?
173. What is the part of the Mass where Catholics believe that the bread and wine become the body and blood of Christ?
174. According to the Gospels, every Passover, the Roman Governor offered to release a prisoner. Name the criminal who the crowd called to be freed in preference to Jesus.
175. What is the third Commandment practiced by the Catholic Church?
176. What does ‘Apostle’ mean?
177. What is Papal infallibility?
178. The Feast of the Sacred Heart is celebrated when?
179. What is the proper way to address a Cardinal?
180. What is something that resulted from Vatican II?
181. What Catholic religious order did Martin Luther belong to before he broke from the church?
182. If you die in the state of a mortal sin, where do Catholics believe that you go?
183. What does ‘catholic’ mean?
184. What is the name of the canopy that is built over the top of many pulpits in larger and older churches?
185. What is the sixth station of the cross?
186. Which is the social virtue that inclines man to conduct himself agreeably and properly in his dealings with other members of society?
187. A book of prayers used during the Mass is called?
188. What is the part of the Mass wherein the consecrated host is distributed to the people?
189. On the cross, Jesus cried out ‘Lama sabachthani’. What can this be translated as?
190. When Moses received the Commandments from God, what were they written on?
191. The candle that burns 24 hours a day by the tabernacle, to remind Catholics of Jesus’ True Presence in the Eucharist, is known as what?
192. John Paul II also says that “the aesthetic value of creation cannot be overlooked”. What does the word “aesthetic” mean?
193. The stiff, square piece of card, usually covered with white cloth, used to cover the Chalice to prevent things from falling into it is called what?
194. A square piece of cloth that the priest places beneath the chalice and bread during Mass to collect crumbs or spills.
195. When do Catholics believe the sacrament relating to the Body and Blood of Christ was instituted?
196. What was the name of Mary’s cousin who got pregnant at an old age and was pregnant with John The Baptist?
197. When do Roman Catholics celebrate Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem?
198. Name the servant whose ear Peter cut off during Jesus’ arrest.
199. Which sacrament is to do with the joining of a man and woman in wedlock?
200. The black clerical gowns that priests wear are known as what?
201. The virtue that inclines man to acknowledge and to make recompense for particular and private favors received is:
202. The word ‘Kephas'(which is Aramaic) means what?
203. This is the first of the set of Luminous Mysteries of the Holy Rosary. What event is it?
204. What does the church require during the Holy Days of Obligation?
205. According to the numbering of the Catholic Church, what is commanded by the second Commandment of God?
206. John Paul II continues that “Today the ecological crisis has assumed such proportions as to be the responsibility of ______”. Please fill in the missing word(s).
207. Who elects a new Pope?
208. Jesus now (the eighth station of the Cross) meets people mourning for Him. Who are these people?
209. How many decades, or sets of ten beads, are there in an ordinary rosary?
210. At the end of “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” there are twelve drummers drumming. What is the significance of “twelve” in this context?
211. Part of the family group worship carried out every night at home during my childhood, was the recitation of what?
212. According to Luke’s Gospel, which two rivals of authority became friends during Jesus’ trial?
213. The Council of Constance ended which major controversy within the Church?
214. The plate in which the host is placed on is known as what?
215. It is the time of the year when Catholics wait for the coming of Jesus. What is it?
216. When the priest says, at the Latin Mass, “Dominus Vobiscum”, the correct response would be what?
217. According to the Catholic Church, which is the Fourth Commandment?
218. Who generally serves as the head of a Diocese?
219. The election of a Pope is called a what?
220. What is the name of the state of perfect natural happiness that some believe is where the souls of righteous non-Christians and unbaptized babies go after death? Note: this is an unofficial doctrine of the church.
221. A book that contains all the scripture readings, including the Gospels.
222. Caiaphas’ father-in-law also interrogated Jesus. What was his name?
223. How old was Jesus when he became ‘lost’ and was found at the Temple talking to priests and doctors answering and asking wise questions?
224. Of the traditional three penances that Catholics practice throughout Lent, which of the following is not considered one of the three? Praying, Giving Alms, Fasting, Attendance of Mass Daily
225. Which office did Caiaphas hold during the time of Jesus’ crucifixion?
226. “Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus” translates as
227. The benches that people sit in during Mass are known as what?
228. What is the term for the belief that God created the universe from nothing?
229. The holiest part of the Mass is the what?
230. The eleventh station describes how the soldiers placed Jesus on the cross. What most barbaric of means was used to attach His hands to the cross?
231. What is the upper limit on age for a cardinal to be eligible to vote in the process of electing the pope?
232. The site on Calvary Hill where Jesus was crucified was known as Golgotha, meaning Place of the What?
233. How often does the Catholic Church say you MUST go to Confession?
234. What is the definition of sacramental?
235. According to canon law, it is required for Catholics to attend church when?
236. What are the square-shaped hats that are black for priests, purple for bishops, and red for cardinals called?
237. When the children of the Vision of Fatima were beatified by Pope John Paul II they became the youngest to receive that accolade. Prior to them, who was the youngest Catholic to be beatified?
