The world cup football is a celebration of global cultures and traditions, a chance for sportswriters to ring out the cliches once again, and the fans to see their favorite football celebrities showcase their skills. It is among the most-watched events in the world, with the Final often topping TV viewing charts.
You don’t even need to be a football fan to be caught up in the emotions of an international tournament. With continental qualification pathways leading to an exciting finals event, it brings people together, both kids and adults, whether they are passionate or not.
World Cup Football Trivia Questions
If you have been bitten by the football bug, you will want to know as many facts as you can about this great tournament. Do you know what is the nation that has won the most World Cups? Or, when and where will the next World Cup occur?
If you like to connect, meet and debate with other football fans from all over the globe, our trivia questions will make your time more fun and engaging.
For those of you who fancy themselves as football fanatics and club diehards, this list of world cup football trivia quiz questions and answers will help you learn more. Take a look!
Related Post: Sports Trivia Questions and Answers
Related Post: Sports Fun Facts
1. Which country has won the most FIFA World Cups?
2. 1978 Argentina Which team lost to host nation in the final match after extra time?
3. What is the full form of FIFA?
4. Which country has won the second most number of World Cups?
5. Which nation finished third in the first World Cup in 1930?
6. He was the best football player of Europe in 1998?
7. Which two countries have reached the final of the football World Cup the most number of times?
8. The first FIFA World Cup took place in 1930 in Uruguay. There were only 13 teams. World Cup Final score was 4-2. Who won?
9. When was the first Premier League played?
10. How many times has Germany won the tournament?
11. The first World Cup tournament was held in 1930. The host of the joust – Uruguay – won the final with the result of 4-2. Who did they play against?
12. How many countries participated in the first tournament?
13. Who was the first player to miss a penalty kick at the world cup?
14. Which player scored the fastest hat-trick in the Premier League?
15. Which player has scored the most number of goals at the FIFA World Cup?
16. Sweden hosted the 1958 World Cup. In what position did they finish?
17. Who was the first football player to be knighted?
18. Who is the only player to have won the World Cup three times?
19. Who was the top scorer of the 1978 World Cup?
20. Who is the first player to win the World Cup as both player and manager?
21. How many consecutive World Cup minutes did Switzerland play (2006 and 2010)without conceding a goal?
22. In which year Ronaldo retired before changing his decision?
23. Who is the oldest player to appear in the World Cup?
- What was the score in the opening match of France ’98 between Brazil and Scotland
25. Which is the world’s largest football ground?
26. Who is the youngest player to appear in the World Cup?
27. Which country hosted the 1966 World Cup?
28. Name the only player to play in three World Cup finals?
29. Which player has played the most matches at the World Cup, excluding qualifying?
30. Which country had the honour of hosting the 1938 World Cup?
31. Name the ball that was used at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil?
32. Which player scored in each of Brazil’s games at the 1970 World Cup?
33. Italy won the 1938 World Cup, but which country was the runners up?
34. Name the country has lost the most matches in the World Cup?
35. In the 2014 World Cup, the Maracana will become the second stadium to host two World Cup finals. Which was the first?
36. Who won the Golden Boot at the 1990 World Cup finals?
37. What was the name of World Cup trophy before 1974?
38. In which World Cup did players first wear jerseys with their surname on the back?
39. In which City did the USA defeat England 1-0 during the 1950 World Cup in Brazil?
40. Name the only host country to get eliminated in the first round?
41. How many countries have made at least one appearance at the World Cup?
42. Brazil 1966. In spite of being the champion of the two previous World Cups, Brazil was eliminated in the first round, defeating Bulgaria and losing to Portugal and Hungary. How many games did Pele take part in this competition?
43. Name the official song of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa?
44. How many countries have played in the World Cup final?
45. Which English player had a goal from a free-kick disallowed against The Netherlands at the 1990 World Cup?
46. What is the highest number of total goals scored in a single World Cup final?
47. Who was the first ever player to miss a penalty in a shootout in a World Cup Finals match ?
48. Who scored the most goals in 1930, held in Uruguay?
49. Name the country won the 1998 World Cup?
50. What is the name of the mascot of the 2014 World Cup, and what animal does he represent?
51. How many national teams played in the qualification games for the first World Cup in 1930?
52. Which country has lost at least three games in three separate World Cup tournaments?
53. Who was the all-time topscorer in World Cup history at the conclusion of the 2002 tournament?
54. Name the goalkeeper that got the cup for Italy in 1982?
55. Which is the only country to twice enter a tournament as defending champions only to get eliminated in the first round?
