Did you know that India used to be an Island more than 100 million years ago? We know you’re wondering how it could have been an Island, while it is now the second most populated country in the world. That’s an amazing geographical fact there! Well, about 50 million years ago, India collided with the Asian continent and the Himalayas came into existence. Fascinating, right?
With over a billion people of different ethnicities and religions, India is home to colorful festivals, diverse landscapes not to forget their spicy hot cuisines and other food ideas that are enough reasons for you to pack your bags and leave for Varanasi or Mumbai.
India Facts Trivia Questions and Answers
There are so many fascinating things about India that make most people want to visit it and while at it capture some good memories. Did you know that India is the only country with a bill of rights for cows? Actually, if you’re a foodie who loves your hamburgers, you’ll need to get another favorite because killing a cow is a crime. Talking of animals, they really do live the best of their lives, there is a spa for elephants, where they receive baths, a relaxing massage, and food! Wow, you low-key want to be an elephant there, huh? We do too!
Are your afternoons a little boring, and you don’t feel like watching a popular movie or listening to some music? Why not try out these fun trivia questions and see how much you’d score? You can do it solo or gather your friends and family, which will make it even more fun.
Whether you have visited India before or you’re just interested in learning everything about it from its population, animals, food, culture, music, among many others, then these trivia questions will definitely come in handy.
Here, take a look at the wettest inhabited place on earth!
1. The real Bengal Tiger is the national animal of India. Why does it have orange and black stripes?
2. What was India’s population, as of 1 March 2011?
3. What is the famous Indian drink “Lassi” made of?
4. Jaipur is the capital of the state of Rajasthan and is known as?
5. Which is India’s largest city by population?
6. What is usually combined with “Sarson Ka saag” (Mustard leaves recipe) in a traditional north Indian household during winters?
7. What is the primary diet of the sloth bear?
8. What is the number of State and Union Territories in India?
9. What is the name of the white food component which most Indians love to eat, and vegetarians eat it for protein intake?
11. What is the population density of India?
12. Which of the following is not Indian bread? Challah, Roti, Poori
13. What is the national bird of India?
14. What is India’s total area?
15. What is the clay oven used to cook tandoori food know as?
16. What is the only ape found in India?
17. What is the sex ratio of India according to the 2011 census?
18. Name the famous food cooked in “Saawan” in India?
19. In Hinduism, many deities have vahanas, animal vehicles. Which deity is often depicted with a tiger or lion as their vehicle?
20. What is the National Motto of India?
21. What type of meat do Indian Muslims never eat?
22. What is the National Anthem of India?
23. Why was the Taj Mahal constructed?
24. What is the traditional Indian puffy snack served with hot tea during rains, filled with vegetables and deep-fried?
25. On a drive through Kaziranga National Park along the banks of Brahmaputra River which endangered animal would you not see?
26. What is the National Song of India?
27. Name the North East Indian State specialty made of fish, vegetables, and bamboo shoots and requires fermentation?
28. India has the largest population of tigers in the world, true or false?
29. What is the name of India’s National Aquatic Animal?
30. In southern India, people mostly eat with?
31. What is the most common deer species found in Kanha National Park?
32. In which century did Portuguese merchants first land in Goa?
33. Which Indian animal is the largest bovine in the world?
34. Who designed the Indian Parliament in New Delhi?
35. How many books are there to learn in the basic stages of learning music?
36. Which monument was built to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary to Bombay?
37. Which Indian actor makes a cameo appearance in the original music video of Adnan Sami’s “Lift Karade” song?
38. The title track of the 2000 film “Kya Kehna” was directly lifted from the popular song “Oh Carol”. Which well-known singer co-wrote and sang the original tune?
39. Which monument was built by Mohammed Quli Qutab Shah in 1591 to commemorate the end of Plague?
40. What is the tune of the song “Lift Karade” called?
41. Who was the composer of “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai”?
42. When do Indians celebrate Hindi Divas?
43. Teen Tal is metered under how many beats?
44. Who composed the music for Mohabbatein?
45. Which state has the highest literacy rate?
46. “Jaise gadhi ke gihra se, Waqt kahin pe gira ho, Jaise roshni subah se, Ho jaaye judaa…” Which song are these lyrics part of?
47. What was the code name of the first nuclear tests conducted by India in on 18 May 1974, in Pokhran, Rajasthan?
48. Strings :- a band which almost become a household name in India with hits like “Duur” and “Anjane Kyon” is a band from which country?
49. Lata Mangeshkar is considered the doyenne of Hindi film music. But she has not sung a single song for one particular music director, do you know his name?
