What’s your favorite time/holiday of the year? Some people love Easter, others love making merry and spending ample time with friends and family during Christmas, some love the new year holiday and are psyched up by the intentions they’ve set out for the year. There are so many holidays, each with its unique set of activities, and they are all special to us individually.
Carving pumpkins, planning costumes for both kids and adults, planning party games, buying candy, and watching scary movies, are activities that are associated with one of the most popular holidays in the United States, Halloween. This frighteningly fun holiday isn’t just a favorite for kids, but adults get to enjoy it as well.
Halloween Trivia Questions and Answers
Halloween is celebrated on October 31st and includes a few odd and scary traditions. If you have participated in this holiday, then you can attest that it is such a fun-filled holiday. Besides having participated in it, how much do you know about this holiday, its origin, cultures, and its rich history?
There’s a lot of fascinating things to learn about Halloween, and what better way to learn than through trivia questions in the company of friends and family? From its origin, common songs, some amazing facts to some of the most popular traditions that are tied to it, these questions will put you to the test and have you showcasing your prowess the next holiday.
Go get your pumpkin costume, let’s get rolling, and see whether you’ll be crowned the Halloween King or Queen.
1. In which country did Halloween originate?
2. Where does the term “jack o’lantern” come from?
3. Which Catholic Church holiday is Halloween linked to?
4. Before jack-o’lanterns were carved as pumpkins, what other root vegetable was commonly used?
5. Where is the world’s longest haunted house?
6. What was the name of Dracula’s sidekick?
7. Halloween can be traced back to a Celtic holiday. What’s the name of that holiday?
8. Which film in the Paranormal Activity franchise was the most commercially successful?
9. From which words did ‘bonfire’ originate?
10. What century was Halloween first introduced?
11. Why did women look in mirrors while walking downstairs at midnight on Halloween?
12. What does the name Dracula mean?
13. How did the tradition of dressing up for Halloween start?
14. What sort of mask does Michael Myers wear in the original Halloween?
15. What was Dracula’s real name?
16. Where did the game of apple bobbing originate?
17. How many pounds of candy corn are produced each year?
18. Who was the first actor to play Wolf Man?
19. On Halloween during the 18th century, why would women throw apple peels over their shoulders?
20. What vegetable is part of a tradition on the night before Halloween?
21. Which phobia means you have an intense fear of Halloween?
22. Who brought the Halloween tradition to the United States?
23. How much did Americans spend on Halloween in 2019?
24. Every Halloween, Charlie Brown helps his friend Linus wait for what character to appear?
25. Which Roman goddess is thought to be honored on Halloween?
26. What was the original title for Disney’s Hocus Pocus?
27. According to superstition, if you stare into a mirror at midnight on Halloween, what will you see?
28. What is another name for Halloween, Oct. 31?
29. Only one holiday surpasses Halloween in annual consumer sales. What is it?
30. From which region in the world do pumpkins originate?
31. What is another name for the day after Halloween, Nov. 1?
32. When was Trick or Treat for UNICEF founded?
33. Who wrote the novel Frankenstein?
34. What are the Halloween colors?
35. What was candy corn originally called?
36. Transylvania is a region in which country?
37. Who was the first lady to decorate the White House for Halloween?
38. Which actor played Dr. Frank-n-Furter in The Rocky Horror Picture Show?
39. What was Bram Stoker’s original name for Dracula?
40. What did Scottish women hang to see their future husbands on Halloween?
41. Is a pumpkin a fruit or a vegetable?
42. When is the next time there will be a full moon on Halloween?
43. Who was the first First Lady to decorate the White House for Halloween?
44. What is the significance of seeing a spider on Halloween?
45. What is the name of Ireland’s traditional Halloween bread?
46. What famous magician died on Halloween?
47. Which country celebrates the Day of the Dead starting at midnight on Oct. 31?