56. What is Pele’s real name?
57. Which is the only debutant (playing in its first World Cup) country in the 2014 World Cup?
58. How many goals did Italian striker Christian Vieri score in World Cups?
59. Which is the only country to withdraw from the World Cup on the grounds that they were used to playing barefoot, which FIFA didn’t allow?
60. Which country lost to Italy in the 1970 World Cup semi-final?
61. Which team has played only one game at the World Cup in their entire history?
62. What team lost to Italy in 1934?
63. Who was sent off for England in their first round match against Morocco in the 1986 world cup?
64. For which country did the player mentioned in the preceding question play?
65. Who was called ‘the black spider’, and the ‘black cat’?
66. What was introduced for the first time in the World Cup in Mexico in 1970?
67. Name the player was the first to kick a ball during the 1930 World Cup In Uruguay?
68. Which instrument became world-famous thanks to its association to football in South Africa?
69. Who was the leading goalscorer in the 1986 World Cup Finals?
70. In which city was the FIFA Congress held which decided to organize a football World Cup?
71. How many countries have won the football World Cup on home soil?
72. Where was the 1982 World Cup hosted?
73. The first ever World Cup to be split between two host nations was 2002 in Japan and South Korea. The latter team did well by making it to the semi-finals, but they didn’t win the bronze. Which country, partly in Europe and partly in Asia, did?
74. Name the youngest captain in the 1998 FIFA World Cup?
75. In the 1934 World Cup tournament at Italy, which neighboring nation of the host country finished fourth?
76. Which countries were not allowed to take part in the 1950 World Cup?
77. During 1966 FIFA World Cup in England, Argentina were playing the hosts for a place in semi-finals. During the match Argentina´s captain was sent off by the referee, but instead of leaving the field he sat down for a while on the Queen’s red carpet and he became famous. What was his name?
78. When and where the first FIFA Women’s World Cup was held?
79. What was the 1978 World Cup mascot called?
80. How many goals did Italian striker Christian Vieri score in World Cups?
81. Which team has qualified for 8 World Cups, but never made it past the first round?
82. Excluding the 3rd place match, how many goals did Turkish striker Hakan Sukur score in the 2002 World Cup?
83. How many countries have qualified for the tournament over the decades, just once?
84. Who was the referee for the 2002 FIFA World Cup final between Brazil and Germany?
85. Which German player made the most appearances in a World Cup?
86. Which Turkish player scored the fastest goal in 2002?
87. Cuba took part in the World Cup for the first time in 1938. What was the score in their first game?
88. Name the only goalkeeper to have ever won the ‘Golden Ball’ trophy?
89. I scored one own goal against France in the group stage 1998 World Cup. Who am I?
90. How many goals did Roberto Baggio score?
91. Czechoslovakia 1970. The group was very difficult, with Brazil, England, and Romania, but the Czech had no points in the tournament. Can you tell who scored all the Czech goals?
92. Until the Spanish finally captured the World Cup trophy in South Africa in 2010, they were referred to as a team of ‘nearly men’, that never seemed to live up to the potential at the greatest international competition in football. Their best finish before then was in 1950. What was their finishing position in 1950?
93. Which Spaniard scored from a free-kick against South Korea in the 1990 World Cup?
94. Japan and Korea 2002: Which city hosted the final?
95. 1934 Cup held in Italy, who scored the most goals?
96. What country was originally picked to host the 1986 World Cup?
97. Thirteen national teams finally participated in the 1950 World Cup held in Brazil, although sixteen had qualified for this tournament. Which three failed to appear?
98. During the World Cup 1978 a player from Mexico looked remarkable because of his huge head of hair and his thick beard. What is his name?
99. 1986 Mexico Mexico hosted the tournament for the second time (their first was in 1970). Which team which was not expected to finish in a top 4 position, but did?
