Have you ever been hanging out with your friends for lunch and one of your friends finds out from social media that there was a terror attack at a particular place, or a certain celebrity has given birth, or the government has passed a certain bill into law?
There are so many things that happen in a day, but, what happened on October 14, in history?
Let’s find out!
- 1066 – The Battle of Hastings occurred in England.
- 1834 – Henry Blair became the First African-American to be granted a US patent for a corn planter.
- 1926 – The popular children’s book character, Winnie-the-Pooh, authored by AA Milne, made its literary debut.
- 1944 – The Second British Parachute Brigade liberated the city of Athens, during World War II.
- 1946 – Netherlands & Indonesia signed cease fire.
- 1947 – American Air Force test pilot, Chuck Yeager, became the first human to fly faster than the speed of sound.
- 1957 – Queen Elizabeth II became the first Canadian monarch to open the Parliament of Canada with the Speech from the Throne.
- 1960 – U.S. presidential candidate John F. Kennedy first suggested the idea of a Peace Corps.
- 1964 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his non-violent resistance to racial prejudice in America.
- 1964 – Philips began experimenting with color TV.
- 1966 – 175 US airplanes bombed North Vietnam.
- 1969 – The United Kingdom introduced the 50pcoin, replacing the ten-shilling note, in anticipation of currency decimalization in 1971.
- 1970 – Anwar el-Sadat became president of Egypt following the death of President Nasser.
- 1970 – US performed a nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 1982 – US President Reagan proclaims a war on drugs.
- 1983 – Sgt Allen Soifert, a US Marine peacekeeper, was killed by sniper in Beirut.
- 2002 – Britain stripped power from the Catholic and Protestant politicians of Northern Ireland.
- 2011 – The Apple iPhone 4S was released.
- 2014 – The World Health Organization announced Ebola virus death toll at 4,447.
- 2020 – A copy of William Shakespeare’s First Folio sold for a record $9.98 million at auction in New York.