48. Which state produces the most pumpkins?
49. Why do some people wear clothes inside out on Halloween?
50. According to superstition, a person born on Halloween has what particular ability?
51. Where in the United States can you traditionally find the biggest Halloween parade?
52. Why did some women throw apple peels behind them on Halloween?
53. Halloween is the second most commercial holiday in the United States. Which holiday is #1?
54. When is Halloween thought to have originated?
55. Who directed The Nightmare before Christmas?
56. When was “Monster Mash” first recorded?
57. What Celtic tradition led to modern-day trick-or-treating?
58. Which vampire said, “Don’t be afraid. I’m going to give you the choice I never had.”
59. Who are the guests of the Halloween party, according to the lyrics of “Monster Mash”?
60. What is Hong Kong’s Festival of Hungry Ghosts called?
61. How many people were hanged during the Salem Witch Trials?
62. Where did real mummies originate?
63. Who is said to haunt the White House Rose Garden?
64. Which story originated the Headless Horseman?
65. When was Halloween first celebrated in the United States?
66. Pumpkins can be orange, white, green, or what other color?
67. Which ancient city houses the mummy in the iconic horror movie ‘The Mummy’ (1999)?
68. Where was the first city-wide Halloween celebration in the United States?
69. In The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, how many people are killed with a chainsaw?
70. Michael Myers’ mask on Halloween was that of a famous actor. Which one?
71. What is the most commercially successful horror movie of all time?
72. What’s the body count for the film Halloween?
73. How many Michael Myers movies are there?
74. Who sang the original “Monster Mash?”
75. Which year was the movie Freaks made?
76. Which actor turned down the role of Max Dennison in Hocus Pocus?
77. What was The Munsters’ address?
78. In the original Alien film, how many alien eggs were made for the egg chamber inside the downed spacecraft?
79. Which famous boy band used the mansion from Casper for one of their music videos?
80. What candy was given to soldiers in battle in the Korean War?
81. How many Oscars was Psycho nominated for?
82. What year did Halloweentown premiere on Disney Channel?
83. What is the most commercially successful horror franchise of all time?
84. Complete this lyric from the hit Halloween song The Monster Mash: “I was working in the lab, late one night…”
85. Where was Halloweentown filmed?
86. What was the original Halloween movie‘s working title?
87. Who wrote the classic novel Dracula?
88. Who did Tim Burton want to play Betelgeuse in Beetlejuice?
89. How many calories are in an average trick-or-treater’s Halloween stash?
90. What’s the color order of a piece of candy corn, from the base to the point?
91. What was Beetlejuice almost called?
92. What classic horror movie creature’s shape was based on the Oscar statuette?
93. What do people in New England call the night before Halloween?
94. Which TV network airs the 31 Nights of Halloween?
95. What item is banned in California on Halloween?
96. Halloween was first celebrated by which ancient priests?
97. What colors are Freddy Krueger’s shirt in A Nightmare on Elm Street?
98. What two countries popularized Halloween costumes for trick-or-treating?
99. Which Ghostbusters actor also co-wrote the screenplay for the movie?
100. Many people in Mexico celebrate Halloween by eating what ghoulish candy treat?
101. How long did it take to put on Freddy Krueger’s makeup in A Nightmare on Elm Street?
102. How many pieces of candy does the average house give to each trick-or-treater?
103. When do vampires sleep?
104. How many takes did it take to get the puking scene right in The Exorcist?
105. What horror movie was the first American film ever to show a toilet on screen?
110. What classic horror film features the quote, “They’re coming to get you, Barbara”?
111. What is the most popular Halloween candy in America?
112. In what American state is it illegal to be a priest or nun for Halloween?
113. Which horror movie icon has the highest on-screen body count?
114. About how much money does the United States spend on Halloween candy annually?
115. One particular serial killer inspired Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho and Silence of the Lambs. Who was it?
