Diwali is the festival of lights in India. Plenty of firecrackers and lights are part of the celebration.
Diwali Trivia Questions and Answers
It is a tradition to decorate homes with rangoli decors, visit the temple to offer prayers, and share traditional foods with loved ones. Kids get gifts and yummy treats such as gulab jamun balls and other homemade sweets.
Let’s find out how bright you are by taking a pop at the following Diwali trivia questions and answers. You can also check our Hannukah Trivia to learn about the Jewish festival of lights.
1. Diwali is a popular festival in which country?
2. What is the name given to the first day of the Diwali festival?
3. What is Diwali also known as?
4. Diwali is one of the most popular events of which religion?
5. The largest Diwali celebration outside of India takes place in which British city?
6. How many days do people celebrate Diwali?
7. The name Diwali is derived from the Sanskrit term Deepavali. What is its English translation?
8. Diwali typically takes place between which two months of the year?
9. Which is the first day of Diwali, dedicated to cleaning homes and purchasing small items of gold?
10. Which important event in Hinduism is marked by Diwali?
11. Diwali commemorates the spiritual enlightenment of which two saints?
12. During Diwali, people pray to Lord Ganesha to expect what in return?
13. Thalai Deepavali is a unique Diwali celebration of which Indian state?
14. What is the traditional food during Diwali?
15. What does Diwali symbolize?
16. What do people typically do on the first day of Diwali, known as the Dhanteras?
17. Which goddess is worshiped on Day 1 of Diwali?
18. In addition to candles, what do people use to decorate their houses during Diwali?
19. What is Bhai Dooj called in West Bengal?
20. Which kind of oil is traditionally used to light the lamps at Diwali?
21. Who killed Narakasura and when?
22. On the fifth day of Diwali, what do people traditionally celebrate?
23. The foundation stone of the Golden temple was laid in Amritsar on the day of Diwali. True or False?
24. Which of the following activities is encouraged at Diwali as a way of bringing good luck in the next year?
25. In addition to Hindus, some other religions also celebrate Diwali, EXCEPT…?
26. Which deity is Goddess Kali said to have emerged from?
27. In which Indian state is the festival Diwali also known as Kali Puja?
28. The next day of Diwali, also known as Govardhan Puja is the Hindu New Year for many in India. True or False?
29. Another meaning of Diwali is to celebrate the event when Lord Krishna killed which evil king?
30. Diwali symbolizes which important event from Ramayana, an important text of Hinduism?
31. In which country do people call Diwali “Swanti” or “Tihar”?
32. What is the meaning of decorating the house with lamps and lights during Diwali?
33. Who was the first U.S. President to attend Diwali personally at the White House?
34. In which part of the day do people in India burst crackers to celebrate Diwali?
35. Which is the most significant day of Diwali when people light thousands of clay lamps and set them adrift on the river, followed by jubilation and fireworks?
36. Name a sweet made during Diwali?
37. Which deity is Goddess Kali said to have emerged from?
38. Sikhs associate the festival of Diwali with the name?
39. Unlike the rest of India, Tamilians do not burst crackers in the evening. When do they do it?
40. Lord Rama was the empire of which kingdom?
41. In “Mera Beta Aa Gaya”: Which scene shows when Jaya Bachchan senses the arrival of SRK’s return to home on Diwali?
42. In the “Dhiktana” bollywood movie: Which scene coincides with the birth of Renuka’s baby boy?
43. Name the movie in which Emraan Hashmi professes his love for Vidya Balan’s character in a romantic Diwali backdrop?
44. Which movie does, SRK play cupid to 3 couples and calls for their union on Diwali?
45. In which Diwali scene did Kalki’s character and her friends have a real ‘blast’?
46. In what movie does Lisa Hayden sing a song at a Diwali party?
47. What was SRK’s heart-wrenching Diwali scene when Dadaji passed away?
48. Remember when Aamir Khan donned a Desi avatar and brought Diwali cheer on-screen? Name the show?
49. In which movie has no Diwali dhamaka because Darsheel Safary didn’t want to go to boarding school?
50. In “Aayi Hai Diwali Suno Ji Gharwali”: what was Govinda’s old dance number?