50. Which state is known as India’s Spice Garden?
51. Movie music in India is made for the Indian movie industry. What is the Indian movie industry called?
52. What movie is the song ‘Kajra Re’ from?
53. On which riverbank is Goa located?
54. The world-famous Kishanji Maharaj belongs to which Gharana (school) of Tabla playing?
55. The soundtrack of “Maine Pyaar Kiya” (1989) was a huge hit. The tune of one of the popular songs in the album, ‘Aate Jaate’, was directly lifted from the English song ‘I Just Called To Say I Love You’. Name the singer.
56. Which State in India is the largest producer of Soyabean?
57. Leslie Lewis and Hariharan came together to form which music band?
58. The first song, “Chali Aayee”, is sung by whom?
59. India won its first Olympic hockey gold in?
60. Garba is a dance that goes along with some types of Indian music. It often consists of partners dancing together with sticks and is popular at traditional weddings. What state in India did Garba originate from?
61. Which iconic British rock band recorded the hit “We Will Rock You” which was blatantly ripped off to produce the “We Love – We Love Rocky” song from the movie “Aflatoon”?
62. On which spacecraft did Rakesh Sharma make his historic trip to Space?
63. How many MelaKartha Ragas are there?
64. Who was the album’s lyricist?
65. Who was the backup crew for Rakesh Sharma, the first Indian in space?
66. It is said that Tabla was invented accidentally during a stage performance by an artist. Name the instrument from which Tabla was believed to be invented.
67. Who penned the lyrics to the songs from “Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge”?
68. Which is India’s first artificial satellite?
69. Shankar Mahadevan teamed up with which famous Indian Poet for the album “Breathless”
70. Before the song ‘Ankhein Khuli’, Shahrukh says a part of the song. What does he sing?
71. IRS series satellites are used for?
72. What is the Arohanam of Ragam Dhanysi?
73. Which song are these lyrics a part of? “Jis pal na chaha tujhko, Uss pal sazayein maangi, Paya hai maine phir tujhe”.
74. Which was the first University established in India?
75. What is the name of the all-girl pop band that was created by Indian music station Channel V via a nationwide talent search?
76. One of the films that revolutionized Hindi film music was ‘Teesri Manzil’. This film marked the first big hit of a great music director, can you name him?
77. The first IIT established in 1951 was known as?
78. How many sounds does Tabla produce?
79. ‘Where’s the Party Tonight’, ‘Rock and Roll Soniye’, and ‘Mitwa’ are songs from what popular movie?
80. Which is the biggest District in India?
81. Who dedicated the evergreen song “Jaanam Samjha Karo” to Pancham Da(R.D.Burman)?
82. ‘Pal Pal’ from one of 2006’s biggest hits, “Lage Raho Munnabhai”, is a rehash of an old English song ‘Theme For A Dream’. Which singer sang the original song?
83. Which is the smallest District in India?
84. What material is the Indian flute made of?
85. On which label was the soundtrack “Pal Pal” released?
86. Arundhati Roy was the first Indian to win a Man Booker Prize. Which book was it?
87. What is the name of the first Varnam?
88. When was the soundtrack “Pal Pal” released?
89. Which is the largest freshwater lake in India?
90. What material is used to make right-hander Tabla, the smaller drum?
91. What was the music label for “Pal Pal?”
92. Which is the highest waterfall in India?
93. What is Apache Indian’s original name?
94. The films of Raj Kapoor were known for their super hit songs. One of the classic Raj Kapoor films was ‘Bobby’. Who was the music director of this film?
95. Which Wildlife Sanctuary was declared as First National Park in India?
96. Rashid Khan is a famous Indian classical musician. What kind of musician is he?
97. Though popular, the soundtrack of “Akele Hum Akele Tum”(1995) had as many as four of its five tracks copied from other English songs. The title track was copied from a 1959 number ‘But You Love Me Daddy’. Name the singer.
98. Which is the first Indian company listed on Nasdaq stock exchange?
99. What are the names of the parts in Adi Tala Varnams?
100. “Tumhe kaise main bataun, kya main paa gaya hoon, Tum jo mere saath ho, Mujhko duniya mil gayi hai, zindagi badal gayi hai Tum jo mere saath ho…” These are the lyrics to…?
101. Which agreement was signed at the end of the India-Pakistan war of 1971?
102. Musical instruments are of four kinds. Tabla is which type of instrument?
103. Who was the first Minister of Education to be awarded Bharat Ratna Award?
104. What kind of Indian music does Rashid Khan play?
105. One of the superstars of Bollywood was Rajesh Khanna. Who was the famous singer who was known as the voice of Rajesh Khanna?