116. In the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, what is the name of Leatherface’s family?
117. Which horror movie was shot entirely on a video camera like a documentary?
118. What was the first horror movie to be nominated for an Academy Award?
119. What is the first name of Dr. Frankenstein?
120. What two candy bars were the first to come in fun size?
121. Who was Wes Craven’s first choice to play Freddy Krueger in A Nightmare on Elm Street?
122. What costume does Lindsay Lohan’s character wear to the Halloween party in the movie Mean Girls?
123. In which decade did the term “trick-or-treat” originate in the United States?
124. Who directed the animated Halloween classic The Nightmare Before Christmas?
125. How does Dum-Dums make the mystery flavor lollipop?
126. What does the word ‘Hallow’ in relation to this holiday mean?
127. What is the least popular Halloween candy?
128. How do pumpkins grow?
129. On average, how many cups of sugar from Halloween candy do kids consume each year?
130. Is a pumpkin a fruit or vegetable?
131. How far in advance does Hershey’s start production on Halloween candy?
132. What do Halloween colors, black and orange, signify? Orange stands for harvest, and black signifies death.
133. What day is National Candy Corn Day?
134. What do people “bob” for on Halloween?
135. How many pounds of chocolate are sold during Halloween week?
136. In Halloween II, when Michael first enters the elderly couple’s home, what movie is playing on their TV?
137. Why is the jack-o’-lantern associated with Halloween?
138. In the franchise, what is Michael Myers’ middle name?
139. What is a “pagan” holiday?
140. In the first installment of the franchise, we see Michael kill his sister Judith. Who does Jamie stab in Halloween 4 and 5?
141. The day before Halloween is known as what?
142. Of all the Halloween movies, one does not feature Michael. Which one is it?
143. The word Halloween comes from which Old English words?
144. What do they call Halloween in Spain?
145. What job does Mr. Strode do?
146. What type of demon, originating from Arab mythology supposedly robs graveyards and feeds on human beings?
147. In which Halloween movie does Dr. Sam Loomis appear last?
148. Which two colors are traditionally associated with Halloween?
149. How many of the Halloween movies did John Carpenter, the author of the series, direct?
150. ‘Guising’ is the Scottish and Irish equivalent of which Halloween tradition?
151. Which immigrants came to America and thought that Pumpkins were easy to carve on Halloween than potatoes?
152. Who was the first actor to be credited as Michael Myers (as an adult)?
153. What should a person wear to trick evil spirits during Halloween?
154. The night before Halloween was what for the New Englanders?
155. How many children did Laurie Strode have?
156. What is a male witch called?
157. Which American city observes the largest Halloween Parade in the United States?
158. In the second movie, how many times does Dr. Loomis shoot Michael?
159. The round orange pumpkins that are used for most jack o’ lanterns today are native to what continent?
160. Where did bobbing for apples originate?
161. How did the prop department make the classic Michael Myers mask?
162. By what name is midnight also known?
163. Celtics were superstitious. Is the statement true or False?
164. Which Halloween movie features an evil plot by a mask-making company called Silver Shamrock – and notably doesn’t include the character of Michael Myers?
165. What is the title of a witch’s pet cat or toad?
166. How many American states produce a major amount of pumpkins?
167. At the start of the first film, Michael kills which family member?
168. Shakespeare’s three witches from Macbeth were also known as . . . what?
169. The original costumes of Halloween were made of which material?
170. Paid $20,000 for just five days of work, what is the name of the actor who portrayed Dr. Loomis?
171. What is the other, traditional name for a broomstick?
172. How many people participate in the Halloween parade of New York City?
173. In Halloween 4, a widely-loved scene by fans depicts Kelly Meeker getting stabbed with what type of weapon?
174. Where do real vampire bats live?
175. Which American city holds the record for the most Jack O’Lanterns lit at once?
176. In the hit Halloween movie Addams Family, what was the name of Morticia and Gomez Addams’ daughter?
177. On Halloween, one of the two main meetings of witches is known as?
178. In the first film, what is the name of Laurie’s best friend, who babysits for the couple across the street in a famous scene?
