Palm Sunday is a crucial Christian celebration happening every year just before the Easter weekend. It is believed to be the day when Jesus Christ first rode into Jerusalem on a donkey. At this time Jesus knew what was to follow – the crucifixion and later ascension into heaven.
This day is about peace and salvation. The name Palm Sunday is used because people in Jerusalem threw palm leaves on the floor to greet Jesus.
Palm Sunday Facts Trivia Questions and Answers
During Palm Sunday service, the palm leaves are blessed by a priest and then collected and burned into ash. The ash would later be used in the following year’s Ash Wednesday celebration.
Since palm leaves are blessed, they cannot be thrown away as rubbish. Over the years, Christians have decorated their homes with palm leaves or olive branches. In case you’re wondering how to go about it, you can tuck them behind a religious picture or crucifix.
Check out the following Palm Sunday trivia to test how well you know this Christian holiday.
1. What is Palm Sunday?
2. What is the other name for Palm Sunday?
3. When is Palm Sunday?
4. Palm Sunday commemorates Jesus’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem. This event is mentioned in all four of the canonical Gospels.
5. Why is Palm Sunday called Palm Sunday?
6. When Jesus entered Jerusalem, what animal did he ride?
7. What happens to the palms after Palm Sunday?
8. Which color are you MOST LIKELY to see used in church on Palm Sunday?
9. What do palm branches symbolize?
10. In Belgium, there is a traditional Palm Sunday procession in which representatives of the Twelve Apostles carry a wooden statue of Christ around town. In what town does this annual procession occur?
11. In what country do children perform the “virvonta” on Palm Sunday by going from door to door with branches to wish the households well?
12. To what place did Jesus go from Jericho?
13. What did the crowds cry when Jesus entered Jerusalem on Palm Sunday?
14. What was made for Jesus in Bethany?
15. In which country do the locals visit the Palmeral of Elche to cover palm leaves from the sun to allow them to whiten for Palm Sunday?
16. Who came to Jesus at this supper?
17. What did Mary do to Jesus?
18. What did Jesus say of Mary?
19. Which of Jesus’ disciples agreed to sell him to his enemies?
20. What did the enemies of Jesus promise to give Judas, if he would give Jesus to them?
21. Over what mountain did Jesus ride, from Bethany to Jerusalem?
22. Who went with Jesus as he rode over the Mount of Olives?
23. What did the people carry and wave around Jesus?
24. What did they call out together?
25. What do Christians often carry on Palm Sunday?
26. When does Palm Sunday fall, each year?
27. What Jewish holiday was taking place during Jesus’ triumphal Palm Sunday Parade?
28. What old testament king had palm branches carved into the temple walls?
29. Into what shape do many Sunday school children form palm leaves on Palm Sunday?
30. Name another name for Palm Sunday?
31. Who brought the donkey that Jesus ride on?
32. What does making a path with garments or branches signify?
33. The palm branch symbolizes?
34. Who was the Roman governor during this biblical time?
35. Today, many churches celebrate Palm Sunday with reenactments of the triumphal entry. How does the Catholic church do it?
36. How does the Netherlands commemorate Palm Sunday?
37. How are the celebrations like in Poland?
38. What happens to palms after Palm Sunday?
39. What do we reflect on Palm Sunday?
40. Where is Palm Sunday found in the Bible?
41. Why Did Jesus Ride on a Donkey?
42. What Does “Hosanna” Mean?
43. Palm Sunday is the fulfillment of an Old Testament prophecy. Which scripture has outlined this?
44. Palms represent immortality. True or False?
45. Jesus and his disciples stayed in Bethany on the evening of Palm Sunday. According to the bible, Bethany is whose birth town?
46. Revelation 7:9, as recorded by John, prophesies a second triumphal entry by The Lord and Savior of the world. What does it say?
47. The biblical account of Palm Sunday can be found in which books?
48. It is traditional to recite the words of the townsfolk of Jerusalem, by saying?
49. After Palm Sunday ends, Christians must never throw away their palm leaves and crosses. Why?
50. What does the red robe worn by the priest signify?