100. Which nation finished third in the first World Cup in 1930?
101. There were two stadiums used in Moscow – what were they called?
102. Who scored a penalty for the Netherlands in the 1974 World Cup final, after just 2 minutes?
103. Which player finished top scorer in the 1938 World Cup?
104. Who were the winners in the 1974 and 1978 Finals?
105. Which player scored 5 goals in a World Cup finals match, the most goals to be scored in a single match?
106. What nationality was Bert Patenaude, the player who scored the first hat-trick in the history of the World Cup; in the very first edition, Uruguay 1930?
107. When did Denmark reach the quarter-finals of the World Cup for the first time?
108. Which Bolivian player, injured just before the Finals, was substituted in against Germany. Four minutes later, a challenge from behind on a German player resulted in a red card?
109. What was the name of the 2006 World Cup Trophy?
110. Who played in goal for England in 1970 when Germany took revenge for their 4-2 defeat in the 1966 final?
111. Who scored for Czechoslovakia in the first 15 minutes in the 1962 World Cup final?
112. In 1990, West Germany won the World Cup. Who was the German manager?
113. What happened to the Italian player, Giuseppe Meazza, in the game against Brazil in the 1938 tournament?
114. Which played in the first World Cup that ended in a draw?
115. Who was the goalkeeper that knocked out Battiston at the 1982 semi-final?
116. Which two teams went out in the second round of the 1982 World Cup?
117. When Germany upset Hungary in the final of the 1954 World Cup in Switzerland, it was the second time the teams had met during the tournament. What was the score in their first meeting?
118. In the France 1938 World Cup, Leonidas was the top scorer with 8 goals. What was Leonidas also known as?
119. In what year did England become world Champion?
120. What unusual record did Ernie Brandts set?
121. How many goals were scored during the 1994 World Cup held in th USA?
122. Who scored the equalizer in the 1986 World Cup Final?
123. Uruguay 1974. The two-time world champions and semi-finalists in 1970 lost two of their three games. In which city, and against who, did Uruguay manage to get a point?
124. The tournament in West Germany in 1974 is best remembered for the battle between the host nation, led by Franz Beckenbauer, and The Netherlands with Johan Cruyff. Their goalkeeper Jan Tomaszewski didn’t concede a single goal when which European country beat Brazil 1-0 in the bronze match?
125. Which three countries were in Scotland’s group in the 1978 World Cup finals?
126. France 1938: Which Paris stadium hosted the final?
127. 1990 Italy West Germany made it to the final for the third successive time. Which team did they defeat in the semi-final by penalty kicks?
128. Did a World Cup take place in 1942 and if so, who won it?
129. His international career spanned 13 years. A veteran of three World Cups, he also won the European Player of the Year award. His nicknames include Black Panther, Black Spider and Black Octupus. Which goalkeeper are we talking about?
130. In the 1990 World Cup Finals Argentina won two penalty shoot-outs. Who was their goalkeeping hero in both shoot-outs?
131. I was shot dead after scoring an own goal in a 1994 World Cup match against USA. Who am I?
132. Who scored the most goals in 1950, held in Brazil?
133. In the 1986 World Cup quarter-final between France and Brazil two Brazillians missed their penalties. Who were they?
134. Who lost the World Cup in 1950, held in Brazil?
135. Who was the captain of England in the 1966 cup finals?
136. Who scored a wonderful header to knock the Germans out of USA 1994?
137. The Golden Boot was shared with six different players in which World Cup?
138. Who was the first substitute to score a hat-trick?
139. When did Teofilo Cubillas win the award?
140. Who scored the famous goal in North Korea’s upset of twice World Champions Italy at Ayersome Park, during the 1966 World Cup in England?
141. Who was the first goalkeeper from Mexico to score a goal in a World Cup match?
142. El Salvador 1982. Hungary established the greatest World Cup victory in the match against El Salvador. The score was 10-1. What was the half-time score?
143. He was born in 1937, into a famous football family. He was spotted by Matt Busby at the age of 17 and soon signed up for Manchester United FC. Atthe time he had a unique collection of winners medals – World Cup, League Championship and FA Cup. The highpoint of his career came in 1966, when he won the World Cup and was named European Player of the Year. Which legend are we talking about?
144. Which African country was the first to appear in the World Cup finals tournament?
145. Who was the goalkeeper that was accused in 1978 of selling out a game to Argentina?
146. Uruguay famously hosted and won the first ever World Cup in 1930. When they beat Argentina 4-2 in the final, what unusual event happened?