106. Rabindranath Tagore (first non-European) won a noble prize in 1913 for which book?
107. Who is singer Saagarika’s famous brother?
108. Who is the music director of “Main Prem Ki Deewani Hoon”?
109. Gitanjali, written by Rabindranath Tagore is a collection of?
110. Which instrument does Zakir Hussain play?
111. The opening lines of the song “Neela Dupatta Peela Suit” from the movie “Hamesha” are obviously inspired by the hit song “They Don’t Really Care About Us”. Which ‘King of Pop’ recorded this song?
112. Project Tiger in India was started in the year?
113. How many Navagraha Dharu Varnams are there?
114. During the shooting of which song did actress Kajol fall from her bicycle?
115. Which state in India shares only one border with Indian state?
116. By popular belief, Tabla was invented in which province of India?
117. What was the music label of the soundtrack?
118. Which one is the longest river bridge over a single river in India?
119. “Purani Jeans” which till today is one of the most popular numbers amongst college students in India was sung by whom
120. “Tere dil ke ishaaron pe main chalta hoon, Teri khwaabon ki baharon mein main palta hoon, Tere dil se main hokey bina rokey bina tokey tere ishq ki raah nikalta hoon.” These are the lyrics to which song?
121. Who had delivered the longest ever speech in United Nations Security Council?
122. Where did the British first open their factories in the Eastern part of India?
123. Duet songs are a popular feature in Hindi film music. One of the greatest duet songs, featuring Raj Kapoor and Nargis was ‘Pyar Hua Ikrar Hua’. Who were the singers of this great song?
124. RBI was set up on the recommendation of which commission?
125. When the East India Company came into existence, England was ruled by?
126. Who starred in the song ‘You Are My Soniya’?
127. Famous environmentalist Sunderlal Bahuguna is associated with which movement?
128. In Bengal, the headquarters of East India Company was located at?
129. The title song of “Dil Deke Dekho”(1959) is a direct lift of ‘Sugartime’. Which group sang the original?
130. “Operation Flood” is a movement-related with which product?
131. When was Goa was captured by the Portuguese?
132. “Koi Nahin Tere Jaisa” from the movie “Keemat” was lifted from the American country song “Cotton-Eyed Joe”. The song received international popularity after it was covered by a band called Rednex. Which country did the band originate from?
133. Who is known as the father of the Indian Green Revolution?
134. The First Governor-General of Bengal was?
135. Which famous song sung by Udit Narayan and Lata Mangeshkar is from this music album?
136. The world’s first Granite Temple was build in India, which one was it?
137. The first Governor-General of India was?
138. The following lyrics are from which song? “Ab se koi khushi nahi, Jiski tum wajah nahi, Ab se koi din nahi, Jiski tum subah nahi, Ab se koi baat nahi, Jo tumse na hogi shuru, Ab se koi raah nahi, Jo tum sang main mudhoon.”
139. The value of “pi” was first calculated by which Indian mathematician?
140. Sati was declared illegal and punishable by?
141. ‘Mughal-E-Azam’ was one of the greatest films made in Bollywood, featuring many hit songs. Who was the music director of this film?
142. “The Musalman”, India’s only handwritten newspaper is published from?
143. The first session of the All India Congress held in Bombay in 1920, was presided over by?
144. The song ‘Salaam Namaste’ took place where?
145. The first Indian newspaper to offer an online edition on the internet was?
146. Who founded Ferguson College at Pune in 1885?
147. ‘Tera Mujhse Hai Pehle Ka Naata Koi’ features on the soundtrack of the movie “Aa Gale Lag Ja”(1973) in two versions. Both have been copied from the English number ‘The Yellow Rose of Texas’. Who sang this song in the 1963 movie “Viva Las Vegas”“?
148. Sanskrit is the official language of?
149. Which was the first English newspaper in India?
150. Which movies did Jatin-Lalit and Anand Bakshi work together on?
151. How many parvas are in the Mahabharat book?
152. Who wrote the book “Babuvivah”
153. “Saachi saachi teri nazrein ek darpan, Dede mann ki yeh khabrein ek pal chin, Adharon ne kuch na kaha re… Naino ne keh diya…” These are the lyrics to which Bollywood song?
154. How many kandas are in the Ramayan book?
155. Who first translated Bhagvad Gita to English?
156. What movie is the song ‘Ladki Kyon’ from?
157. In which year was the capital of India shifted from Calcutta to Delhi?
158. The first census in India was conducted at the time of?
159. The track ‘Jeena, Pyaar Se Jeena’ from the movie “Yeh Tera Ghar, Yeh Mera Ghar”(2002) has been blatantly copied from the popular song ‘Nina, Pretty Ballerina’. Name the band which sang the original.
