Holy Saturday is commemorated to mark the day Christ lay in the tomb. It occurs a day after Good Friday– when Jesus was crucified. This is the last day of the holy week and marks an end to the lent season.
One very interesting tradition is the blessing of various Animals which is a colorful occasion observed by people of Mexican descent in the USA.
Holy Saturday Trivia Questions and Answers
Did you know that the liturgy of the word includes seven bible readings from the Old Testament and two readings from the New Testament? All the readings are read to prolong the character of the Easter vigil.
Here is a list of Holy Saturday trivia questions and answers to help you understand the holy week and the crucifixion of Christ.
1. When does Holy Week fall?
2. In many Christian traditions, Holy Saturday commemorates the Harrowing of Hell. Where does it say that Christ “descended into Hell” or “descended to the dead”?
3. In the Western tradition, what are the first and last days of Holy Week, respectively?
4. In the Coptic Orthodox Church, what is Holy Saturday primarily known as?
5. What is the first day of Holy Week in the Eastern Orthodox Church?
6. In what tradition does the Holy Saturday service take place around the Epitaphios, an icon bearing the image of the dead body of Christ prepared for burial?
7. Which day in Holy Week commemorates Christ’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem?
8. In the 20th century, in the Western calendar, which of the following dates is the only one to have been the date of one or more Holy Saturdays?
9. What event is associated with Holy Saturday in the Coptic Church?
10. In the Roman Catholic church, the altar is draped in black for Holy Saturday.
11. Celebration of Catholic Mass is typically forbidden on which of these holy days?
12. Anglicans and Roman Catholics traditionally hold an early morning mass on Holy Saturday.
13. What other name is Holy Monday sometimes known by?
14. “Mary the mourning came in the dawn’s crashing, / the earls’ daughter called them with the others. / Two sorrowing ladies sought the Victory-Child of God / alone in the earth-hall where they knew earlier / that the heroes of Judea had hidden him.” In what language was this poem, appropriate for Holy Saturday, originally written?
15. On which of these holy days would you typically find the altar either covered in black or stripped?
16. What early 16th-century artist, who is commemorated on April 6 in the Lutheran church, depicted Christ’s descent into hell in one of twelve wood cuttings depicting the Passion of Christ?
17. What event in the life of Jesus is typically associated with Holy Wednesday?
18. Which Three days make up the Easter Triduum?
19. Where did the Agony in the Garden take place?
20. On Palm Sunday, some Christians participate in the drama of the events of Holy Week through the “Cry of the Whole Congregation.” Which of these is not a line that the congregation, playing the part of the people, speaks?
21. What day of Holy Week is also known as Sabbatum Sanctum?
22. Who betrayed Jesus?
23. Who denied Jesus three times?
24. All Christian denominations observe Holy Week by holding at least one or two special services during the week. True or False?
25. Who ordered Jesus to be scourged?
26. On which days in Holy Week are Protestants least likely to hold a special service?
27. What do palm branches symbolize on Palm Sunday?
28. What was the Jewish feast which was being celebrated the week Christ was crucified?
29. What criminal was released instead of Jesus?
30. What was Judas paid for identifying Jesus to the Roman soldier?
31. Which disciple cut off the ear of the high priest’s servant in an attempt to protect Jesus from being taken as a prisoner?
32. How many Stations of the Cross are there?
33. The Upper Room Chapel in Nashville displays a carved wooden representation of?
34. What was the name of the high priest’s servant who had his ear cut off by the disciple and subsequently reattached by Jesus?
35. What did the sign on the cross say?
36. What does a Tenebrae service consist of?
37. In repentance, Judas returned the money to the priests that he was given as the price of betrayal of the Lord, and then did what?
38. Who made arrangements for the burial of Jesus?
39. The priests took the money that Judas had returned to them and did what with it?
40. Who was the first to discover that Jesus had risen?
41. How many times does Jesus fall on the way to Calvary?
42. What did Pilate’s wife counsel him to do concerning Jesus?
43. A man named Simon was compelled to carry the cross of Jesus. In Mark 15 we are told the names of Simon’s two sons. What were their names?
44. Where is the most popular Easter parade held each year?
45. What was the inscription above the cross?
46. The world-record largest chocolate Easter egg was made in what city?
47. When Jesus died there was darkness in the land. How long did it last?
48. How many jellybeans do Americans consume each Easter?
49. What do the marzipan balls on a simnel cake represent?
50. In the Bible, how many days passed between Jesus’ death and resurrection?
51. What is the 40-day period before Easter?
52. Easter’s date is determined by what?
53. What pagan goddess is associated with Easter?
54. Which day of Holy Week is to honor the Last Supper?
55. In what season does holy Saturday take place in Australia?
56. In the Bible, what did Jesus and his apostles eat at the Last Supper?
57. What holiday is celebrated on the last day before Lent begins?
58. How many days are there in Lent?
59. What prayer of the Mass is omitted during Lent?
60. What snack originated during Lent because it contains only flour, water and salt?
61. What Irish saint’s feast day takes place during Lent?
62. What is the Triduum?