147. In 1998 the World Cup was held in France. Which player scored the third goal in the final?
148. This blonde striker was West Germany’s key attacker throughout the 1990s. He earned a reputation for diving earlier in his career, but won over many English critics during a hugely succesful and short spell with Tottenham Hotspur. He scored five goals for Germany at the 1994 World Cup finals. Which German legend are we talking about?
149. In the 1990 World Cup in Italy, Holland played against the Egyptians in the first round. Who scored the only goal for the Dutch?
150. Where was the first game of the World Cup 2002 played?
151. Italy 1990: In which city did the Semi-Final between Italy and Argentina take place?
152. Although the Libyan national team didn’t reach the finals of a World Cup in the 20th century, one referee did. In which match did he officiate?
153. Who was the first player to have scored a goal, plus an own goal, in the same match?
154. A gutsy midfielder, his intelligent passing and ball skills were crucial to Argentina’s success. He won 42 caps for his country and was a roaring success at Tottenham Hotspur. He made 238 league appearances for the club, helping them to FA Cup and UEFA Cup wins. He also had a spell with Paris St-Germain in 1982-83. Which legend are we talking about?
155. Which stadium hosted the opening match of the tournament between Argentina and Belgium?
156. Who was the first player in the World Cup history that has scored five goals in one single match?
157. A fleet-footed fullback in Holland’s 1974 side, he graduated to captain four years later (1978) in a more withdrawn sweeper role. He learned his craft and the philosophy of Total Football with Ajax making his transition into the national squad a natural progression. In the 1978 final, he nearly inspired the Dutch to the title. Which legend are we talking about?
158. Which player other than Lothar Mathaeus has participated in five World Cup final tournaments?
159. Who scored the most goals in 1982, held in Spain?
160. Who was the English goalkeeper at the 1966 world cup victory?
161. The first World Cup final decided by penalty kicks was 1994 final. Which Brazilian team rejoiced and this team grieved?
162. What did the 1974 tournament in West Germany have in common with the 1978 finals in Argentina?
163. After Pele suffered a serious injury during the 1962 tournament in Chile, who was the player that replaced him in the Brazilian starting squad?
164. Oman never qualified to play in a World Cup finals tournamanet throughout the 20th century, but did enjoy success in the firts decade of the 21st by winning the Gulf Cup of Nations in 2009. Who did they play in the final?
165. Who was the Bulgarian who scored a spectacular free-kick against Germany in the 1994 World Cup quarter-finals?
166. How many times did Israel take part in the World Cup finals, in the 20th century?
167. Which stadium was the venue of the first-ever indoors game in World Cup finals history?
168. In which quarter-finals, did only one team go through without a shoot-out?
169. Which two players shared the honour of the Golden Boot in 1994, held in the USA?
170. Who scored the most goals in 1954, held in Switzerland?
171. Who was the coach of the Italian winning squads of 1934 and 1938?
172. Where was the 1954 World Cup final played?
173. Who was the first person in world cup history to participate in the same tournament, both as coach and as player?
174. Who scored after only 11 seconds, the fastest goal in a World Cup finals match?
175. Which 2 countries contested the opening match at the Stade de France?
176. Who is the Hero of Japan/Korea ’02, this Brazilian forward had some sort of mental breakdown hours before the final against France?
177. Who captained, and scored in the final of 1970?
178. Only nine teams in World Cup history won 50% or more of the games they played from 1930 to 2002. The first four, Brazil, Germany, Italy and Argentina are fairly obvious. But who are the other five?
179. What was the name of the Colombian goalkeeper that was famous for his irresponsible play that caused his country to lose to Cameroon?
180. Who was the first to score a goal in 20 seconds in the World Cup finals?
181. Who scored the last goal at the final at Mexico 1986?
182. Mexico hosted two World Cup finals tournaments in the 20th century and played at the finals of 11 of the century’s tournaments. What was their best finish in those 11 World Cup finals tournaments?
183. How old was the Cameroon player, Roger Milla, when he scored a goal against Russia in 1994?
184. Which player has managed to score 4 consecutive goals in one game and in the shortest possible time?
185. How many players were used by Italy on their way to winning the 1982 World Cup?
186. 1998 France The tournament was expanded from 24 teams to 32 teams. Which team had no one expected it will finish in third place?