160. Where is the largest shipyard in India located?
161. Who was the Viceroy of India when the Rowlatt Act was Passed?
162. “You Needed Me” was the inspiration behind the song “Suno Zara” from the movie “Bada Din”. Which Canadian singer won the Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for the original song?
163. Which state has the minimum total forest area covered in India?
164. Who introduced English as the official language in India?
165. How many singers lent their voices to the soundtrack “You Needed Me?”
166. Which Union Territory has the minimum total forest area covered in India?
167. Who was the founder of the Indian Association?
168. Which famous love song is showcased in the movie “Suno Zara”?
169. The Gulf of Mannar is situated along the coast of?
170. The first Indian leader to undergo imprisonment was?
171. “Aaja Aaja Dil Nichodhe, Raat Ki Matki Tode, Koi Good Luck Nikale, Aaj Gullak To Phodhe, Aaja Aaja Dil Nichodhe, Raat Ki Matki Tode, Koi Good Luck Nikale, Aaj Gullak To Phodhe.” These are the lyrics to which song?
172. Indian Standard Time(IST) refers to the local time of which city?
173. Who was the first Indian to used the word ‘Swarajya’
174. The song ‘Crazy Kiya Re’ is sung by what popular singer?
175. Which one is the oldest refinery in India?
176. All India Harijan Sangha was established by Mahtama Gandhi in the year?
177. “Kahin Pyaar Na Ho Jaaye” released in 2000 sank without a trace at the box office. The most popular song on its soundtrack ‘O Priya O Priya’ is lifted from ‘Maria Maria’, which was Number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for ten weeks. Name the artist who composed this song.
178. Which state is the largest producer of rice in India?
179. In which place did Satyagraha first started by Mahatma Gandhi?
180. “Doli mein bitha ke, Sitaro se sajake, Zamane se churake, Lejayega ek roj tera udke jiya…” These lyrics are from which song?
181. Which state is the largest producer of cotton in India?
182. Who was the first to address Mahtma Gandhi as the “Father of Nation”
183. Where is India’s first Defence University located?
184. Dandi March began on which date?
185. In which state is the Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development located?
186. Which farm was established by Mahatma Gandhi in Natal, South Africa?
187. Which one is the oldest mountain range in India?
188. Who is considered the chief architect of Tajmahal?
189. Which one is the highest mountain peak in India?
190. What is the number of years required to build Tajmahal?
191. Which one is the longest river in South India?
192. Who was the English ambassador who got permission from Jahangir to build a factory for the East India Company
193. Which one is the longest rail tunnel in India?
194. Mangal Pandey was a sepoy at?
195. In which city is the longest flyover of India located?
196. Which one is the first fort constructed by the British in India?
197. In which State are the living root bridges found?
198. The second battle of Panipat, 1556 was fought between?
199. Which one is the largest Zoological park (Zoo) in India?
200. Who wrote the biography of Akbar – “Akbarnama” (Book of Akbar)
201. In which state is the cleanest village of India and Asia Mawlynnong located?
202. Qutub Minar construction was started by Qutub-ud-din Aibak in 1192. Who had completed the construction of Qutub Minar?
203. Where is the headquarters of the Indian Railway located?
204. What is the real name of Birbal?
205. Where are the headquarters of Life Insurance of India (LIC) located?
206. Who was not included in the ‘Navaratna’ of Akbar?
207. Who is the first Indian woman to climb Mt. Everest?
208. Which poem was written by Kalidas?
209. Who is the first Indian woman to climb Mt. Everest with prosthetic legs?
210. Who is known as the Napoleon of India?
211. Who is known as the “Birdman of India?”
212. Kabir was whose disciple?
213. Who was the first Indian to be a member of the British Parliament?
214. Which monuments were built by Shah Jahan?
215. The ‘onam’ festival is mainly celebrated in which state?
216. Who was the ruler of Delhi when Babur attacked India?
217. ‘Kuchipudi’ is a classical dance from which state?
218. ‘Gayatri Mantra’ is written in?
219. ‘Bharata Natyam’ is a classical dance from which state?
