Detroit is a city of many firsts thanks to its incredible population of innovative thinkers. The first paved road, the first individually assigned phone numbers, the first state fair, and also it is the first place an automatic coffee maker was used.
Did you know that Detroit has America’s second-biggest theater district? Coming second to New York, the city has 30,000 theater seats and nearly three dozen theaters. The fox theatre is the most famous of its kind. You can watch a broadway show or even a wrestling match from any of these theatres.
Detroit Facts Trivia Questions and Answers – 2022 – 2023
Detroit is in the middle of a cultural renaissance and there is no better way to experience it all other than visiting the place. But first, go on a virtual trip with the following Detroit trivia questions sure to help you understand the ins and outs of the city.
1. Detroit has derived a French word. What does it mean?
2. What is the tallest building in Detroit?
3. What road is the “Demarcation Line” between Detroit and its northern suburbs?
4. Where is the ‘Worlds Largest Tire’ located?
5. Who is considered the founder of the city of Detroit (Fort Ponchartrain)?
6. When completed in 1930, this nearly a-mile-long landmark became the first of its kind in the world?
7. When was Detroit the capital of Michigan?
8. What city is the smallest Wayne County city in land area?
9. Who was the first African American elected Mayor of Detroit?
10. What is the name of the stadium that has housed the Detroit Tigers since 2000?
11. What is the name of Detroit’s professional baseball team?
12. Who was nominated as a candidate for President at the 1980 Republican National Convention hosted in Detroit?
13. Who designed the layout of Detroit?
14. What is the name of the bridge which connects Detroit with Windsor, Ontario, Canada?
15. What city is home to the Chrysler USA Headquarters?
16. In the seventies, what famous sports celebrity coached the University of Detroit basketball team?
17. The Country Club of Detroit is not actually located in Detroit, it however is located in which city?
18. What is the airport code for Detroit Wayne County Metropolitan Airport?
19. The world’s first ice climbing park opened in Rochester Hills in 1992?
20. Detroit is the second-largest Michigan city in terms of population. True or False?
21. Joe Louis Arena, home of the Red Wings opened for hockey in 1979. True or False?
22. In 1999, the mayor of Detroit was Dennis Archer? True or False?
23. What was the nickname for Olympia Stadium, former home of the Detroit Red Wings?
24. Detroit is the largest city in what U.S. state?
25. What Detroit mayor went on to become a U.S. Supreme Court justice?
26. It is also the largest U.S. city on what?
27. True or false: Detroit has had a female mayor?
28. It is the seat of government of what county?
29. What does the “K” in Kmart stand for?
30. The City of Detroit had what population at the 2020 census?
31. What was Detroit first known as?
32. What was Mayor Hazen S. Pingree’s nickname?
33. The metropolitan area, known as Metro Detroit, is home to how many people?
34. What was a one-time name for Belle Isle?
35. That makes it the second largest in the Midwest after what?
36. What is the oldest continually operating business in Detroit?
37. Where are the “Mile” roads measured from?
38. What does “Campus Martius” mean?
39. Regarded as a major cultural center, Detroit is known for its contributions to what?
40. Time named Detroit as one of what?
41. Which of the following was NOT invented by a Detroiter?
42. Detroit is a major port on what river?
43. Ossip Gabrilowitsch, founding director of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, was married to the daughter of which famous American author?
44. It’s one of the four major straits that connect the Great Lakes system to what?
45. The City of Detroit anchors the second-largest regional economy in the Midwest, behind who?
46. Which U.S. president was assassinated by a Detroiter?
47. What was the world’s first urban freeway, completed in 1942?
48. Detroit is best known as the center of what?
49. The “Big Three” auto manufacturers General Motors, Ford, and Stellantis North America (Chrysler) are all headquartered where?
50. Detroit and its neighboring Canadian city Windsor are connected through what?
51. As Detroit’s industrialization took off, the Detroit River became what?
52. Which of these jobs did Coleman A. Young NOT hold before becoming mayor?
53. Detroit is north of Canada. True or False?
54. What is the name of the island in the Detroit River that the Indy Grand Prix race is held on?
55. What is the name of America’s first soda, created in Detroit?
56. What was the name of America’s first urban freeway?
57. Which Detroit men’s sports team does not have their stadium/arena within the city limits?
58. Which two Great Lakes are connected by the Detroit River?
59. Detroit was a stop on the Underground Railroad. True or False?
60. What was the name of the notorious gang that organized the smuggling of Canadian spirits during Prohibition?
61. Which of these was not an original name of the Fillmore Detroit?
62. What group of immigrants originally established Corktown in Detroit?
63. What was the commonly known name of the Amusement Park that used to be on Bois Blanc Island in the Detroit River?
64. Where were the Detroit Pistons originally located?
65. What are the most points the Pistons ever scored in a game?
66. Which Pistons player is featured in a Super Nintendo game called Combat Basketball?
67. Which Piston was the first recipient of the NBA Sportsmanship Award?
68. Who did the Pistons defeat to win their first NBA championship?
69. Who is the tallest player in Pistons’ history?
70. Who is the Detroit Pistons’ career leader in points, assists, and steals?
71. Which Detroit Pistons coach has the highest winning percentage?
72. What is the Detroit Pistons mascot?
73. Who was the first Piston to win the Sixth Man of the Year Award?
74. Which player was named NBA Finals MVP in 2004?
75. Who was the first Piston with more than 250 blocks in a season?
76. Who holds the franchise single-season record for points?
77. Which Piston played for Detroit his entire career?
78. Which player won championships in the AAU, NCAA, and NBA?
79. Which player has the highest single-season free throw percentage in franchise history?
80. Who was the first Piston to win the Rookie of the Year Award?
81. Which Piston holds the NBA record for most missed free throws in a game?
82. Who was the first Piston with more than 1,000 defensive rebounds in a season?
83. Who was the first Piston with 10 triple-doubles in a season?
84. If you mail a letter to ZIP code 48222, where does it end up?
85. Yell out, “Two to go, no onions!” What are you going to get?
86. What is the official name of the Belle Isle bridge?
87. Which celebrity was NOT born in Detroit?
88. True or false: Belle Isle is the largest island park in the U.S.?
89. True or false: Detroit was originally the capital of Michigan?
90. The first automaker to offer air-conditioning in their vehicles was?
91. Which of these was NOT a Boblo boat?