187. The 1986 tournament in Mexico was the scene of a new first, when a coach was sent-off. Who was that coach?
188. France won the World Cup for the first time in 1998. On the way to the final, France came back from a goal down to beat Croatia 2-1 in the semi-final. Who scored both goals for them in that match?
189. Which Senegalese Premiership star scored the winner in the 2002 World Cup opening match, which handed defending champions France a shocking 1-0 defeat?
190. How many people attended the final in 1966 at Wembley?
191. Who scored the first goal of the 1986 World Cup?
192. In the World Cup Finals in 1978, Ramon Quiroga, a goalkeeper playing in a game for Peru was booked for what?
193. France 2002. It was the first time a World Cup Champion didn´t even score a goal. The best French player at that time, Zinedine Zidane, was injured in a preparation match against South Korea. He played just one match against Denmark. Who substituted Zidane in France´s first two games?
194. What is the name of the linesman from Russia who decided that the legendary ball from Geoff Hurst of England passed the line in the 1966 World Cup final against Germany?
195. Starting in midfield, this legend developed into an elegant attacking sweeper, or libero. He exuded supreme confidence and was part of the triumphant West German squad of 1974. He was also five times a German title-winner with Bayern Munich and Hamburg. Which German legend are we talking about?
196. After how many minutes and seconds was Jose Batista sent off against Scotland in 1986, the fastest ever sending off in World Cup history at the time?
197. Who scored from a free-kick for Tunisia against Belgium in the 2002 World Cup?
198. Which countries were not permitted to play in the 1950 World Cup?
199. Who won the 2002 World Cup Final?
200. Which World Cup finals edition saw the 500th goal being scored?
201. Who was the only player to score 4 times in the same match in world cup 1986?
202. Franz Beckenbauer was the captain of Germany when they defeated The Netherlands in the final match of World Cup 1974. His skill and finesse when playing ball earned him the nickname ?
203. Diego Maradona assisted Claudio Caniggia on the game-winning goal in the 1990 Round of 16 clash against Brazil. Two of Maradona’s teammates at Italian club Napoli were in the opposing Brazil team. Who were they?
204. 1974 World Cup was held in West Germany. Brazil and Zaire were playing a match in the First Round when the referee gave a free kick for Brazil. At that moment Zaire’s defender Mwepu Ilunga ran out from his team’s defensive wall and became famous. Why was that?
205. In the 1974 World Cup, who scored the most goals in the tournament?
206. What was the average match attendance for the 1994 World Cup tournament in USA?
207. What was Sandor Kocsis nicknamed because of a certain ability?
208. Italy won the World Cup in 2006 beating France 5-3 on pens after a 1-1 draw. Who missed his penalty for France?
209. In their 5 matches in Switzerland 1954, how many goals did Hungary score?
210. In the final game of World Cup 1966 in England, the host country defeated Germany by 4 goals to 2, with Geoff Hurst scoring three goals. Who scored the other goal for England?
211. Which city was the venue for the shock 1-0 victory by the USA over England?
212. Who was known as the baltic Maradonna, and played for Sweden in USA 1994?
213. He was born in Morocco in 1933, and was signed by Nice. Although he was not very tall or good in the air to be a centre forward, he was quick and brave. A powerful left-footer, he played for France and scored 13 goals in the 1958 World Cup finals. He helped France to a third place finish by scoring four goals in a 6-3 demolition of West Germany. Which French legend are we talking about?
214. Which team conceded the least goals per game?
215. In which city did Argentina play their second-round games in 1978?
216. What place did team USA finish in 1998?
217. In the 1990 1-1 draw between the United States and Switzerland, both goals came from direct free-kicks. Who were the scorers?
218. Who was the Spanish goalkeeper that had to pull 3 balls from his net against Nigeria in 1998?
219. How many shoot-outs have there been at the World Cup finals tournament, during the 20 years from 1982 to 2002 (six World Cup finals tournaments)?
220. Who won the golden boot in 1974?
221. Who scored The Netherlands’ only goal in the final of 1978 tournament?
222. Erik Nilsson of Sweden and Alfred Bickel of Switzerland are known in the history of the Finals for what?
223. He scored 33 goals in 48 internationals and became the inspiration behind the great Ajax and Holland sides of the 1970s. His name became synonymous with the revolutionary ‘Total Football’ concept introduced by Holland as they reached the final in the 1974 World Cup. Which legend are we talking about?
