The Maldives is undoubtedly one of the most popular beach destinations in the world. Also, the place receives sunlight at 90 degrees, do carry your sunscreen while enjoying the outdoors.
It is obvious that the Maldives is a dream destination for many thanks to its luxurious, over-the-water bungalows. But, for scuba divers, there’s no better way to explore the Maldives than by liveaboard dive safari.
Maldives Facts Trivia Questions and Answers
The Maldives is a tropical paradise on earth, with rich marine life. It is one of those few places where you can spot gorgeous whale sharks.
If this sounds like your paradise, explore the islands on a virtual knowledge trip with the following Maldives trivia, sure to whet your wanderlust!
1. What is the capital of the Maldives?
2. When did the Maldives gain independence?
3. On which continent is the Maldives located?
4. Which ocean surrounds the Maldives?
5. Where would you find the island country of the Maldives?
6. Currency of the Maldives?
7. When did the first Muslim autopsy take place in the Maldives?
8. Name the official language of the Maldives?
9. Who won the Pulitzer prize for the book “The emperor of all Maldives: A Cancer story”?
10. India, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives on 6 March 2014 held national security advisor-level meeting on maritime security cooperation in?
11. Which of the following countries are not members of SAARC? 1. Bhutan 2. Maldives 3. Myanmar 4. Thailand 5. Srilanka 6. Philippines
12. The Maldives were long a sultanate and under British protection. But under the protection of what other country were the Maldives before the British?
13. When did the Maldives become a republic?
14. It’s no joke, but the official highest point on the Maldives is 2.4 meter. It’s an unnamed location on an island in the Addu Atoll. What is the name of this island?
15. There are 1,190 coral islands grouped into 26 atolls in the Maldives. How many islands are inhabited or have tourist atolls?
16. The president is both the Chief of State and Head of Government in the Maldives. Who became president on 11 November 1978?
17. What is the largest industry in the Maldives?
18. The flag of the Maldives is red with a large green rectangle in the center bearing a vertical crescent. What is the color of this crescent?
19. The beautiful white sandy beaches of the Maldive Islands sit in the Indian Ocean with the closest landmass being India. Which body of water separates India and The Maldives?
20. Although there is limited wildlife to be found on the islands as a food source, what is found in abundance to compensate for this?
21. The Maldives consists of just over 1,900 small islands spread out over 90,000 square kilometres. Geographically, the majority of these islands are best described as what type of islands?
22. To the nearest thousand, how many coral islands does the Maldives possess?
23. The flag of the Maldives has at its center what “heavenly” feature?
24. Is it true that the Maldives has the lowest average elevation of any country in the world?
25. Islam is the official state religion of the Maldives. However, the Maldives has not always been an Islamic country. What religion was predominant in the Maldives prior to its conversion to Islam?
26. As is this won’t in many other island nations, what prevents rich vegetation from growing close to the beaches in the Maldives?
27. The Maldives lays claims to a few geographical ‘number ones’. Which one of these can the Maldives claim as a number one?
28. In 1998, almost two-thirds of the beautiful coral reefs in the nation of the Maldives were destroyed by which phenomenon?
29. In December 2004, what natural event caused significant damage to the Maldives?
30. The environment and ecology of the Maldives are threatened due to unprecedented growth in tourism and the effects of climate change. Which is the most hazardous to the islands?
31. In the early 21st century, which of these environmental issues has been of most concern to the Maldives?
32. What is a feature of the bars and restaurants of the capital city of Malé?
33. Fishing is the second most important industry in the Maldives. What is the name of the traditional Maldivian fishing boat?
34. Which months would it be best to visit the Maldives if you wanted to minimise the use of your umbrella?
35. Around the second century AD, the Maldives earned itself the name “The Money Islands” in recognition of an important trading commodity it possessed. What was it?
36. When did the Maldives abolish the sultanate?
37. What is the main food in the Maldives?
38. Biggest city in the Maldives?
39 Name the most used transport in the Maldives?
40. How many islands are there in the Maldives?
41. Which Indian Prime Minister visited the Maldives in 2002?
42. Who were the first settlers in the Maldives?
43. Who was the first king of the Maldives?
44. What is the one experience for which people come to the Maldives?
45. In 2009, the president of Maldives, Mohamed Nasheed organized the meeting of all cabinet ministers at the sea bed. What was the meeting about?
46. The Maldives was actually founded by?
47. The weather in the Maldives is dominated by which two seasons?
48. Name 5 of the 7 species of marine turtles in the world hosted in the Maldives?
49. What was used as a used as currency in the olden days?
50. Why does the Maldives receive sunlight almost at an angle of 90 degrees?