179. What did hearing owls on Halloween mean in Medieval Europe?
180. Which year was the movie Freaks released?
181. What are the other names of Halloween?
182. What is the traditional role of Black Cats in Halloween and Occult Lore?
183. The blockbuster “Halloween” was made in how many days?
184. Among other things, young trick-or-treaters often find razor blades in apples and pins in candy bars in their Halloween loot. True or False?
185. How many days did it take to film the blockbuster “Halloween” movie?
186. In 2014, who grew up the heaviest pumpkin in Switzerland?
187. What is the number one city for trick or treating in the United States?
188. The black cat superstition was started by?
189. Approximately, what percent of kids prefer gums instead of chocolate candies on Halloween?
190. Apart from sucking human blood, what do vampires and bats have in common?
191. What do you call the ancient mythical creatures who defy death by sucking the blood of humans, and is one of the most popular scary characters on Halloween?
192. Who holds the record for the world’s fastest pumpkin carving time?
193. How much is spent on pet costumes for Halloween annually?
194. When was Count Dracula Founded?
195. In 1921, which American city firstly celebrated Halloween on a larger basis?
196. What type of vegetable is disliked by vampires and is used to frighten them away?
197. Who plays the role of Hannibal Lecter in the modern TV adaptation of the classic horror film?
198. What does Hong kong’s Lue Yan mean?
199. What color cat is a symbol of Halloween?
200. Which of the following is NOT a term for a scarecrow? Hodmedod, Murmet, Doodle sack, Hay-man, Gallybagger, Tattie Bogal, Mommet, Mawkin, Bwbach.
201. Transylvania is a region of which country?
202. True or false: The word ‘hallow’ means saint or holy person?
203. In what century did the tradition of trick or treating begin?
204. What’s the most popular candy for Halloween?
205. What mammal is able to fly and is associated with Halloween?
206. In “It’s the Great Pumpkin” by Charlie Brown, who does Linus mistake for the Great Pumpkin?
207. The record for the world’s fastest pumpkin carving is of how many seconds?
208. What Halloween radio drama caused a mass panic on October 30, 1938?
209. After which war, advertisers marketed candy corn as a special treat for Halloween?
210. True or false: Halloween is the Eve of All Saints Day?
211. How many colors of M&Ms are there in a normal bag?
212. Who played Jonathan Harker in Francis Ford Coppola’s version of Dracula?
213. What word begins with the letter C, looks like a pot, and is normally used by witches to brew their potions and cast evil spells?
214. What was the first wrapped penny candy in America?
215. Valentine’s Day tops the candy sales. True or false?
216. What bone, found in the head, is often used as a symbol of Halloween?
217. What do you sprinkle on your doorstep if you want to keep evil spirits out of your house on Halloween night?
218. Who wrote the mystery novel (Halloween Party)?
219. Try and unscramble the following word: BINLOG in order to reveal an ugly, short, green creature that is usually dangerous to humans?
220. What ghost did British Prime Minister Winston Churchill reportedly see in the White House?
221. Which year Universal picture released the first feature-length (Werewolf of London)?
222. Complete the following chant, normally said by witches: double, double, toil, and …?
223. How many children have been harmed or injured by poisoned or manipulated candy given to them by strangers on Halloween?
224. For how many years, Halloween has been around?
225. What do witches use to ride in order to get around town?
226. If Halloween is the day with the third-highest amount of parties held in the USA, what two other days hold the top two spots?