224. Who was the first Dutch player to score a goal (for Holland) in a World Cup finals tournament?
225. Soccer is immensely popular in Latin countries, not the least on the Iberian Peninsula. Until the World Cup in South Africa in 2010, won by Spain, the best result an Iberian team had achieved was a bronze medal in England in 1966. Which country, with African-born super star Eusébio, won that bronze?
226. What was peculiar about the quarter-finals during the 1958 World Cup?
227. Who was the referee that sent off Zinedine Zidane, Ariel Ortega and Arthur Numan in the same World Cup?
228. How many nations have won the title ‘World Champion’?
229. Ireland and Italy met each other in both the 1990 and 1994 World Cup finals tournaments. Italy beat Ireland 1-0 at the quarter-final stages of the 1990 encounter. What was the result when they played each other at the 1994 Wordl Cup finals tournament?
230. Which two teams failed to qualify for the 1962 World Cup in Chile?
231. The FIFA World Cup always produces some of the most controversial moments in world sport. In the final moments of a 2010 quarterfinal match between Uruguay and Ghana, a Uruguayan striker deliberately fouled whilst defending the goal line from an opposition free kick. This professional foul saved Uruguay from elimination, but what was the name of the striker?
232. The Oranje won all eight of their games in qualifying for the 2010 World Cup finals. They have also been to the World Cup eight times having reached and lost the championship game twice?
233. In the 1974 FIFA World Cup, Rinus Michels’ revolution of total football had the world in awe. The Dutch had scored before the West Germans had even touched the ball. Which West German player took down Johan Cruyff, thus resulting in the penalty which Neeskens converted?
234. The 1986 World Cup quarterfinal between Brazil and France was decided on a penalty shootout after the match ended 1-1. Who scored the goals in regulation time?
235. Brazil played all their games up to and including the Semi-Final in the Jalisco Stadium. In which city?
236. Italy was eliminated in penalty shootouts from three successive World Cups (1990, 1994, 1998). Who were the respective goalkeepers involved?
237. France ’98: Which English player was red carded for a retaliatory foul against Argentinian Diego Simeone?
238. In what tournament was there an African referee for the World Cup Final?
239. What was the nationality of the three Lions who won the World Cup championship in 1966 and Fabio Capello became their coach in December 2008, following the dismissal of Steve Mclaren?
240. Who was the Polish goalkeeper in 1974 that was elected by some as the best goalkeeper at that tournament?
241. Vaclav Masek’s goal against Mexico in the 1962 finals was the fastest ever goal scored in the World Cup finals, setting a record. How long did it take him to score?
242. Which Paraguayan scored from a free-kick against South Africa in the 2002 World Cup?
243. The 1966 World Cup Final was a cracker. What was the final score and did somebody score a hat-trick?
244. Los Catrachos first World Cup finals appearance came in 1982. What was their second came in 2010, led by striker Carlos Pavon?
245. At just 18, Diego Maradona was considered too young for the 1978 FIFA World Cup. Who was the Argentine coach that passed over Diego Maradona?
246. Czechoslovakia 1970. The group was very difficult, with Brazil, England, and Romania, but the Czech had no points in the tournament. Can you tell who scored all the Czech goals?
247. England took part for the first time in the 1950 World Cup. What was the score in their game against the USA?
248. One of the most prolific scorer in international history, he captained Hungary from 1950 to 1956, scoring 83 goals from 84 appearances. The loss at the 1954 World Cup final to West Germany, was the beginning of the end of his career. He played for Real Madrid in Spain and represented Spain unsuccesfully at the 1962 World Cup finals. Which football legend are we talking about?
249. In which year were 3 points for a win first introduced to the group stages of the World Cup finals?
250. In what place did the United States finish in the 1930 World Cup in Uruguay?
251. What was the attendance at the Romania v Peru match in the 1930 World Cup in Uruguay?
252. Italia ’90: Which Dutch defender/midfielder spat repeatedly at Germany’s Rudi Voller?
253. Who scored the fastest goal by a substitute, only 16 seconds after coming on?
254. Which two teams played each other more often than any other two teams in World Cup finals from 1930 to 2002?
255. Cameroon defeated defending champions Argentina 1-0 in the opening game of Italia ’90 with a goal from Francis Oman-Bayik, but who was the unfortunate goalkeeper who “gifted” them this win?
