Patriots’ Day more accurately captures the spirit of Boston. It is a commemoration of the first battles of the American Revolutionary War.
On the Morning of Patriots’ Day, people watch sports; the Baseball game just before the Marathon begins. The heart of the holiday is the iconic Boston Marathon where athletes from all over the world come together with ambitions of winning the race.
Patriots’ Day Trivia Questions and Answers
At its core, Patriots’ Day pays tribute to the city of Boston for its rich history and cultural heritage. It is more than a 26-mile race, an International festival, and a prelude to the Spring holiday.
Take a look at the following Patriots Day trivia questions and answers to deeply understand how the day came to be and the events of this holiday.
1. Why did the Boston Marathon bombers do what they did?
2. When was the first Boston Marathon held?
3. Did the argument on whether or not to make the bombers’ photos public really take place?
4. For many years, what was the only prize for winning the Boston Marathon?
5. Why did the Tsarnaev brothers have Dun Meng go with them when they take his car? Why didn’t they just take it and leave Dun Meng behind?
6. Were the bombers members of a terrorist organization?
7. Who was Samuel Whittemore?
8. If a 20-year-old woman wants to run in the 2014 marathon, how fast must she have run a previous marathon in order to qualify?
9. Where is Mark Wahlberg from?
10. When is Patriots’ Day?
11. What do people do on this day?
12. The Red Sox have been scheduled to play at Fenway Park every Patriots’ Day since which year?
13. What are the tragic events of the 2013 marathon?
14. How did the field of runners grow in 2014?
15. How many runners are accepted every year?
16. In 1897, what was the winner’s finishing time?
17. What was the distance of the first Boston Marathon?
18. In what year was the race lengthened to the Olympic standard of 26.2 miles?
19. What year did a woman first run the Boston Marathon?
20. In what year did the race’s winner first break the two hours, 30 minutes mark?
21. What happened to Kathrine Switzer, who ran the race in 1967 in spite of the official ban on women participants?
22. How did Jock Semple ultimately respond to women who wanted to run the race?
23. What does Boston Marathon honor?
24. True or false: The Boston Marathon is New England’s biggest spectator athletic event.
25. On which day Boston Marathon is held?
26. What nationality was the man who first broke the two hours, 15 minutes mark at the marathon?
27. Which is the starting point of Boston Marathon?
28. In what year did an African first win the event?
29. Since 1991, how many non-Africans have won the Boston Marathon?
30. What is the course record?
31. Who won the first Boston Marathon?
32. When was the length of Boston Marathon increased to 26 miles 385 yards?
33. What was Mutai’s per-mile pace at the 2011 Boston Marathon?
34. Who was the first woman to complete Boston Marathon?
35. American Meb Keflezighi won the race in 2014. He was the first American to win the race since what year?
36. Who won Boston Marathon in 2006?
37. How many Finnish men have won the race?
38. Who fell down due to the impact of the bomb blast and then got up and completed the race during the Boston Marathon 2013?
39. What’s the nickname for the segment of the course that passes by Wellesley College?
40. How many feet does Heartbreak Hill rise?
41. How many runners have died as they attempted to run the Boston Marathon?
42. How many Russians have won the race?
43. In his poem “Concord Hymn,” Ralph Waldo Emerson called the gunfire at Concord’s North Bridge the “shot heard round the world.” What does Concord mean?
44. What’s the minimum age for participants in the Boston marathon?
45. What’s the record time set by a wheelchair participant?
46. In Massachusetts, Patriots’ Day replaced what?
47. Bobbi Gibb was the first woman to finish the race. How long did it take her to cross the finish line?
48. Which State was the last to have Fast Day as a legal holiday?
49. How do race organizers respond to “bandits,” unofficial runners who jump into the race without registering?
50. How many times did John A. Kelley finish the Boston Marathon?