227. According to the National Retail Federation, what percentage of Americans celebrated Halloween in 2015?
228. How many licks does it take, on average, to reach the center of a Tootsie Pop?
229. Which country celebrates Teng Chieh festival with Halloween?
230. In which year did the annual New York Halloween Parade begin?
231. How many colors of M&Ms are there?
232. Halloween is a public holiday. True or false?
233. If a bell is rung on Halloween, it will frighten what?
234. What fruit is carved up on Halloween and placed outside for children to see, and what color is it?
235. Halloween is also a festival of matchmaking for many women. Is that true or false?
236. What color is usually used to portray ghosts and the full moon in the festival of Halloween?
237. Instead of candy, what did kids originally receive when trick or treating?
238. Name the Halloween Parade of NYC?
239. If a person’s candle flame goes off on the night of Halloween, it indicates that the person is with what?
240. The average kid consumes how many calories on Halloween night?
241. The word “Witch has derived from which term?
242. A three-day celebration triduum that involves; Halloween, All Saints Day, and All Souls Day can be referred to as?
243. What creatures can a vampire turn into?
244. What is the abbreviation for Halloween?
245. How many times does a bat have to fly around a person’s house for death to be considered approaching?
246. What did Cousin It from the Adams Family look like?
247. Which newspaper in Canada firstly used the phrase of Trick or Treat for the children?
248. On Halloween night, a single woman will dream about her future husband if she kept what two things beneath her pillow?
249. Where can you find mummies?
250. A group of witches is called?
251. In Halloween, the walking dead can be called?
252. Immigrants from Europe originally celebrated Halloween around what?
253. What does a blue-colored pumpkin signify on Halloween?
254. What was the original name of candy corn?
255. For bobbling apples and nuts date, what are the two other names for Halloween?
256. Which iconic scary movie features Quentin Tarantino and George Clooney as murderous brothers?
257. Name the Halloween fixture, which symbolizes the harvesting roots of the festival?
258. When were Hallowe’en greetings cards first made?
259. Which horror movie had Kirsten Dunst play a young vampire?
260. Who wrote the novel called “The Witching Hour”?
261. When did the first known trick-or-treating in print in North America occur?
262. Name Anne Rice’s famous blond, French vampire.
263. In Celtic tradition, what are the cakes call, which the beggars received from the homes and pray for their dead ones?
264. Apart from a cauldron, what other magical tools might a witch use?
265. Halloween is a result of the influence of which Roman festival?
266. Where were witches believed to fly to on their broomsticks, on Hallowe’en?
267. In which country Trick or treat is a common practice on Halloween?
268. Ghoulies and ghosties and … go bump in the night?
269. Which American city of Illinois banned teenagers from trick or treating in 2010?
270. Name the famous ghost of Great Windsor Park, who’s most often seen riding through the grounds on Hallowe‘en?
271. Name the boy who ate a heroine laced candy in the Halloween of 1970?
272. Which magical characters must be appeased with offerings of biscuits and a saucer of milk?
273. Which year was the idea of trunk or treat born?
274. Is a banshee likely to sing, hum, scream or whistle?
275. What was the most popular costume for pets in 2015?
276. Why is it dangerous to step into a fairy ring formed of mushrooms?
277. What was the second most popular costume for pets in 2015?
278. If you’re ever invited inside a fairy mound, what must you never do?
279. In 2017, which costumes top the list?
280. In 2015, what was the most popular costume for adults?
281. What is the day after Hallowe’en called?
282. Who wrote (A Dracula Handbook)?
283. During Salem Witch Trials How Many People Were Hanged?
284. How Many Americans Celebrate Halloween By Decorating Their Houses?
285. Which Ailment Did People Believe Could Be Cured By Pumpkins?
286. How Do Mexicans Celebrate Halloween?
287. What Does The Word La Chupacabra Mean?
288. What Monster Is Said To Terrorize The People Of Africa?
289. What Is The Number 1 City In US For Trick-Or-Treating?
290. When Did The Word “Vampire” First Appear In English?
291. What Monster Is Pictured On The Flag Of Sicily?
292. On Halloween Of 1984, Who Was Assassinated By Her Security Guards?
293. What Halloween Treat Is Made Using Butter, Molasses, And Sugar?
294. Where does the story of ‘Scream 2’ take place?
295. The 1735 Scottish Witchcraft Act Banned The Consumption Of What?
296. Approximately How Old Is Halloween?
297. In The Movie Hocus Pocus, What Song Do The Sisters Sing At The Halloween Party?
298. Warren Zevon Sang About The Werewolves Of Which City?
299. Who Wrote And Performed “The Purple People Eater”?
300. David Allan Coe’s Song “The Ride” Refers To The Ghost Of Which Country Singer?