256. Which player was injured in the early stages of the USA 94 World Cup and returned to play in the final?
257. England 1966: Apart from Wembley Stadium, which other London venue hosted a group match?
258. In the 2002 World Cup, Spain defeated which nation on penalties?
259. Who was the Spanish goal keeper in the World Cup tournament at 1982?
260. Michael Owen won the award when?
261. Who is the French goalkeeper that was famous for his shiny head?
262. Who was the referee in the first world cup final?
263. This question concerns the Brazilian midfield legend, Socrates. He captained Brazil at which World Cup?
264. In 1990 Cameroon beat the reigning World Champions Argentina by 1-0 (goal by Omam-Biyik), although they finished the game with nine players. Kana-Biyik got a red card. Who is the other player that was sent off by referee Vautrot?
265. France was what host nation to win when it won the 1998 World Cup final?
266. Which World Cup final set a record for the largest attendance for a sporting event of any kind?
267. Who was the England goalkeeper involved in the penalty shoot-out against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup?
268. Name the mascot of the World Cup in Spain 1982?
269. USA ’94: Which German midfielder thought it best to make obscene gestures at his own fans?
270. 2006 Germany Germany hosted this tournament for the second time (the first was in 1974), and was heavily favored to win the tournament. Which team did they lose to in the semi-final?
271. Which team won the first penalty shoot-out in World Cup history?
272. In 1966 tournament at England, which national team finished in fourth place?
273. Who defeated eventual finalists West Germany in the group stages of Spain ’82, causing a major upset in the process?
274. Sweden 1990. In a group that had just one first class team, Brazil, the Swedish managed to lose all their games. Which was the worst defeat?
275. The 1998 World Cup in France featured which flamboyant goalkeeper from South America who actually took direct shots from free-kicks in the tournament?
276. How many red cards did Mexican referee Arturo Brizio Carter issue in World Cups?
277. This team had been in two shoot-outs between 1982 and 2002, and both times scored only once. Which country?
278. Poland beat Brazil in the 3rd place play-off of which World Cup?
279. Which team drew the most games?
280. A small island nation aspired to go up, up and win the Cup. Which team from the English speaking Caribbean was the first to qualify for the World Cup series?
281. Ghana made their World Cup finals debut in Germany in 2006, where they were eliminated by Brazil in the second round. What two teams did they beat in their group games?
282. Which team was disqualified for fielding over-age players in the FIFA World Youth Cup in Italy 1990?
283. About how many people turned up to watch the final in Rio de Janeiro in 1950?
284. What country was the first to win back-to-back World Cup titles?
285. Brazil didn’t perform as well as they would have liked at the 2010 FIFA World Cup. They also had one of their well known players sent off for violent conduct against the Ivory Coast. Most analysts thought nothing of the incident, but only the referee’s decision counts. Who was the man sent off?
286. How many World Cups did Uwe Seeler score in?
287. In the 1994 World Cup quarterfinal against Netherlands, Brazil were leading 2-0 before the Dutch equalized. Branco then scored the winning goal from a free kick. Which player won the free kick for Brazil and who was in goal for the Dutch?
288. The Blue Samurai are competing in their fourth straight World Cup finals. Who co-hosted the event with Korea in 2002?
289. In the 1982 FIFA World Cup, Brazil were heavy favourites. In the pivotal group match against Italy, which Brazilian player famously remonstrated with his ripped shirt to referee Abraham Klein?
290. Which stadium hosted the 1990 World Cup final?
291. Where did the title holders, Uruguay, finish in the 1934 World Cup?
292. The 1994 Final between Brazil and Italy, the repeat of the 1970 Final, was a draw. What was the score after full time?
293. Who is the Italian leading scorer?
294. Which team beat American Samoa 31-0 in a qualifying match for the 2002 World Cup, but still failed to qualify?
295. In 2003, a record was set for the youngest player ever to play in a World Cup qualifier. How old was he?
296. When did Franz Beckenbauer win?
297. Which two teams share the record of most goals conceded per game from 1930 to 2002?
298. Which team defeated Argentina in 1978?
299. Who was the Brazilian goalkeeper that saved a penalty to give Brazil the World Cup in 1994?
300. Mexico 1986. Who scored the final penalty for Belgium in the shoot-out against Spain?