220. At the time of Alexander’s invasion, which dynasty was ruling North India?
221. The total number of caves present in the Ajanta Caves, Maharashtra is?
222. Who was not a part of ‘Navaratnas’ of Vikramaditya? Kalidas, Varahamihira, Charaka, Amarasimha
223. The total number of caves present in the Ellora Caves, Maharashtra is?
224. The use of Zero and Decimal system was introduced during the period of which dynasty?
225. Maha Kumbh Mela can be held in the same place after every?
226. Who was the founder of Madras?
227. Kumbh Mela can not be held in which city?
228. Who was the founder of Indian Boy Scouts?
229. Officially, the Indian Republic Day celebration continues for a duration of?
230. The National song of India “Vande Mataram” was first published in which novel in 1882?
231. What is the total number of spokes present in the Ashoka Chakra?
232. Who had renamed the famous diamond ‘Syamantaka-mani’ as ‘Kuh-e nur’
233. When the Postal Index Number (PIN) was first introduced in India?
234. The ‘Din-e-Ilahi’ religion was founded by?
235. Total number of PIN (Postal Index Number) zone in the Indian postal service is?
236. The other name of Chanakya is?
237. ‘Pravasi Bharatiya Divas’ is celebrated in India on?
238. Who is the author of the book ‘Rama Charitamanas?’
239. French is one of the official languages of which union territories in India?
240. Vande Mataram was first sung at the session of the Indian National Congress in which year?
241. According to the census 2011, which state has the highest sex ratio with 1084 women per 1000 men?
242. Which battle gave the East Indian Company the right to collect of revenue in India for first time?
243. Which is the most literate state in India, according to the 2011 census?
244. The first Indian national elections under the Constitution were held in the year?
245. Who was the Governor-General of India during the Indian Rebellion of 1857?
246. TATA Airlines is now known as?
247. Who had implemented the ‘Doctrine of Lapse’ policy in India?
248. The international hub of Jet Airways is located at?
249. Who had founded the Hindu reform movement ‘Arya Samaj’ in 1875?
250. Who had written the book ‘Geet Govind?’
251. How many times India has been elected to the UN Security Council?
252. The city of Agra was founded in 1504 by?
253. In which year was the Reserve Bank of India nationalized?
254. During which Governor’s rule, was the Indian Civil Service introduced?
255. The largest museum of India is located at?
256. When was the declaration of ‘Purna Swaraj’ made by the Indian National Congress?
257. The longest railway platform in India is located in?
258. Which viceroy of India made the decision of Partition of Bengal?
259. In which city is the biggest bus terminal of India and South Asia located?
260. In which year was the Indian National Congress established?
261. The First city in India to have a dedicated lane for bicycle rides was?
262. Who is known as the founder of the Indian National Congress?
263. In which year did UNESCO declare Darjeeling Himalayan Railway as World Heritage Site?
264. Who was the first woman president of the Indian National Congress?
265. Which railway station is at the highest altitude in India?
266. The first round table conference in London was held in the year?
267. India’s first metro railway service in Kolkata was started in the year?
268. The Indian Councils Act, 1909 is also known as?
269. India’s first all-women Post Office is located in?
270. Who was the first Secretary of State for India?
271. Mother Teresa received Nobel Peace Prize in the year?
272. Who was the last Governor-General of Indian under East India Company Rule?
273. In which country Mother Teresa was born?
274. Who was the first president of the Indian National Congress?
275. In which year was Maruti Udyog Limited established in India?
276. In which year did Akbar reign the power of the Mughal Empire?
277. Which is the biggest slum area in Asia?
278. Who wrote the book Ain-i-Akbari or the “Constitution of Akbar”
279. The population census in India is conducted after every?
280. Who built the famous Shalimar Bagh of Srinagar?
281. Who is known as the ‘Metro man’ in India?
282. Which Mughal Emperor is also known as ‘Alamgir?’
283. Which city is known as the diamond city of India?
284. Who was the first Mughal Emperor to enforce sharia law in India?
285. Who is known as the missile woman of India?
286. Famous Moroccan traveler Ibn Battuta visited India during the reign of?
287. The National Stock Exchange of India is located in?
288. Delhi’s only lady ruler Razia Sultana belongs to which dynasty?
289. The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) of India was established in the year?
290. Who was the founder of the Lodi dynasty in India?
291. Which state in India was the first to apply VAT (Value Added Tax)
292. Who was the founder of Slave dynasty in Delhi
293. Which city of India is also known as the ‘leather city of India?’
294. Chinese traveler Hsuan tsang visited India during the reign of?
295. Which city of India is also known as ‘Manchester of India?’
296. Who was the founder of Vijayanagara Empire?
297. Which city of India is also known as ‘Silicon Valley of India?’
298. Who is the writer of the book ‘Ratnavali?’
299. Which city of India is also known as ‘Orange City of India?’
300. Who is the writer of the book ‘Panchatantra?’