Charlotte was established in 1768 under the name “Charlotte Town.” The name was derived from King George III’s tribute to his wife, Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Hence why Charlotte is situated in Mecklenburg County which is named after the german territory where the Queen was born.
Today, Charlotte is a vibrant economic hub. Financial empires like Bank of America are headquartered here, as are Wells Fargo’s East Coast operations.
Charlotte Trivia Quiz Questions and Answers
Research on the religious composition of the city shows that: 51.91% of people in Charlotte practice religion, making it the second most religious city in North Carolina after Winston-Salem. The largest religion is Christianity, with Baptists (13.26%) having the largest number of adherents.
Take the following Charlotte trivia quiz to see how well you know the city. We’ll be impressed if you already know them all!
1. Charlotte is located in which North Carolina county?
2. WBTV, the state’s oldest television station, signed on in Charlotte in what year?
3. Did Bill Lee ever serve as mayor of Charlotte?
4. What is the nickname of UNC-Charlotte’s athletic teams?
5. What number has been given to Charlotte’s long-awaited Outer Belt?
6. Which long-time CBS News personality could claim Charlotte as his hometown?
7. In April 2001, which two major financial institutions announced a stunning merger of equals?
8. In what year did the Charlotte Hornets first begin play in the NBA?
9. The Hornets were not originally known as the Hornets. What was their original nickname?
10. Which major thoroughfare, long a source of irritation for Charlotte motorists, is being converted into a freeway?
11. Independence Square, the heart of Charlotte’s downtown business district, lies at the intersection of what two streets?
12. Which former mayor of Charlotte tried unsuccessfully to unseat Jesse Helms from the US Senate?
13. Which company is the title sponsor of Charlotte’s downtown NFL stadium?
14. Charlotte is the only major city in the United States served by two nuclear power plants. What are the names of those two plants?
15. Which actress on Grey’s Anatomy was born in Charlotte, NC?
16. Charlotte is the ___ capital of the world.
17. Which Charlotte native was one of twelve men to ever walk on the moon?
18. Who gave the Charlotte Hornets their name?
19. In 1799, what major event happened in Charlotte?
20. What is Charlotte’s nickname?
21. What is the local NFL team?
22. What year did the Carolina Gold Rush begin?
23. Charlotte is the largest metropolitan area in the U.S. that does not have what?
24. Why do we call it Uptown instead of Downtown?
25. Charlotte is the __ most populated city in the United States.
26. Why was the city named “Charlotte?”
27. What is the name of the nearby amusement park?
28. What President grew up around Charlotte?
29. Charlotte is a major hub for ___.
30. Charlotte is the largest city in which state?
31. Charlotte is traditionally considered the home of which religion?
32. The Reed Gold Mine operated until which year?
33. During what period did the city’s modern-day banking industry achieve its prominence?
34. Which year did Charlotte, and much of central North Carolina, get hit by an ice storm that resulted in more than 1.3 million people losing power?
35. When did the European descent settle in Charlotte?
36. How many refugees reside here?
37. Charlotte is home to the tallest rotating metal fountain in America. Where is it located?
38. He was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, in 1922. He is commonly referred to as “The Jackie Robinson of Golf,” he was the first African American to participate in the PGA Tour. Name this person.
39. What is Charlotte’s oddest landmark?
40. In November 1959 the first Family Dollar opened up in Charlotte, NC. Within 10 years, it turned into a 50-store chain. What is the status now?
41. What is the population of Charlotte, NC?
42. Name a major Historical Site in Charlotte city?
43. Local leaders came together in 1775 and signed the Mecklenburg Resolves, more popularly known as?
44. How much was Conrad Reed’s family paid for the gold he had found in 1799 which they used as a doorstep?
45. Hurricane Hugo hit the city in which year?
46. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of?
47. Charlotte’s center city sits atop a long rise between two creeks. Name them.
48. Charlotte’s center city was built on the gunnies of?
49. Charlotte has got how many neighborhoods?
50. According to the 2019 United States Census, the racial composition of Charlotte was?