Every New Year’s tradition has its own ways to ring in a lucky new year.
Are you the kind to enjoy a New Year’s Eve dinner with loved ones by your side waiting for the clock to strike midnight, so you can kiss your significant other – a happy new year? Or, do you prefer staying indoors, enjoying some homemade alcoholic cocktails, and planning achievable new year’s resolutions?
New Year’s Trivia Questions and Answers – New Year’s Eve Traditions Too – 2023
Whichever tradition you choose to usher in a new year, get some time to squeeze in for this fun new year’s trivia exercise. We have compiled New Year’s Day facts and history through symbols and traditions, to how the day is celebrated all over the world.
Here, take up these New Year’s trivia questions and answers sure to make you more enlightened!
1. “Auld Lang Syne” is the song most associated with New Year’s Eve. Who wrote it?
2. What is the name of the celebration observed in ancient Greece during which an infant is paraded around in a basket?
3. From what Roman god does the month of January get its name?
4. A famous Frank was born in Bayonne, New Jersey, on January 1st, 1938? What’s Frank’s last name?
5. When were the time balls invented?
6. What group of American people emancipated the slaves on January 1st, 1788?
7. What is the original reason that the time balls were invented?
8. On what calendar is Chinese New Year based?
9. In 1908, what classic New Year’s tradition began in Times Square in New York City?
10. In which year was the Times Square New Year’s tradition not followed?
11. Ads for what product were banned from American TV on January 1, 1971?
12. If you lived in ancient Persia, what gift would you give out on New Year’s?
13. What was the weight of the original Time Square ball?
14. What is the translation of the title of the song “Auld Lang Syne”?
15. What custom do many Americans stick to when the ball drops?
16. What is the 2018 design of the Time Square ball called?
17. About how many people watch the Waterford crystal Times Square New Year’s Eve ball drop on television each year?
18. In what year since the beginning of the tradition did the New Year’s Eve ball did not drop in New York City?
19. What is the confetti made of that falls over the crowd at midnight in Times Square?
20. What food do people in the Southern United States often eat for good luck on New Year’s Eve?
22. In Miami, Florida, how do they mark the arrival of the New Year?
23. On what date was New Year’s celebrated in ancient Rome?
24. Where is New Year’s Eve known as Hogmanay?
25. What tradition is followed in the city of Hershey, PA, on New Year’s Eve?
26. In Hungary, something is burnt as the New Year comes in. What is it?
27. Who is given the credit for starting the tradition of New Year’s kiss?
28. What Australian city has one of the largest New Year’s celebrations?
29. Which nation celebrates the New Year first?
30. In the Jewish religion, what is Rosh Hashanah?
31. What singer died on January 1, 1985 in a plane crash?
32. Which place in the world is the last to ring the New Year?
33. Where in the world do men dress up as demons on New Year’s to scare the kids into behaving well?
34. In what ancient country were eggs given as gifts on New Year’s Day?
35. On January 1, 1945 someone announced he was not a living god. Who was it?
36. Where is it considered to be good luck to wear red underwear on New Year’s?
37. What is one of the top New Year’s resolutions?
38. Who was proclaimed to be the Empress of India on January 1, 1877?
39. The households of this country follow the tradition of having twelve grapes in the first twelve seconds of the year. Can you guess which country it is?
40. When was the first Tournament of Roses in Pasadena, California?
41. What famous group failed to pass a tryout for Decca Records on January 1?
42. Which foods are considered to be bad luck if consumed on New Year’s?
43. If you are in Scotland on New Year’s eve, who do you kiss at midnight?
44. Who celebrated the first New Year’s celebration?
45. When do the Ethiopians mark their New Year’s, as per the Gregorian calendar?
46. Who was the first broadcast host of the Times Square New Year’s Eve celebration?
47. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau it was revealed that more ____ got stolen on New Year’s Eve. Fill in the blank?
48. Which calendar was invented during the French Revolution to observe the new age of liberty?
49. What was the first year there were fireworks for the New York New Year’s Eve celebration?
50. What famous person took over the festivities in the 1970s?
51. January derives from which language?
52. About 360 million glasses of what drink are served in the United States each New Year’s Eve?
53. On January 1, 1803, a Caribbean country gained independence from France. What country was it?
54. Which 1000-year long song was launched on January 1, 2000?
55. People eat special foods on New Year’s Eve and Day believing they will bring good things during the coming year. True or false?
56. The highest box office sales for a movie shown on a New Year’s Day were for which movie?
57. Which festival is held in Antarctica to celebrate New Year’s?
58. What was the total diameter of New Year Eve ball before 2008?
59. What materials made up the first-ever Times Square New Year’s Eve Ball?
60. How many Americans make a New Year’s resolution?
61. Pennsylvanian Trembler did what on January 1, 1788?
62. To stick on New Year resolution Southern US beliefs in what?
63. How many colors can the Times Square New Year’s Eve Ball display?
64. How much champagne is consumed by Americans during the time of New Year’s?
66. What ancient Greek god’s celebrations inspired Baby New Year?
67. Where in the world will you find the Mummers Parade on New Year’s in which participants perform a walk through the city in unique costumes?
68. Kwanzaa is the tradition of African American, do you know the meaning of that?
69. What is the name of the Iranian New Year day?
70. The Dutch believe eating what on New Year’s Day will bring good luck?
71. Sanskar Padwa a New Year day celebrate in which region of India?
73. The Baloch Hindu people in Pakistan and India celebrate New Year according to which Calendar?
74. The new year named Puthandu celebrates at which region of India?
75. How many babies are born on New Year’s Day in the United States?
76. New Year’s traditions originated from which Pagan holiday?
77. Name the celebrity who was born January 1, 1895?
79. What is a custom for the head of the household to spank who on New Year’s day?
80. Which newspaper was the sponsor of the first-ever Times Square New Year’s party?
81. Before Thirteenth-century England and Germany which is style dating for New Year?
82. The tradition of eating Hoppin’ John on New Year’s Day is believed to help restore world peace. True or false?
83. In which country Molybdomancy is a ritual practiced?
84. Name a warm, cider-like punch with English origins that used to be a popular New Year’s Eve drink?
85. Which city in Europe hosts one of the largest New Year’s Eve celebrations?
86. How many people attend The New Year’s celebration in Berlin?