238. On the evening of Jesus’ crucifixion, a rich man from Arimathea prepared the body for burial. What was his name?
239. Who said: “Behold the handmaid of the Lord. Be it done unto me according to Your Will”?
240. Along with being the Vicar of Christ on earth, the Pope is also the Bishop of his own Diocese. What Diocese is this?
241. Liturgically and Biblically, what is the most important Christian holiday, which is described in every Gospel?
242. The twelfth station is “Jesus dies on the cross”. Which words are recorded in the Bible as spoken by Jesus just before He died?
243. According to the Roman Catholic church, what is a venial sin?
244. Holy Thursday, the Day of the Last Supper, is popularly known in Britain as what Thursday?
245. What is the fourteenth station?
246. To Catholics, to whom does the Immaculate Conception refer?
247. In the Roman Catholic tradition, which is the only calendar day of the year on which Mass may not be celebrated?
248. The season before Christmas is called what?
249. In what year did Martin Luther start the Protestant Reformation?
250. In the Catholic Church, baptism normally occurs when?
251. According to the Catholic Faith, is Jesus fully human or fully divine?
252. In the Catholic Church, how is a Sacrament related to God’s grace?
253. According to Catholic teaching, which of the following is not God? The Father, The Holy Spirit, The Son, and The Virgin Mary
254. What is the date of the Assumption of Mary?
255. In what city did Jesus perform his first miracle, turning water into wine?
256. Why do Catholics call some sins “capital sins”?
257. What is sacrilege?
258. According to Catholic tradition, where was St Joseph, the Foster Father of Jesus, throughout the events of the crucifixion?
259. The Catholic Church particularly encourages meditation on the Stations of the Cross at a certain time of year. What time of year is it?
260. What does Corpus Christi mean?
261. The four evangelists used three different Greek words in referring to the miracles of Christ: Teras, Dynamis, and Semeion. What does Semeion mean?
262. According to the Catholic Church, is damaging someone’s property a sin of omission or commission?
263. Who was the adoptive father of Jesus, the husband of his mother?
264. Catholics have faced much discrimination in the United States. However, when the first Catholic president of the U.S. was elected, anti-Catholic attitudes decreased. What was this president’s name?
265. What do Catholics call the Judgment which we will receive immediately after death?
266. What quality of the Church means that the Church will last until the end of time?
267. Are the stations of the cross ever an obligation for Catholics to attend or perform?
268. Where was Saint John the Baptist while all these events leading to the crucifixion were going on in Jerusalem?
269. The cup in which the Precious Blood is served is known as what?
270. Whom did Jesus raise from the dead?
271. Which of the following is not a sacrament of initiation in the Catholic Church? Holy Eucharist, Baptism, Penance, Confirmation
272. Where does the Pope live?
273. Why Did Adam Eat the Apple?
274. If Adam and Eve Didn’t Sin, Would Jesus Still Die?
bg_collapse view=”button-orange” color=”#4a4949″ expand_text=”Show More” collapse_text=”Show Less” ]No, Jesus died because of our sins[/bg_collapse]
275. Did Mary the mother of Jesus Christ, have other children after Jesus?
276. Who committed the first murder in the Bible?
277. What did God do on the 7th day of creation?
278. Which disciple betrayed Jesus for money?
279. Who parted the Red Sea?
bg_collapse view=”button-orange” color=”#4a4949″ expand_text=”Show More” collapse_text=”Show Less” ]Moses[/bg_collapse]
280. Who’s wife turned into a pillar of salt?
281. Pope John Paul II instituted a new set of mysteries to the Rosary called the ______Mysteries. It is suggested by the Church to say these mysteries on _______ .
282. The 3rd Glorious Mystery of the Rosary is the ________.
bg_collapse view=”button-orange” color=”#4a4949″ expand_text=”Show More” collapse_text=”Show Less” ]Descent of the Holy Spirit[/bg_collapse]
283. Saul saw Jesus as a bright light on his way to?
284. The first Christian in the New Testament, as well as the first evangelist, was?
285. Paul describes Jesus as the new?
286. The Ark of the Covenant contained three items, according to Paul, including?
287. Which are the 3 righteous people mentioned in the Book of Luke?
288. According to the Bible, who is the prince of the air
289. Adam and Eve’s third son was named/
290. Jesus is a priest forever, in the order of?
291. True or False–The Catholic Church added the 7 books of the “apocrypha” to the Bible after the Protestant Reformation.
292. The Liturgy of the Hours draws mainly from the Biblical book of ?
293. Who was completely forgiven for his sin by God, but still had to endure the death of his child as punishment?
294. Who told Mary that a sword would pierce her heart?
295. What does Bethlehem mean?
296. Which chapter in the book of Psalms foretells the crucifixion of Jesus and that lots would be cast for his clothes.
297. What does the name “Maccabee” mean in English?
298. The Feast of the Re-dedication of this temple, attended by Jesus in John 10, is known today as?
299. Which King, a biblical type of the antichrist, in 2 Maccabees desecrated the Jewish temple?
300. According to 2 Maccabees, who buried the Ark of the Covenant containing the 10 Commandments in a cave on or near Mount?